Driving Cars Mod!

nolanri

Great job on those updates! Glad you are using my papers idea instead of shoes. I love the sounds and the horn! So cool! Some stuff i would like to see eventually added ...

1. Seat Belts - So if you crash at high speed you are thrown from you vehicle and get shards of glass lodged into you.

2. Hot Wire Cars - If you have no key you can hot wire a car with enough Electrical skill.

3. Car Alarms - Sometimes when hot wiring a car it sounds an alarm. Sometimes when looking for keys it sounds off an alarm. Also players can set car alarms for their own cars if they install a car alarm.

4. Flat Tires - Besides overall Car HP there should be tire HP. The longer you drive a car the more it wears out the tires. If you get a flat it shows you down. You can replace tires with a Spare Tire, Tire Iron and Car Jack. Note Hydrocraft has a Spare Tire and Tire Iron already. You can use them in your mod (with credit).

5. Car Fires - Big Car Crashes can start car fires and destroy the car.

6. Car Upgrades - Such as body spikes to impale zombies or armor plating to potect the car from damage.

7. More Vehicles - Such as School Bus, Fire Truck, Ambulance,  Sports Car, RV, Tow Truck, Cement Mixer, Shipping Truck, Postal Truck, Ice Cream Truck, Tanker Truck, Pickup Truck, Tractor, Motorcycle, Bicycle, Skateboard, Ox Cart, Train, Boats, Helicopter, Airplane, etc.

Also are those cars on the street from the random spawn code I posted?

Edited by Hydromancerx

It looks like the velocity and speed of car might need to be lowered a bit to look less like a drunk in a wheelchair in a skating ring. I swear I am rooting for you here, this will bring major life in PZ this comes out and will be filler until proper cars come.

Edited by sharkstertheshark

7 hours ago, Hicks said:

Any way to stop it from looking like it's driving on ice? 

yeah, there is a "drag" variable i made, and increasing it will lower the sliding BUT if like the sliding to drif on corner turns...  but yes it can be fine tuned

Also are those cars on the street from the random spawn code I posted?

Probably not all of them but most of them are for sure yes.  I do see how i could lower the spawn rate if i need to. but realistically lots of cars is not unrealistic...lol

Edited by nolanri

Your latest video is awesome! Some more ideas!

1. Headlights - Illuminates the area like a flashlight in front of your car.

2. Car Battery - Hydrocraft has an item of this already. It could be added to your car. It mainly would determine how much power is left in your headlights.

3. Air Conditioning - When turned on it can cool your player when its hot. It drains the Car Battery.

4. Heater - It can keep you warm in the cold weather. Also will drain your car battery.

5. Roof - Like the Raincoat and Umbrella Mod, it should keep you dry when in your car when it rains.

11 hours ago, sharkstertheshark said:

Could you tune down the vehicles thirst for gasoline? I go one mile and its already down to 50 percent. I am enjoying this so much though. 

If you could go much further with one gallon of gas, what would be the fun? It should come at a cost to travel quickly and safely inside a car. Plus, once power shuts down, it would make gas liquid gold.

12 hours ago, sharkstertheshark said:

Could you tune down the vehicles thirst for gasoline? I go one mile and its already down to 50 percent. I am enjoying this so much though. 

find one can and you can easily get to the nearest gas station and leave with like 20 cans.  check each vehicle you pass also as they can have gas. On all my attemps I have has like 20 -35 cans within an hour of player. I was thinking of making it burn MORE gas. 

18 hours ago, nolanri said:

find one can and you can easily get to the nearest gas station and leave with like 20 cans.  check each vehicle you pass also as they can have gas. On all my attemps I have has like 20 -35 cans within an hour of player. I was thinking of making it burn MORE gas. 

There's a pretty fine line between realism and fun. Let me explain.

If the cars burn more gas then a oil refinery on fire then people are gonna rather walk by the cars then go through the trouble of finding 100 gas cans to fuel 5 minutes. On a multiplayer server, through sheer competition for resources you'll be running out of ways to fuel up. What happens then? 1 can for 30 secs of drive time? Cars just become props at that point. If we wanna make cars hard why not have a wear and tear system? Why not have to go looking for tires if you pop one? Why not have a dice roll chance of battery failure? Spark plugs? Why not add support for hydrocrafts biofuel too?

Beside, getting on my knees and siphoning gas through a tube every 10 feet like a bad girl is gonna get repetitive and fast.

