Driving Cars Mod

nolanri

Hello Nolanri,

quit awesome mod.

It works fine in Singleplayer (Even when its a little anoying to use the arrowkeys :D)

I also testet the mod on my local Lan Server which is quite powerfull (xenon cpu with 4x4 ghz sandybridge gen)

Here it seems to work "fine" as long i don't enter the active chunks of another user.

I didn't see any replication of the car hapening.

But the server "crashes" (more a freeze since the players are not diconnected but no progress will be saved and the area around you won't load further out (you will reach a black border that you can't enter)) when i enter the active area around another user.

Maybe the Alpha 34 "fixed" the replication bug? 

I guessed as much.

Well i wanted to atleast tell you that the dublication is gone.

Do you have time to look into the crashs? 

Or could you make an editet version were only destroyed cars spawn and without the repair function?

I really like the cars, the world feels more "right" with them around. More "lively". 

Working cars? In Project Zomboid? And TANKS?! And AIRPLANES?!?!?

_  _

0.0    <----- My shocked face

o

I am truly amazed at this. Multiple types of vehicles realistic to the location and with different fuel usage/storage/speeds that fit the vehicles themselves. While the interface is a bit clunky, I realize that you are doing this solo and have some fairly strict limitations to work within. Thank you more than words can tell for the work put into this.

My first look at this with the Rebuild (Drayton) map is pretty much what I expected after I mastered the controls. Rare finds, high value, require a rare resource to operate and if you break it you're seriously SOL. Haven't found a tank or plane yet, and only one gas can after weeks of searching. Doesn't help that the map has all of one gas station!

Future suggestions:

-Possibility of cars being automatic or manual transmission, plus a specific key for reverse ("R" maybe) before you can back up. If you shift a manual wrong or shift any car into reverse at more than a crawl forward you can damage or even ruin the car.

-Backing up warning beep on the trucks when in reverse, giving a downside to the hefty cargo storage.

-The tank requiring a military profession or a skill book to even start, or a menu option to "Learn startup sequence" that randomly takes hours to a day before it starts for the first time, because a quick google search shows that turning one on is NOTHING like operating any civilian vehicle except (very remotely) a tractor. Maybe a small time cut for characters with Electrical skill who would at least have some idea of what the hell all the buttons and levers did.

EDIT: Just thought of if you ever plan to make the tank gun(s) or the armored car's turret operable, or is that too much time/energy/overpowering to do? 

Edited by Last_Man_Standing

@amarxnthine

You can change these keys by going to the mod folder, in the case of steam that will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\ somewhere. Then find \Drive Cars\media\lua\client\DriveCars.lua Open it in notepad or notepad++. You will see an URL on near the top of the page, open that in your browser so you can see the key ID/Numbers for the keys you want to set. Then replace your key ID with the defaults you see just below the link. Restart PZ after and done. 

4 hours ago, chthonic said:

@amarxnthine

You can change these keys by going to the mod folder, in the case of steam that will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\ somewhere. Then find \Drive Cars\media\lua\client\DriveCars.lua Open it in notepad or notepad++. You will see an URL on near the top of the page, open that in your browser so you can see the key ID/Numbers for the keys you want to set. Then replace your key ID with the defaults you see just below the link. Restart PZ after and done. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw this on the Steam Workshop, I had to read the heading twice.

Awesome work, much appreciation for a clever approach to manipulating what's available to make vehicles.  And doing it for fun of your own accord and all that.

I pack-rat in these sorts of games, it's a compulsion, and it makes long-distance (ish) travel a challenge..  (3 hiking bags, anyone!?).  So this is great!  It does feel exploity but I can rationally justify it ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Why use a car object to control acceleration / fuel usage etc, when vehicle keys and bags on the player can do that for you?

Why not change or attach a sprite to the player model itself?

Cars, like doors, match to keys. Put all the code on the vehicle keys.

When you activate a key to get into a car, it runs a script to check proximity to a matching vehicle or car object.

The vehicle key then spawns a bag object on the player called 'trunk',

increases player carrying capacity accordingly, and makes the player invulnerable.

Everything in the car object which is really just a container like say, a dumpster with a vehicle sprite and loot table

is automatically transferred into the 'trunk' (bag) attached to the player.

Finally, the individual vehicle's sprite replaces or is attached /overlaps the player, and the

last of all, the original vehicle object is destroyed.

