Immunization

dannyisdude

So, I know you read the title, but wait, wait,  this isn't a suggestion for some cure or something. I read that right now, after getting infected, it's possible to survive indefinitely with a ton of food,  antibiotics, and hydration. However, as of right now, there is no reason to try to keep living once you get infected. So, my suggestion is that after getting infected, if you survive for 6 months infected, with rest, medicine, food, and water, the symptoms of the infection should slowly let up, and eventually go away. After this, you should be immune for a few years. This would be your immune system learning to fight the virus, and eventually fending it off. You would only be immune to the zombie infection, so you can still get colds or other infections. Also, surviving with the infection for 6 months is very nearly impossible, as you need a TON of food, medicine, and water. Plus, during this time, you can't exert yourself by doing things like fighting zombies or farming, so no defending your base or growing food. I think this would give players a reason to try to survive the infection, but it wouldn't reduce the reason to not get infected, as it will still almost certainly kill everyone who does become infected.

If you're bitten, infected and survive the infection for six months in the current game you actually transform into a helicopter (the sound of another survivor accomplishing this task is the source of the current helicopter noise event). AFAIK the helicopter is immune to the zombie disease so technically your request is already in the game.

Edit: No but really you're doomed. You can shove a whole chicken down your gullet as fast as the game allows and you're going to keel over sooner or later.

A request that might be closer in line with what you're thinking of is switching the game mode to "everyone is infected" following the Walking Dead lore, wherein being bitten by a zed doesn't communicate the disease (as you already have it) but rather your immune system is suppressed by the presence of the disease and as such a bite from a zed is considered to generally be fatal from damage and infection from all the normal nastiness one finds in our mouths. Which can, technically, be defeated by traditional means.

Maybe.

But the devs have been pretty clear on the no immunizations bit.

Edited by Dusty Lens

6 hours ago, dannyisdude said:

So, I know you read the title, but wait, wait,  this isn't a suggestion for some cure or something. I read that right now, after getting infected, it's possible to survive indefinitely with a ton of food,  antibiotics, and hydration. However, as of right now, there is no reason to try to keep living once you get infected. So, my suggestion is that after getting infected, if you survive for 6 months infected, with rest, medicine, food, and water, the symptoms of the infection should slowly let up, and eventually go away. After this, you should be immune for a few years. This would be your immune system learning to fight the virus, and eventually fending it off. You would only be immune to the zombie infection, so you can still get colds or other infections. Also, surviving with the infection for 6 months is very nearly impossible, as you need a TON of food, medicine, and water. Plus, during this time, you can't exert yourself by doing things like fighting zombies or farming, so no defending your base or growing food. I think this would give players a reason to try to survive the infection, but it wouldn't reduce the reason to not get infected, as it will still almost certainly kill everyone who does become infected.

You cant survive the infection in any way though.

You can get scratched and not get infected and thats about it, what you thinking off is the Hypochondriac trait which makes you "feel" infected for a period of time to the point of almost killing you. 

Also what you are thinking is the way the heal system works, where eating food=recover health for some periods of time, i actually tried to survive doing that and at the end of the day, the fever still gets you.

Also with the nutrition update on the way, you would end up as a weak fat guy with a constant fever that will never make it out.

To me, this completely conflicts against everything in the zombie lore. I've always thought of the 'ole Zombie virus as something similar to an extraterrestrial disease. Your adaptive immune system has no way of preventing it, your B cells can't secrete the antibodies to kill it, etc etc. If it enters your body, you're fucked. 

Now adding the ability to gain immunity to the disease would just prevent any and all danger from the zombies, since if you're late game and get bitten, you could just shrug it off and go "Oh whoops, I'll just rest at base for a couple of weeks and I'll gain immunity for a couple of years, sweet." It just doesn't work like that.

I can kinda see why you'd want it gameplay wise, but you'd get more luck having a mod to implement it. :-)

I do feel the game needs a better end game or objective. Being completely immune to the disease is lame. Let me throw ideas at you all---

after a a certain amount of ingame time (possibly set in custom options) a underground science lab spawns randomly. Possibly in an underground tunnels system or whatever.

The science lab allows you to skill up in chemical skills.

Then when proficient, allow the making of drugs(that take along time to make per batch) that make you 99% resistant to getting the infection.