Edited by sharkstertheshark

3 hours ago, EvaN said:

Very nice mod, congratulations, but...

what's up with the "registration papers" ? I'm having one spawn each time I start a car...

I suggested it for when he found the key. But i have no idea why when you start the car each time. That should say require registration papers and then give one. Rather than using it up all the time. Right now its making like a bunch of papers. When there really only needs to be one.

33 minutes ago, Hydromancerx said:

I suggested it for when he found the key. But i have no idea why when you start the car each time. That should say require registration papers and then give one. Rather than using it up all the time. Right now its making like a bunch of papers. When there really only needs to be one.

Hum, I can't see the need for registration papers in a apocalipse... Sorry mister deadcop, looks like I stole this car ! Whatcha gonna do about it ? :P

Anyhow, I'll just keep stashing those on zed corpses and burning them once in a while, until this is fixed.

Talking about suggestion, how about that :

-Make "Car keys" rename-able with possibility to put them on the keyring

5 hours ago, EvaN said:

Hum, I can't see the need for registration papers in a apocalipse... Sorry mister deadcop, looks like I stole this car ! Whatcha gonna do about it ? :P

Anyhow, I'll just keep stashing those on zed corpses and burning them once in a while, until this is fixed.

Talking about suggestion, how about that :

-Make "Car keys" rename-able with possibility to put them on the keyring

The way recipes go is there needs to be some sort of output for every recipe. Recipes cannot be made without an output so the way around this is to have it use up a item in the recipe. Such as registration papers and then give you back them. Nolan and i talked about all sorts of items from Air Fresheners to Fuzzy Dice to Steering Wheels to Shoes! He said he may use a Drivers License instead. All items of course are pointless.

Shoes for instance would be nice if it were not for the fact they would use up your shoes every time making you have to put them back on. Originally the car Key was supose to be the item. But now that keys are specific to the car you find it in making a new one every time would not be good. Especially if you have more than one car key and it deleted the wrong key when it gives you back the key. Not to mention using it delete you special key and give you a generic key.

I do agree that it would be nice if they could be nameable and put on the key ring. Both i think might be possible.

Edited by Hydromancerx

Before it hits MP there have to be some changes with car start, if you can find a key in car only once i imagine how one asshole going from car to car and took keys... then car is usseles, maybe electrician should have possibility to start car without keys?

Edited by DanielPas

10 hours ago, Hydromancerx said:

The way recipes go is there needs to be some sort of output for every recipe. Recipes cannot be made without an output so the way around this is to have it use up a item in the recipe. Such as registration papers and then give you back them. Nolan and i talked about all sorts of items from Air Fresheners to Fuzzy Dice to Steering Wheels to Shoes! He said he may use a Drivers License instead. All items of course are pointless.

Shoes for instance would be nice if it were not for the fact they would use up your shoes every time making you have to put them back on. Originally the car Key was supose to be the item. But now that keys are specific to the car you find it in making a new one every time would not be good. Especially if you have more than one car key and it deleted the wrong key when it gives you back the key. Not to mention using it delete you special key and give you a generic key.

I do agree that it would be nice if they could be nameable and put on the key ring. Both i think might be possible.

Oh, so that's a technical limitation, my bad :P

Also BUG REPORT : That's the second character I lose due to scratching my shins/forearms in a low speed car-crash. For the first one I wasn't exactly sure, but now I can confirm 100% I've not been bit/scrached by a zombie, yet I'm still zombified by the car related injuries (also no hypochondriac trait and no "everyone's infected" sandbox option).

Enjoying this mod more and more, great work, makes the nomad way of life much more enjoyable :)

Some more suggestions :

-Being able to board cars even without gas ? No moving obviously, but being able to evade rain, honk or sleep inside (might wanna check the "Sleeping Bag mod" for the code)

-Keeping the car immobile not consuming gas ? (Pretend i'm just jumping in to evade rain, not turning the engine on)

-Increase honking's noise range ? (for diversions)

-Increase car visibility / moving noise to zombies (I'm playing with eagle eyes/pinpoint hearing zombies, and I need to be really close to draw their attention, about the same distance as sneaking... obviously a car with a running engine should make at least as much noise as a running character, and be seen from further)

• 3 months later...

You really need better graphics for that one-- Correct perspective and rendered in many more directions, etc. Go for quality instead of quantity. Make one good car instead of many bad looking ones, imo.

Edited by Lexx2k