Make it a timed action that cancels / is undone if the player moves at all, to prevent exploits.

From here, fuel is just an object in the 'trunk' or a separate (bag) item in the inventory/equipped

to the player. Acceleration / handling / fuel consumption are all controlled by code attached

to the vehicle keys.

When the player presses a key to 'exit' the vehicle:

1. Spawn a matching vehicle object nearby.

2. Transfer contents of 'trunk' from player to vehicle object on ground

3. Remove 'trunk' from player bags

4. Make the player vulnerable again

5. Set player walk speed to normal

6. spawn  in or transfer fuel equivalent to whatever is left in inventory / in 'vehicle'

7. Change the player sprite or model back to normal / destroy vehicle sprite attached to player

8. Set player carrying capacity back to normal

This mitigates having to constantly update the position of a container

at all, because it has the player essentially act as the container,

and all the code runs on objects in inventory.

If I'm wrong, or misunderstanding something, or this wouldn't work

for some reason, let me know. Maybe this could solve for problems with mp? What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-09-03 at 8:47 AM, Fool said:

Why use a car object to control acceleration / fuel usage etc, when vehicle keys and bags on the player can do that for you?

Why not change or attach a sprite to the player model itself?

Cars, like doors, match to keys. Put all the code on the vehicle keys.

When you activate a key to get into a car, it runs a script to check proximity to a matching vehicle or car object.

The vehicle key then spawns a bag object on the player called 'trunk',

increases player carrying capacity accordingly, and makes the player invulnerable.

Everything in the car object which is really just a container like say, a dumpster with a vehicle sprite and loot table

is automatically transferred into the 'trunk' (bag) attached to the player.

Finally, the individual vehicle's sprite replaces or is attached /overlaps the player, and the

last of all, the original vehicle object is destroyed.

Make it a timed action that cancels / is undone if the player moves at all, to prevent exploits.

From here, fuel is just an object in the 'trunk' or a separate (bag) item in the inventory/equipped

to the player. Acceleration / handling / fuel consumption are all controlled by code attached

to the vehicle keys.

When the player presses a key to 'exit' the vehicle:

1. Spawn a matching vehicle object nearby.

2. Transfer contents of 'trunk' from player to vehicle object on ground

3. Remove 'trunk' from player bags

4. Make the player vulnerable again

5. Set player walk speed to normal

6. spawn  in or transfer fuel equivalent to whatever is left in inventory / in 'vehicle'

7. Change the player sprite or model back to normal / destroy vehicle sprite attached to player

8. Set player carrying capacity back to normal

This mitigates having to constantly update the position of a container

at all, because it has the player essentially act as the container,

and all the code runs on objects in inventory.

If I'm wrong, or misunderstanding something, or this wouldn't work

for some reason, let me know. Maybe this could solve for problems with mp? What do you guys think?

If you were to try it yourself, you would discover that there is no LUA functions available to do much of the things you suggest.  So modders impatient for updates to the API from the devs just make "hackjob" work arounds

17 hours ago, nolanri said:

If you were to try it yourself, you would discover that there is no LUA functions available to do much of the things you suggest.  So modders impatient for updates to the API from the devs just make "hackjob" work arounds

No worries nolanri. I love the mod. I seriously don't want to play Zomboid without it.

• 2 weeks later...

Also filled my Military Jeep with many guns, unloaded all of them at my safehouse. Then a few weeks later (in-game) I visited West-Point with the same car. And while I drove all the weapons duplicated itself again and suddenly my character weight was 1227 because everything loaded itself onto my character :D Is that the duplication bug that you talk about being gone, nolanri?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-09-30 at 8:31 AM, Migoxiss said:

Also filled my Military Jeep with many guns, unloaded all of them at my safehouse. Then a few weeks later (in-game) I visited West-Point with the same car. And while I drove all the weapons duplicated itself again and suddenly my character weight was 1227 because everything loaded itself onto my character :D Is that the duplication bug that you talk about being gone, nolanri?

I just can't see how this is related to anything code ish that happens in the mod.  Are you sure you didn't just push the ORGM test button that fills your inventory with 1 of every ORGM mod item?

On 19.10.2016 at 3:23 AM, nolanri said:

I just can't see how this is related to anything code ish that happens in the mod.  Are you sure you didn't just push the ORGM test button that fills your inventory with 1 of every ORGM mod item?