You are still allowed to die from animals attacks, blood loss, bones...

Metalworking/leather working armor also should prevent bites and scratches but not the % to be infected once those bites occur.

As far as more endgame, id say technology advances(automated gun turrets, bullet production, alarm system, better walls).

4 hours ago, Mr_Sunshine said:

To me, this completely conflicts against everything in the zombie lore. I've always thought of the 'ole Zombie virus as something similar to an extraterrestrial disease. Your adaptive immune system has no way of preventing it, your B cells can't secrete the antibodies to kill it, etc etc. If it enters your body, you're fucked. 

Now adding the ability to gain immunity to the disease would just prevent any and all danger from the zombies, since if you're late game and get bitten, you could just shrug it off and go "Oh whoops, I'll just rest at base for a couple of weeks and I'll gain immunity for a couple of years, sweet." It just doesn't work like that.

I can kinda see why you'd want it gameplay wise, but you'd get more luck having a mod to implement it. :-)

But that's what I'm saying. You would have to survive it for AT LEAST 6 months, a long while longer than just a couple weeks. This requires a  TON of supplies, and an  EXTREMELY well built base, as you can kill zombies bashing your door down, instead you just have to hope they go away. I would be surprised if anyone has survived 6 months infected as the game currently is.

Edited by dannyisdude

2 minutes ago, Øathbetrayer said:

-snip-

This is the story of how you died! Not the story of "how I made a giant metal fortress with automated tit mounted machine guns and skynet online".

Also, to me this sounds just as boring, delaying the inevitable. So once you find the lab and get 99% immunity, then what? Back at square one aren't we...

Really, the only way to make this game fun, SUPER long term is npcs IMO, luckily the dev team is working on that.

7 hours ago, Blasted_Taco said:

You cant survive the infection in any way though.

You can get scratched and not get infected and thats about it, what you thinking off is the Hypochondriac trait which makes you "feel" infected for a period of time to the point of almost killing you. 

Also what you are thinking is the way the heal system works, where eating food=recover health for some periods of time, i actually tried to survive doing that and at the end of the day, the fever still gets you.

Also with the nutrition update on the way, you would end up as a weak fat guy with a constant fever that will never make it out.

On one of these forums, EnigmaGrey posted that is actually possible to survive indefinitely, I'm taking his word for it here, but you may be right. I'm just thinking if someone is somehow able to survive being infected for six months they deserve something for that, as I can't imagine that has ever been done before.

The Big No's!

These are a list of things that are either vehemently opposed by the majority of the community, confirmed "no's" by the dev team, or impossible within the game as it is. I'm going to try to make this completely unbiased, but if you disagree with anything posted feel free to mention it. The most important ones are highlighted in red. If you take nothing else from this thread, please pay attention to these.

Aerosol Can + Lighter = Flamethrower

[n]    Beginning the game before the infection

[n]    Children or babies

[n]    An ending or any game over other than death

[n]    First Person or other viewpoint changes including camera rotation

[n]    Immunity/Cure

NO.JPG

while I do disagree with the overall simple immunity, I do think a system where infection symptoms subside if you survive long enough might be neat. Though to separate it with a cure mechanic i would suggest a minimum (possibly hidden) "toxicity" value that increases each time you would get infected. This toxicity value could then cause the player to occasionally experience sudden but shorter(1-5 day) fever with higher toxicity values making them more common, and increase the likelihood of being infected from other wounds as your immune system becomes weakened, maybe at 80% minimum infection fever wont let up?

also dying with any level of toxicity should turn you into a zed.

for example

gets bitten on a scavenging run (100% toxicity)

1 month later ( 60% toxicity, fever dissipates)

2 months later (20% toxicity and wont go lower - occasional relapses/moderately increased infection chances)

get bitten while foraging (100% toxicity)

1 month later (60% toxicity fever dissipates)

2 months later (50% toxicity and wont go lower - semi-frequent relapses/highly increased infection chances)

falls while building, dies and turns into zombie

bites friend who was bringing him supplies

1 hour ago, winterpyre said:

while I do disagree with the overall simple immunity, I do think a system where infection symptoms subside if you survive long enough might be neat. Though to separate it with a cure mechanic i would suggest a minimum (possibly hidden) "toxicity" value that increases each time you would get infected. This toxicity value could then cause the player to occasionally experience sudden but shorter(1-5 day) fever with higher toxicity values making them more common, and increase the likelihood of being infected from other wounds as your immune system becomes weakened, maybe at 80% minimum infection fever wont let up?

for example

2 months later (20% toxicity and wont go lower - occasional relapses/moderately increased infection chances)

2 months later (50% toxicity and wont go lower - semi-frequent relapses/highly increased infection chances)

Except that is not how a monstrous infection like the zombie virus would work.

