Combat Suggestions

MePhone4S

Before the combat update comes, I want to talk about what I think should be added.

1. Defensive mechanics- You have two options to prevent some/all damage. A timed parry, that lasts 2 seconds, will negate all damage from melee weapons and stunlock the enemy for 0.5 seconds. Or you could block, which you can hold up forever to negate 60% of the damage, but your enemy will not be stunlocked. Each of these slow you down by 70% and make your character delay when turning. Blocking/parrying will only cover you in a 180 Degree angle from the front. Any attacks that hit your backside will get a 50% damage bonus.

2. Weapon collision- If your enemy attacks you, and you swing right before the attack hits you, your weapons collide. This will cause both of you to be stunlocked for 0.5 seconds and no damage will be dealt. However, heavy weapons ignore this completely.

3. Incapacitate/Unconsciousness- Upon reaching low health, you will enter a wounded state. This will cause your character to fall down and toss and turn, screaming in pain. You will get up if not damaged in this state after 20 seconds, but you can still be looted.  Then there is unconsciousness, consciousness is measured by a hidden percentage. Blunt weapons can decrease this percentage by a certain number, depending on how powerful they are (Developers decide). Once the percentage reaches 0, it instantly goes down to -5%. Once your consciousness goes below 0%, you go unconscious, you can't see or hear anything and can't interact. Your character will also fall to the ground and become lootable and draggable. If your opponent hits you while unconscious, your percentage goes down even more, up to -50%. It takes 2 seconds to regain 1% of consciousness.

(Credits to LeoIvonav for 4-6)

4. Ability to lock and switch your targets on the fly - it's often quite hard to catch up to a person with a high sprint level on servers with high latency - they would skip all over the place, disappear, teleport around you and deal you damage in a matter of moments. And I don't think I have to mention the fact that you need that option for the PvP firefights :P

5.  Higher exertion/panic/pain affect your windup speed, but not the hitting speed. That way you can still get away from a lunging zombie/incoming attack/shove without having to stand there locked into place because your swing animation is slow as hell. Slower windup lets players be more careful about timing their swings, allows more window for less exhausted players to take advantage of an extra hit as well as some restricted movement during the windup itself.

6. Ability to properly push/shove other players away, with a chance of making them stumble and fall. We always get moments where we're caught in a terrible position with no weapons, and have that reluctant asshat fighting you with some form of axe or melee weapon. By allowing players to push them away, dazing/stumbling them, you get a chance to get away, introducing this cat-and-mouse mechanic where it takes skill to hunt down and kill even an unarmed player. (Unless they have a shotgun... If so, just run. Simple, right? Just like in real life.) 

(Edit)

7. Stealth moves- Things like dragging a zombie/player out of an open window to stun them, and then beating them senseless with a bludgeon weapon to cause a KO. Or waiting for someone by hiding behind a wall, and hitting them as they pass for a 20% damage bonus and a stagger.

Edited by MePhone4S

While i like the idea of adding depth to melee vs melee combat, not a big fan of the incapacitated mechanic, especially for this kind of game. Maybe you could just be knocked down, only getting up if you move? That way if you're subdued you could just stay down, and hopefully whoever you're fighting will take what they want and leave.

5 hours ago, hunger john said:

While i like the idea of adding depth to melee vs melee combat, not a big fan of the incapacitated mechanic, especially for this kind of game. Maybe you could just be knocked down, only getting up if you move? That way if you're subdued you could just stay down, and hopefully whoever you're fighting will take what they want and leave.

I think some sort of introduction of "falling unconscious" is due time at this point, especially considering that blunt weapons are the worst that you could choose in a PvP fight. They only deliver damage to your health, and seem to have no lasting consequences that would eventually kill you if not treated with proper care, like axes or knives do with their bleeding and deep cuts. I think the fact that you can be dazed and knocked out on a lucky hit is a fair trade to balance out the weapons. 