ORGM-test button? Never heard of that! Well that could be the solution, because of the sheer amount of weapons and ammunition etc. I got. 

2 minutes ago, Migoxiss said:

ORGM-test button? Never heard of that! Well that could be the solution, because of the sheer amount of weapons and ammunition etc. I got. 

I think the button is Insert..or End ...or Delete.  Or something near those.  ORGM added it so you can test to see if the mod is working. I asked them to remove it once but they said just delete the test.lua file yourself to stop it from happening when you push the button. 

Kind of sucks because if you push it you will have like 1000 pounds of guns and ammo etc in your inventory and it takes like 5 full minutes of dropping the items to clear your inventory.

The mod is totally awesome.
Been playing it with friends via LAN server. Lots of fun.
But now got the problem...
Bought new PC and the car textures are double sized. Tried almost everything to fix it - nothing helps.
If somebody already faced this problem and found the solution pls reply.
Also sorry for bad eng..

9732K1NVa54.jpg

Edited by D1zzy

• 1 month later...

So I'm having an issue where I can't seem to use the cars. No matter what I do, I can't seem to enter the car. I have the key in my inventory (main inventory, not a bag or anything) and the gas in the car, but I can't do anything other than "Sleep in Car".  There are 20 full gas cans in the car, I have the car key, I watched your video on the mod and did everything you did. I even checked the recipe and it says I have everything I need, but it's still grayed out. I also don't have a "Search for Key" option, but I can find it when I access their the trunk of the car. I'm not using any of the mods that the official mod page says it is incompatible with. I can't rename the key,  and it won't got on my keychain, either (Not sure if that's pertinent or not). Also, the car is not broken, and I've done it with the Jeep (Jeep2) and the Police car, both to no avail. Right clicking the key when there is gas in the trunk and the vehicle within my reach, doesn't give me the "Start Car" option either. Help is greatly appreciated, please, I'm really excited for this mod but can't really benefit with it :/

Thanks for the help, @nolanri!

Tanis

Edited by Tanis41493
Syntax error

On 2016-11-30 at 5:54 PM, Tanis41493 said:

So I'm having an issue where I can't seem to use the cars. No matter what I do, I can't seem to enter the car. I have the key in my inventory (main inventory, not a bag or anything) and the gas in the car, but I can't do anything other than "Sleep in Car".  There are 20 full gas cans in the car, I have the car key, I watched your video on the mod and did everything you did. I even checked the recipe and it says I have everything I need, but it's still grayed out. I also don't have a "Search for Key" option, but I can find it when I access their the trunk of the car. I'm not using any of the mods that the official mod page says it is incompatible with. I can't rename the key,  and it won't got on my keychain, either (Not sure if that's pertinent or not). Also, the car is not broken, and I've done it with the Jeep (Jeep2) and the Police car, both to no avail. Right clicking the key when there is gas in the trunk and the vehicle within my reach, doesn't give me the "Start Car" option either. Help is greatly appreciated, please, I'm really excited for this mod but can't really benefit with it :/

Thanks for the help, @nolanri!

Tanis

first disable all other mods. only have cars mod enabled. then see what happens and let me know

I have had renewed interest in try to make this support MP.  Have been working on the idea of changing from moving containers along the map to apply 3d car models over the character.  This would not only look better and drive better, but it would make MP Support very easy as there would be no problems from trying to sync massive amounts of container drops / pickups. 

here's what we go so far:

So after seeing that I know you now have the question "Why is the jeep your driving so small?" And that is because it turns out the area the 3d models are rendered in is only 256x256 pixels large.  Which makes sense if your only trying to fit a character in that space.  But cars wont be able to get any bigger than you see here without having the edges and tops chopped off... Unless TIS could provide a method to enlarge this area to like 512x512 or just increase it.

This is an image showing the 256x256 area

temp.png

Another downside to these small sized cars is obviously that the players head and or legs may be seen sticking out of the car.  Obviously we could make the model bigger to totally cover him if there was enough space to do so.

You might also be wondering why the jeep changed into a car when it crashed. that's just because I didn't bother making a matching sprite for this jeep model yet is all.

Other than this current sever limitation to the size we can make the 3d cars, everything else works and we could have 3d drivable cars that even work on MP (assuming you don't travel faster than the map can load).  And while that would be fun even with clown sized miniature cars.  WOuld be much more glamorous with full sized cars of course.  TIS can you give us a hand? Enlarge this 256x256 area?