Compost

Insers

26 minutes ago, Insers said:

Hello community.

I have an idea for Farming.

What do you do with all this rotten food in game?

Why not make a Compost?

With compost we can make Fertilizer to our plants.

Any thoughts?

or maybe we already got this suggested?

I really like this idea. I mean when your food goes rotten and you dump it on the ground from what I was told it never despawns the same when you place it in a container I think unless you have loot repawn on then i think the rotten food gets replaced with loot.

but yea I like the idea of giving rotten food a purpose 

I think a compost mechanic deserves to be incorporated into the base game, for a few reasons:

1) Composting is an idea that really would occur to almost everyone trying to farm.  Just about anyone with a grade school education will have heard of compost and have at least a vague idea of what it is and how it can improve farming.

2) It's an idea that can work at multiple levels of sophistication with readily-available materials.  You can toss some organic matter and dirt into a pile, maybe cover it with a tarp, and you'll get some results.  Not great results, but something - and something you can learn from.  From this, all the way up to custom built barrel frames used to facilitate rotated, humidity-controlled composting.  Special additives, etc.

3) There are some interesting opportunities to introduce penalties for ignorance - and not only for characters in-game.  E.g., not everyone would know that uncooked meat is dangerous to use in composting.  Presumably, an experienced farmer would: Maybe players with high farming levels would get a helpful warning label on organic matter that's risky to compost, but low farming level players wouldn't.  Similarly, composting materials with useful positive attributes could have an analogous labeling system.  It would be trial and error until you got your farming level up!

Edited by ReverendNow

Hydrocraft is so easy to install, there's really no excuse not to do it.  The gameplay extension from the mod alone is worth weeks of time (I'm going on 500 hours in-game).  Literally every suggestion in this forum is in the mod, or is probably planned to be added.  Want to make gunpowder?  It's in the mod.  Want to compost?  It's in the mod.  Want to make a solar farm to recharge batteries?  Yep.  Hunt with dogs? Beekeep?  Smelt metal?  Mine ore?  Yes to all!  

Seriously, go into Steam, subscribe to Hydrocraft, wait for download to complete, and then get lost in a new world of PZ emmersion.  

9 hours ago, Mike280 said:

Hydrocraft is so easy to install, there's really no excuse not to do it.  The gameplay extension from the mod alone is worth weeks of time (I'm going on 500 hours in-game).  Literally every suggestion in this forum is in the mod, or is probably planned to be added.  Want to make gunpowder?  It's in the mod.  Want to compost?  It's in the mod.  Want to make a solar farm to recharge batteries?  Yep.  Hunt with dogs? Beekeep?  Smelt metal?  Mine ore?  Yes to all!  

Seriously, go into Steam, subscribe to Hydrocraft, wait for download to complete, and then get lost in a new world of PZ emmersion.  

But that's not the point. The point is to be able to have it in the game without having to get mods or have everything the mods come with. 

And on the topic of composting, i would like to see a few things with it. Worm bins being one, A type of composting box for second requiring carpentry or finding a small bucket (building the box would yield more) And lastly natural decay. Normally natural decay wont leave much left due to animals and insects getting to it first. Adding it to the tops of a garden for much may work but it still takes time and inst as efficient. Plus later on it could effect gardening in a large way. Possibly altering PH of soil or having a smell attracting zeds if unproperly maintained. Also attracting animals is a given unless closed with a tarp or carpentry lid. Even taking a garbage can and turning that into one may work at the cost of mobility, weight, and ineffectiveness. Could work with how moving furniture does.