Brexit and RJ

CaptKaspar

59 minutes ago, Teesee said:

RJ is French, why should it be a problem with Brexit? 

The majority of TIS are British, while RJ is French. 

Also this thread was meant as a light-hearted joke about a very serious situation that will likely affect the lives of millions of people. I hope the British are making the right decision and everything goes smoothly...

It's not really that funny. The future of immigrants (including almost a million of Poles) is now dependant of what the British Parliament decides. It's not that funny for me either. I've been 2 years in England, working and paying taxes and now I don't know if I I'll be eligible to enter that country and work as I used to.

Edited by Geras

UK facepalm**

To be truly fair we were never really part of the EU - de Gaulle actually had it pat when he vetoed us joining because as he saw it we either towed the line and agreed to its principles or didn't and stayed out. Since we wanted extra benefits he was right to say "non." Since then its just been a cash grab for us. Because we're an island and worse a jingoistic one at that we wanted all the benefits and none of the problems. The EU didn't like that so there was always an us and them mentality to our being part of it. In more politically understandable terms the EU depends on Germany, France and the UK and it was always weak because our leg of the political tripod was shaky. Now that its been removed I kind of expect the EU to dissolve. I don't think it can survive with being just Germany and France. 

4 minutes ago, Geras said:

It's not really that funny. The future of immigrants (including almost a million of Poles) are now dependant of what the British Parliament decides. It's not that funny for me either. I've been 2 years in England, working and paying taxes and now I don't know if I I'll be eligible to enter that country and work as I used to.

Come to France. We have RJ. We have delicious pastries. We have cheese. We have absolutely no demonstrations whatsoever regarding laws about work. Not at all! 

On a more serious note, I was for the "remain", but on the other hand, the UK has always had a special position in the EU. As a friend of mine said, this is a new beginning. Just not the one we hoped for.

Back on topic, how many people working on PZ are actually in the UK? I'm not so sure about them being the majority. But I don't know, actually. 

36 minutes ago, kirrus said:

Andy, Chris, Will, Ringo are all in the UK. As am I, but not sure if I count ;)

This is.. terrible. Anyone up for moving to Canada?

Canada in 5 years has always been my plan, guess this might make me think if I want to make that 3 years.

I can shamefully say, as an ignorant American, that I have no idea what everyone is referring to. I'll have to go look it up. It's weird, I try to keep up with current events but this must have managed to slip by.

24 minutes ago, Spracky said:

I can shamefully say, as an ignorant American, that I have no idea what everyone is referring to. I'll have to go look it up. It's weird, I try to keep up with current events but this must have managed to slip by.

I'm mildly surprised, but there's nothing to be ashamed of when you take into account the elections coming up ahead in the USA. They probably take a loooot of media attention and... Who in America cares about the EU? :-P

Basically, UK is going to leave the EU. 

Edited by Teesee

12 minutes ago, Teesee said:

I'm mildly surprised, but there's nothing to be ashamed of when you take into account the elections coming up ahead in the USA. They probably take a loooot of media attention and... Who in America cares about the EU? :-P

Basically, UK is going to leave the EU. 

The election is the main focus of the media currently, yes. But that's shocking, the UK has always been a big part of EU. This will be interesting to see go down.