If something as contagious and powerful as it were to enter your system, it would destroy it faster than you can heal. If anything, the infection would get worse as time goes on.

Look at the plague, even now with antibiotics, treated you still have a 1-15% chance of death, and you have to treat very early. Now apply that to the even more rampant zombie virus, and the fact that it's probably a virus, and not a bacteria, and you have yourself a very bad time.

2 hours ago, winterpyre said:

for example

When I say immunity, I don't mean permanent immunity, I mean a temporary immunity that eventually goes away. This way, after somehow managing to survive the infection, you still never know if your immunity went away, so getting bit it still just as risky.

I like the idea of an optional sandbox option where getting bitten makes you horrendously sick, but then goes away after a while if you hold out long enough... only to come back at completely random intervals every so often and make you deathly ill over and over. You could survive it each time if you get enough food and rest, but eventually you'll get unlucky and fall ill at a bad time and get killed some other way.

Other than that I'm not a fan of developing an immunity to zombification.

On 5/26/2016 at 8:12 PM, dannyisdude said:

Just... No this is stupid even IF the devs added it even after they said

Spoiler

NO

already

The Big No's!

These are a list of things that are either vehemently opposed by the majority of the community, confirmed "no's" by the dev team, or impossible within the game as it is. I'm going to try to make this completely unbiased, but if you disagree with anything posted feel free to mention it. The most important ones are highlighted in red. If you take nothing else from this thread, please pay attention to these.

Aerosol Can + Lighter = Flamethrower

[n]    Beginning the game before the infection

[n]    Children or babies

[n]    An ending or any game over other than death

[n]    First Person or other viewpoint changes including camera rotation

[n]    Immunity/Cure

So this thread has no real point when it's been stated there will not be a immunity/cure in the game but even IF they actually added it,

it would be pointless and stupid, whats the point of a zombie game if you can lose you bite EZ as 123.

[m]  Amputation

Now this is a [m] witch means maybe so I guess people can get their wish if they decide to add this, but doing it could just be even more stupid then just dying, it could just be really bad effects, like maybe really slow movements maybe you could make an improvised crutch to walk slightly faster but who knows.

But in general there is no point to have immunity to the zombie bite, if it's THAT annoying get the thick skin perk it's kinda OP at times.

Welp, I made another useless, long post.

5 minutes ago, Tybug0rz said:

Just... No this is stupid even IF the devs added it even after they said

Reveal hidden contents

NO

already

So this thread has no real point when it's been stated there will not be a immunity/cure in the game but even IF they actually added it,

it would be pointless and stupid, whats the point of a zombie game if you can lose you bite EZ as 123.

Now this is a [m] witch means maybe so I guess people can get their wish if they decide to add this, but doing it could just be even more stupid then just dying, it could just be really bad effects, like maybe really slow movements maybe you could make an improvised crutch to walk slightly faster but who knows.

But in general there is no point to have immunity to the zombie bite, if it's THAT annoying get the thick skin perk it's kinda OP at times.

Welp, I made another useless, long post.

This is more about the infection going away after a very long time than it is about immunization.  Immunization is just in the title to grab attention.

40 minutes ago, dannyisdude said:

This is more about the infection going away after a very long time than it is about immunization.  Immunization is just in the title to grab attention.

first of all let me get this out CLOOKBOOT GFSDNGHJDGBNSRHJGN | ahh now It's already been stated in the NO's that there will likely be no way to be bitten, then survive the bite. Or the "Infection"

On 5/27/2016 at 2:00 PM, Bughunter66 said:

Except that is not how a monstrous infection like the zombie virus would work.

If something as contagious and powerful as it were to enter your system, it would destroy it faster than you can heal. If anything, the infection would get worse as time goes on.

