Ideas for my D&D apocalyptic campaign setting
4 4

13 posts in this topic

I'm creating a campaign setting in which the most of the world was destroyed by a Doomsday meteors from an ancient prophecy. The surviving part of the world is in a major crisis as it is left in a hellish nightmare of a land, due to meteor blood pollution(very dangerous swamp areas) banditry, economic decline, pestilence, and many small regional wars. What I need help with is in providing cool environments, npcs, dungeons, towns, and adventure ideas, with this campaign setting in mind. Anyone can help if they want, so please, if anyone has any help at all, reply to my post. Thanks for reading.

Edited by TheWraithPlayer

Well while 3rd & 3.5 editions aren't my Forte I can point you to some other help. I've found R/Worldbuilding  and R/D&DBehindTheScreen very useful when brainstorming. The concept and setting sound great though so good luck with that. You could do an encounter/adventure where someone lost their home/farmstead to the boggy marshes and you need to reclaim a family heirloom from the sunken wreckage of their home or something to that effect. Sorry I couldn't be much help other than that.

1 minute ago, Shadewolf10 said:

Well while 3rd & 3.5 editions aren't my Forte I can point you to some other help. I've found R/Worldbuilding  and R/D&DBehindTheScreen very useful when brainstorming. The concept and setting sound great though so good luck with that. You could do an encounter/adventure where someone lost their home/farmstead to the boggy marshes and you need to reclaim a family heirloom from the sunken wreckage of their home or something to that effect. Sorry I couldn't be much help other than that.

still, thanks for the links, and that's an interesting adventure hook.

Rathlord   

Are you looking for like... pre-built encounters or something? Otherwise D&D version really doesn't matter at all if you're just looking for ideas. I've played D&D for years but very little 3.5e and no 3e. Bit of AD&D and 2. Mostly 4e and a sprinkle of 5e in recent years. Would be happy to help out with stuff, throw you some ideas, or write a character or something if you want, but like I said... not much play in the editions you listed if that's super important to you for whatever reason. Cheers and good luck.

Kajin   

I cut my tabletop gaming teeth on 3.5 D&D. Haven't played it in years, but I wouldn't mind going back to it. I want to run a game so bad I can't see straight, but I don't have the time for the planning myself T.T

But I wouldn't mind trying to lend some help here or there. Plus I like post apocalyptic scenarios.

19 hours ago, Rathlord said:

Are you looking for like... pre-built encounters or something? Otherwise D&D version really doesn't matter at all if you're just looking for ideas. I've played D&D for years but very little 3.5e and no 3e. Bit of AD&D and 2. Mostly 4e and a sprinkle of 5e in recent years. Would be happy to help out with stuff, throw you some ideas, or write a character or something if you want, but like I said... not much play in the editions you listed if that's super important to you for whatever reason. Cheers and good luck.

Not really, you have a point. there are just some certain statistics in cities and certain monsters that having 3e or 3.5e may be useful. Same goes for npcs. But pretty much ideas would be nice. thanks for asking that question, I hadn't thought of that.

What level is your campaign going to be?  Are you starting a lvl 1?  Or, lvl 10? etc.

I find that any post-apocalyptic D&D game can always use more Aberrations.  Think, Aboleth in one of the many swamps in your world.  Gricks infesting a half-sunken city.  An Ettercap has taken roost in an old farmstead whose inhabitants have long been devoured, but this cripples what meager trade the local area has going for it.

If your world is constantly overcast (fallout from the meteor stikes), crops are barely able to survive and monsters normally restricted to the darkness of night or inky black caves are free to wander the surface.  And, the rain can be black and ashy, contaminating many water supplies.  Outsiders like Chaos Beasts and Gibbering Mouthers may have been entombed in the meteors and let loose upon the world's inhabitants.  An undead plague could be spreading across the land as Vampires and bandits slay towns at a time.

Chromatic dragons may have free reign over the world, as society's only hope against the creatures was strength in numbers.  Perhaps, chromatic dragons are few and far between, many died as the metallic dragons took up the fight for the lesser races, but in the end there are no more metallic dragons (maybe).

Dwarves have become entirely secluded, intending to weather the storm in their mountain strongholds.  But, this seclusion has left them prejudiced and unwelcoming.  Elves, their forests burned and withered, now wander the land as tribal nomads.  Gnomes are non-existant, being so rare to begin with, without their dens to assist in surviving they have been all but wiped out.  Half-orcs are much more common as roaming tribes of Orcs rape and pillage the land.

17 minutes ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Cool ideas! My campaign level is currently undetermined, as what I'm doing is slowly transitioning from a peaceful (mostly) world into that.

Thanks!  I would definitely recommend looking into some of the darker campaign setting books, Dark Sun and Ravenloft come to mind...  They both have that harsh survival atmosphere, where everything seems to want to kill you, but you and your party of adventurers are a beacon of hope in an otherwise desolate world.  Hopefully, the players don't end up as cannon fodder blindly charging at threats, but they will only do that once and that's what back-up characters are for.

Edited by CalmUnity

On 8/12/2016 at 8:00 PM, CalmUnity said:

Thanks!  I would definitely recommend looking into some of the darker campaign setting books, Dark Sun and Ravenloft come to mind...  They both have that harsh survival atmosphere, where everything seems to want to kill you, but you and your party of adventurers are a beacon of hope in an otherwise desolate world.  Hopefully, the players don't end up as cannon fodder blindly charging at threats, but they will only do that once and that's what back-up characters are for.

I've looked into Dark Sun before, but what is Ravenloft about?

I run a similar game that I homebrewed.

One important tip is to write your guns out and make them more lethal.

make players have no base Armor level and need to get into cover positions to stack armor onto their equipped armor.

Also take into account the Overwatch Factor from Xcom

Basically if someone has an extra action available then they came make long distance opportunity attack. 

What about like, a huge petrified forest with no remaining vegetation, filled with skeletal and otherwise corrupted version of the fauna that used to live there.  Like a SKELETON FOREST.

On 9/25/2016 at 8:52 AM, TheWraithPlayer said:

I've looked into Dark Sun before, but what is Ravenloft about?

Ravenloft is a dark place. Kind of like the negative material place, but the evil there has a purpose rather that just being evil for evils sake.

It's the type of campaign you run if you want to put your party through bad black and white horror movies. It's not made to be 'beaten'. If you are a SUPER generous GM, you might maybe let the party escape- with deep psychological scars, but nothing that could be really called 'loot' or 'good memories'.

Reminds me of a quote from a game I used to play.

"This is how you died."