More Tree Detail

TheWraithPlayer

After just reading the latest mondoid  at http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2016/06/career-zeds/ and seeing the video on trees, I realized that there needs to be more variety. Now, some of you may not be taking me seriously right now because there are nice variety of trees, but I don't mean the species of tree, what I'm taking about right now is the quality of wood. As I, and just about any other person that works with wood knows, that different species have different hardness and looks. This would be applied in the game by different kinds of wood constructs having different strengths, and different kind also looking different, some looking better a than others. It would also show how much damage would be done to your axe.

Next, chainsaws, a destructive weapon, and an amazing tool. It would cut down trees a lot faster that an axe, do more damage than any other weapon, and would be pretty easy to use, your aim not being as important. But it would have problems, like you'd have to be strong to use it, they'd be very rare, they would be extremely loud, and it would swallow up our precious fuel.

Finally (I don't know if they have this, so if they do, let me know) I think that trees should reproduce and grow on their own, making barren neighbor hoods, into shrouded forests given enough time. You should also be able to collect seeds from said trees when you cut them down, or as a forage drop when under a tree, then you could take it home and plant it, being able to create and orchard. this would lead to a variety of fruit bearing trees, allowing characters to have more variety in their gardening and cooking.

There is a system in the game called 'erosion' where the environment is slowly reclaimed by nature. Trees, shrubs, grasses all grow (to a set max tree density), roads crack, buildings crack, etc.

I am all for chainsaws with all their benefits and perils.

I am not sure if having a variety to the wood/logs/planks is overkill in a game or not. However, I could see the fun in searching for some hard oaks instead of using the abundant soft evergreens. I would cause the character to wander in the woods, which could make for some fun scenarios.

On 6/13/2016 at 5:11 PM, CaptKaspar said:

There is a system in the game called 'erosion' where the environment is slowly reclaimed by nature. Trees, shrubs, grasses all grow (to a set max tree density), roads crack, buildings crack, etc.

Thanks, I knew about erosion, but I wasn't sure on if the system involved trees or not.