To add to the OP: 

4. Ability to lock and switch your targets on the fly - it's often quite hard to catch up to a person with a high sprint level on servers with high latency - they would skip all over the place, disappear, teleport around you and deal you damage in a matter of moments. And I don't think I have to mention the fact that you need that option for the PvP firefights :P

5.  Higher exertion/panic/pain affect your windup speed, but not the hitting speed. That way you can still get away from a lunging zombie/incoming attack/shove without having to stand there locked into place because your swing animation is slow as hell. Slower windup lets players be more careful about timing their swings, allows more window for less exhausted players to take advantage of an extra hit as well as some restricted movement during the windup itself.

6. Ability to properly push/shove other players away, with a chance of making them stumble and fall. We always get moments where we're caught in a terrible position with no weapons, and have that reluctant asshat fighting you with some form of axe or melee weapon. By allowing players to push them away, dazing/stumbling them, you get a chance to get away, introducing this cat-and-mouse mechanic where it takes skill to hunt down and kill even an unarmed player. (Unless they have a shotgun... If so, just run. Simple, right? Just like in real life.) 

2 hours ago, LeoIvanov said:

By allowing players to push them away, dazing/stumbling them, you get a chance to get away, introducing this cat-and-mouse mechanic where it takes skill to hunt down and kill even an unarmed player. (Unless they have a shotgun... If so, just run. Simple, right? Just like in real life.) 

:Dhahahahahahhaha! love this line! But anyway, I like the last one. I think that you should be able to target certain parts of the body, like the arm to make it so they cant fight, or the legs to bring them down. The smaller the target though, the better your aim has to be.

Heya,

Please don't bump suggestions threads. I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, but people either have something to say about it or don't, and they can find it via searching. If everyone bumped their threads it would be anarchy. Just giving you a heads up this time so you know; next time thread gets locked. Cheers.

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 0:55 PM, LeoIvanov said:

I think some sort of introduction of "falling unconscious" is due time at this point, especially considering that blunt weapons are the worst that you could choose in a PvP fight. They only deliver damage to your health, and seem to have no lasting consequences that would eventually kill you if not treated with proper care, like axes or knives do with their bleeding and deep cuts. I think the fact that you can be dazed and knocked out on a lucky hit is a fair trade to balance out the weapons. 

I agree.  Considering that IRL they can and do cause concussions, this is an interesting idea.

Maybe throw fractures into the mix?  Not sure I want to try this at home, but can a sledgehammer break a bone?  After all, it can break concrete, wood, etc.

Edited by MyTJ

• 4 weeks later...

Number 6 suggests pushing someone away he's close, good against someone trying to hit you with something. I think wrestling over the weapon would make more sense, but I don't know how that could be simulated in PZ. If someone's got the self-defence class trait or maybe even a martial artist trait then he could perform a disarming technique, and maybe throw him or break or dislocate something.

Number 2's weapon collisions. Maybe with a martial artist trait you could collide weapons even if it's a big one against a not-so-big one because you'd know how, and have an advantage against a sledge-hammer with any weapon because it's too slow.

Like the idea of weapon collision, but doubt about the idea of defensive mode.

During melee fight in PZ, the only thing we can decide is when to hit. So I think the defensive mode should be used for reducing the chance (and different weapon or shields should have different possibility figure) that we getting hit, not simply reducing the damage. 

And I also think it's better to mix the parry action and push action into one button. If the opponents are not attacking (I mean actual attack, not entering attack mode ) on us, then we can only push them back (but they won't fall down). If they are attacking us and we parry first, we can negate the damage and trip them over on the ground (may have different animation from push action).

Edited by blackteapie

On 7/9/2016 at 8:03 PM, zoeyflower said:

It would be awesome if, when aiming your shotgun for example and you get hit by a zombie or player offguard, you would drop that shotgun / long rifle / gun / whatever youre holding and aiming with.

Another feature from the last of us (boy i love that game) that I'd love to see in the new update:D

I think getting hit in the arm/hand should incur a chance of dropping your weapon, doesn't make much sense if you get scratched on the foot then drop your firearm... Makes more sense that, should a player being using their firearm's sights and be hit by an attack (anywhere: foot arm, torso, etc), that the player staggers/flinches while lowering his/her weapon a bit before a brief recovery being able to shoulder their weapon again to aim.