Server Nightmare (Halp, I need somebody, Halp, not just anybody, Haaaaalp~)

Flaros

I've been attempting to get a basic server running for about 5 hours now.

I've tried using the in game hosting option and inviting another player to join me (I've also had the player in question try to click on my username and join me that way). However, they are unable to do so even after I send an invitation. The server, among other things, kicked her out due to "files not matching the server's [settings/files/something]" So there's that faint glimmer of hope right before being kicked in the balls.

So here's my question guys. Can you guys end my nightmare? Can you show me how to use the Project Zomboid game through the Host option to actually start a server where other players can join. The Host option in game, I would imagine, was put there to make things easier and not horribly frustrating.

To add insult to injury, the player trying to join my server is connected to my Wi-Fi which should in theory make the process easier as we're on the exact same network.

If I had hair to pull out, I would have been pulling it out the past 4 hours. No tutorials or guides have worked and most content I find is from 2014 or 2015 which does not help me in 2016 running version 34.28

I've tried making it public, removing passwords, everything. My firewall indicates that the 16261 port is in fact open. While my Xfinity account is actually preventing me from opening that port because... screw my life I guess.

So can anyone, please, please, please, tell me how to simply Host a server using the Project Zomboid game's Host option. I imagine it was put there to make things easy but it's been nothing but four hour headache and a waste of money for the other player who purchased the game exclusively to play with me Co-Op/Server.

Thank you so much in advance. I love this game and it kills me that I can't enjoy it with my friends.

Warmest Regards
Sean / Flaros

You don't need the port open if you are on the same wifi. I would recommend verifying both of your games' caches, and also double checking you are both on the same exact version.

Then host the server with the host button, and upon getting into the game, press escape and then click the invite button. Go to your friend's name and click the allow/deny button and make sure they are allowed into the game. And then they should be able to join your game by clicking on your name, or you inviting them, etc.

8 hours ago, Bughunter66 said:

You don't need the port open if you are on the same wifi. I would recommend verifying both of your games' caches, and also double checking you are both on the same exact version.

Then host the server with the host button, and upon getting into the game, press escape and then click the invite button. Go to your friend's name and click the allow/deny button and make sure they are allowed into the game. And then they should be able to join your game by clicking on your name, or you inviting them, etc.

Sorry to bother you, I know I'm a total noob and a pester. I just wanted to enjoy Zomboid multiplayer. I know for sure that we have the exact same versions, but we can uninstall and reinstall if needed.

I will probably have more questions I'm sure but I wanted to extend my sincerest thanks for being willing to help me out.

The question that comes to mind is how to verify our game's caches. That's admittedly not something I've ever done or even read up on while doing all that work.

I'm still afraid the server will tell her that it won't connect due to "Files not matching Server [Settings]" or something along those lines. So perhaps verifying the caches will fix the problem (along with uninstalling and reinstalling as well).

Thanks again for your help.

Warmest Regards,
Sean / Flaros

Okay, so in steam, if you right click on project zomboid in the library, and then click properties, it will open a new window. In that new window, go to the local files tab, and then click the verify integrity of game cache button. It can take a little while to fully verify the cache. If it finds any errors, it will tell you, and then proceed to attempt to fix those errors.

Also, are you guys working with any mods at all?