Question

Hey there. I've had this laptop for a good many years now, I know it's old. It was new when Windows 7 came out. But I was able to play PZ up until I got my PC a few years ago.

I've updated my display drivers. I've updated to the latest Java 32bit and 64bit. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, checked integrity of game cache files, restarted, restarted, restarted.

I absolutely cannot get past two seconds into the game load before it crashes. In 32bit, a window pops up with a Java error. In 64bit (this is a 64bit machine) the error shows up in the command prompt.

If anyone has any clue about why this is happening, I'd like to know. I know it's an older machine but it is completely up to date and like I said:  it's played PZ before.

Thanks.

pz 32bit crash.png

pz 64bit crash.png

5 answers to this question

Welp. It looks like it can't be a memory issue--at least not anymore. Only a little over 50% of the available RAM is being used. Having the player only being a 3D model crashes Java, every time. Again, I have the latest updated display drivers. I hate this laptop.

Small Update:  I restarted the Desktop Window Manager service, because I remembered that disabling it screwed with Open Broadcaster Software Studio, because of Java reasons. However, it still crashes. Again, my display drivers are all up to date. I was able to play PZ in 32bit for about 15 seconds before it stopped working again. Everything displays correctly, framerate is fine, animations are fine... it just ... doesn't want to play.

If it's because my graphics card is an Intel Core i5 M460 CPU then I guess there's nothing I can do about the crashing. It looks as though it'd play fine, though. I have no idea what's triggering the crashes. I'll see if the command prompt brings something up.

Thanks.

pz 32bit with dwm crash.png

pz 64bit with dwm crash.png

I actually think, because it displays just fine, that it might be a memory issue. There's only 4 gigs of RAM on this machine and PZ almost maxes it out. I wish there was a way to keep the 3d models but reduce memory usage. I can play games like Tera, Aion, WoW and others just fine on here. I wonder why it takes so much memory to load one 3d model... Anyway, I made sure I had the very latest driver downloaded from the Intel website, no doubt about that. Being able to allocate memory like you can in Minecraft would be nice though. It does indeed play with all 3D off.

Thanks,

-Vicky

Heya Vick,

This is definitely due to graphics card/drivers. If you haven't tried updating the drivers directly from the manufacturer give that a go (if you're just trusting Windows to do it for you, it may not be pulling the most recent one). That being said, you may also be able to play anyways if you disable 3D models, shaders, 3D zombies, and zoom in the menu. Give that a go and let me know what happens- if it still doesn't work give me a holler and I'll see what else we can do for you. Cheers, and good luck.

Archived