Door breaching

Keshash

So, i don't think, that destroying door entirely is a good way to break in. I suggest to add an option to break only a lock.

• Punch the door with your leg/slam it (maybe it isn't the correct word, I meant hitting it with whole your body). To balance it, maybe, only strong characters can do this and it'll work only with weak wooden doors.
  • Use special police tool/forge one by yourself (if metalworking is coming). Would require big, heavy thing that ain't easy to fit in the backpack.
  • Shoot the lock with ya shotgun. Would be pretty loud, but look very cool. And, it's fast.
  • Attach a bomb to it.  Would be loud, require pipe bomb (there is one in PZ, right?) and some duct tape.

Door with broken lock can have less HP, couldn't be locked and one can see though it. Also, ways to prevent it:

• Barricade door. Simple plank won't let you open any door, just like now.
  • Put something sturdy in the handle. Would require market-like door (those, with glass in it, just like the main doors in "Opening Hours") and a plank/axe/shovel/something_else. Similar to previous, but more makeshift. Maybe, would still have a chance to break.

Open all the doors. Be the Doorfighter.

https://youtu.be/72Ew-awbsNw

If you get through a door using brute force, however you do it, the door is going to become unusuable. This will happen due to either, breaks in the hinges, the lock, or the frame. You'd just end up with a free swinging door that cannot be locked. I mean, you could close it, but someone would just have to push it open.

For that reason, I don't really see a point in having a way to break the lock but not the door. That is, unless you're willing to add a repair mechanic to fix the lock/frame/hinges (whatever broke).

Other ways of opening doors seems nice though. I particularly like blowing it up. You can already break a door down by "pushing" it with space, room for improvement there though.

1 hour ago, Keshash said:

Still, if you need to open locked door fast, pushing it to the death isn't really effective. I don't know about American doors, but here, in Ukraine, it won't work. Almost all doors here are thick. 

People can definitely kick a door in with some work. The thickness of the door doesn't really matter, its the screws and stuff that hold the locking mechanism into place, and the wood that those screws are in. My old house had a very thick front door, and when 2 guys tried to break in, they kicked in the door, and it only took them probably a minute or two to get the door loose enough to just kinda open.

Edited by Bughunter66

What about the good ol' Credit Card breach? I mean, we have a Burglar profession, and the Credit Card are already a clutter item, so why not? The Burglar profession could start with the skill to do it, and maybe add the usual hyper-mega-ultra-rare skill magazine for other classes to learn it as well.

As a whole, I don't think it would negatively impact the game or make locked doors pointless. First, those cards are hard to get hold of (as they're only, and rarely, found on dead Zeds), and if you gave them a durability bar, even those with the skill would think twice about using it too much.

20 hours ago, Bughunter66 said:

Next we need to figure out what these "paper clips" do. I still think they are some leftover alien technology, but I need to conduct more research.

lol, Paper clips can be used to repair your fishing rod's line when it breaks :P

It takes some twine or fishing line along with a paper clip or nail to fix a broken line :)

As someone that almost always plays with the angler trait I try to only use paper clips to repair my lines since nails are so much more valuable.

On 6/16/2016 at 5:56 PM, Kuren said:

lol, Paper clips can be used to repair your fishing rod's line when it breaks :P

It takes some twine or fishing line along with a paper clip or nail to fix a broken line :)

As someone that almost always plays with the angler trait I try to only use paper clips to repair my lines since nails are so much more valuable.

Paper Clips would probably work a lot better to use as makeshift hooks. I personally think that fixing a fishing line with a nails, or even a paper clip (though paper clips would be a lot easier) is preposterous. I fish, and I have never heard of fixing broken line with nails.

3 hours ago, TheWraithPlayer said:

Paper Clips would probably work a lot better to use as makeshift hooks. I personally think that fixing a fishing line with a nails, or even a paper clip (though paper clips would be a lot easier) is preposterous. I fish, and I have never heard of fixing broken line with nails.

I'm pretty sure the point is that the paper clips and nails are being used as the new "hook" when you fix the line :P lol

Edit: I was always a little bummed there aren't hooks and boxes of hooks to find in-game to repair broken rods/lines with too (and to help me feel like a real fisherman when I'm playing :P ). Always felt like after breaking the line and repairing it the rod would never be as good as when it was new lol

Edited by Kuren

On 11.06.2016 at 8:47 PM, Keshash said:

So, i don't think, that destroying door entirely is a good way to break in. I suggest to add an option to break only a lock.

• Punch the door with your leg/slam it (maybe it isn't the correct word, I meant hitting it with whole your body). To balance it, maybe, only strong characters can do this and it'll work only with weak wooden doors.
  • Use special police tool/forge one by yourself (if metalworking is coming). Would require big, heavy thing that ain't easy to fit in the backpack.
  • Shoot the lock with ya shotgun. Would be pretty loud, but look very cool. And, it's fast.
  • Attach a bomb to it.  Would be loud, require pipe bomb (there is one in PZ, right?) and some duct tape.

Door with broken lock can have less HP, couldn't be locked and one can see though it. Also, ways to prevent it:

• Barricade door. Simple plank won't let you open any door, just like now.
  • Put something sturdy in the handle. Would require market-like door (those, with glass in it, just like the main doors in "Opening Hours") and a plank/axe/shovel/something_else. Similar to previous, but more makeshift. Maybe, would still have a chance to break.

Open all the doors. Be the Doorfighter.

https://youtu.be/72Ew-awbsNw

• >Shoot the lock with ya shotgun. Would be pretty loud, but look very cool. And, it's fast.
  • And then shot ricocheted right into the character.Genious idea,i think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12.06.2016 at 3:47 PM, Keshash said:

in Ukraine, it won't work

It won't work wherever metal doors are used and afaik american homes do not have metal doors (while storehouses or other buildings like garages or factories may have pretty robust metal doors).  So average healthy man can smash an average ingame door with a kick or two (if its is an inner door or an entrance door that opens INSIDE), or a couple of axe swings if it is an entrance door and it opens OUTSIDE. I have no idea why DEVs made doors (even room to room doors) so strong.

I think the best way to open a simple wooden door is to use a crowbar: silent, quick.  It could be implemented in an easy way by increasing DamageToDoors (or something like this) parameter of a crowbar. or in a proper way by adding new action and animation. And besides, we all love crowbars!