Look at the plague, even now with antibiotics, treated you still have a 1-15% chance of death, and you have to treat very early. Now apply that to the even more rampant zombie virus, and the fact that it's probably a virus, and not a bacteria, and you have yourself a very bad time.

well I mean were talking zombie viruses so while your right that if you view it in comparison to something like the plague you prolly wont be able to do anything, but were in the uncertain realm of a fictional zombie virus and the real issue with that is that its open to interpretation on how each person thinks it should work thus no matter what outcome is reached, someone will disagree with it because "thats not how it would work" :(

I think (hope) everyone knows that a straight immunization or cure is already a big no, but instead of just spamming that and leaving I tried to explore the idea of a way to make infections into something other than just a death sentence that would satisfy the most people and add an interesting element to the game.

On 5/29/2016 at 3:42 AM, dannyisdude said:

Your body getting used to a virus? Yeah that's immunisation. There is no other way. 

On 5/27/2016 at 9:50 AM, Øathbetrayer said:

Why play the game if you view it that way? If you know you're going to die.  Even will all that lab stuff and armor. You are bound to have human error and die. 

Everyone should view the game this way; the game literally starts with: "this is how you died."

11 minutes ago, Demonic_Kat said:

Everyone should view the game this way; the game literally starts with: "this is how you died."

I love games like this where it's more focused on good story generation than just bland gameplay. I'd consider Rimworld and Cataclysm: DDA to be excellent examples alongside PZ.

19 hours ago, hunger john said:

I love games like this where it's more focused on good story generation than just bland gameplay. I'd consider Rimworld and Cataclysm: DDA to be excellent examples alongside PZ.

I'm the same. I still want getting bit to be a death sentence, however I want to give players the tiniest amount of hope and reason to try to keep living. Going suicidal the second you know you're infected isn't exactly the most interesting story. Hearing different or crazy things people have done in an attempt to survive creates a much more interesting story than, "I went guns blazing at the zombies because if I was gonna die, I was taking them out with me", which is essentially what everyone does when they are infected.

Going suicidal the second you know you're infected isn't exactly the most interesting story. Hearing different or crazy things people have done in an attempt to survive creates a much more interesting story than, "I went guns blazing at the zombies because if I was gonna die, I was taking them out with me", which is essentially what everyone does when they are infected.

That's exactly what's happening. That and cheesing the zombies so you never get hit.

Now you add multiplayer, and this whole recipe will never work. I agree with how infection works for SP but it will never be viable in MP. I think the idea where it leads to a brutal infection that can be treated (making medics more needed) is alot more MP friendly.

With guaranteed death infections you have:

- Normal servers (including coop), people who die come back with same knowledge being the same person, just lose his skills. The "suicidal rampage" or a buddy killing him is more likely than anything. With a chance to live it would require a change of gameplay (chill and rest) to adapt to the new situation. That is, considering you could make skills harder to lvl because characters would be less expendable.

- RP servers, you are kind forced to be someone else, but depending on server limitations (population) you'll have to get your old profession, and people will know anyway what kind of people you are (won't backstab). You can build up a story for the dead person but trying to save (and worry for) a sick living person would be much more exciting.

And if we consider "MP friendly" might be "NPC friendly" down the road, this is something that should be thought of again.

Edited by Magusdl

3 hours ago, Magusdl said:

That's exactly what's happening. That and cheesing the zombies so you never get hit.

Now you add multiplayer, and this whole recipe will never work. I agree with how infection works for SP but it will never be viable in MP. I think the idea where it leads to a brutal infection that can be treated (making medics more needed) is alot more MP friendly.

With guaranteed death infections you have:

- Normal servers (including coop), people who die come back with same knowledge being the same person, just lose his skills. The "suicidal rampage" or a buddy killing him is more likely than anything. With a chance to live it would require a change of gameplay (chill and rest) to adapt to the new situation. That is, considering you could make skills harder to lvl because characters would be less expendable.

- RP servers, you are kind forced to be someone else, but depending on server limitations (population) you'll have to get your old profession, and people will know anyway what kind of people you are (won't backstab). You can build up a story for the dead person but trying to save (and worry for) a sick living person would be much more exciting.

And if we consider "MP friendly" might be "NPC friendly" down the road, this is something that should be thought of again.

There is a chance to live. It's about 3% I think.