[Build 34] Server Not Responding

Fuzzy Wolfy

Question

With the new build, I was hoping that the Easy Coop feature would eliminate the need for Hamachi and other shenanigans that are otherwise required for an easy server launch... But this doesn't seem to be the case.

I've launched a server, and invited friends, but it appears they cannot join me; Server Not Responding being all they can see when accepting my invitation.

I've tried this with friends who have already launched the game, and those who're standing by on their desktop, but that doesn't seem to make the slightest difference. We're not running the -nosteam launch parameter, we're all going full vanilla at the moment, so we aren't sure what the problem is.

Any help?

13 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Do you see their attempts to connect to your server in the server's terminal?

I do not. This doesn't seem to be the case with all of my friends, but some are having more trouble than others - I've invited them through the Invitation tab on which you can allow / deny friends from joining... They're all, obviously, allowed.

On another note, is there a way to easily convert Build 33 worlds / characters? I've tried this with what toolsets are currently available but it still asks me to recreate a character.

Could one of your friends with this issue grab a screenshot of the terminal and the screen in which they're trying to connect? Probably wouldn't hurt to have them grab the console.txt file in %UserProfile%\Zomboid, as well. imgur.com and pastebin.com are good hosts.

If the error with characters happens in multiplayer, set PlayerServerID to something blank, along with ResetID. That should let you load the older saves, though I can't promise there won't be errors. Not sure for single player, unfortunately.

I've tried setting PlayerServerID and ResetID to blanks - PlayerServerID was already blank due to prior accidental character wipes with non-steam hosted servers... But it still asks me to create a new character. Is there something else I need to do? Or can my old character saves no longer be used?

5 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

When you're hosting, your character is saved in Saves\Multiplayer\ServerName_player\

You can rename your old player folder, which is something like IP_Port_UserName\  (127.0.0.1_16261_admin for example)

This worked! Thank you.

Can the same be done for other players?

6 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

For players joining a Steam co-op server, their characters are saved to Saves\Multiplayer\HostSteamID_ServerName_player

HostSteamID is the Steam ID of the person that is hosting the game.  ServerName is the name of the settings you chose for the server.

Fantastic, and where would I be able to find the Steam ID needed for that? Or is it the same that I would otherwise get from a game like Garry's Mod or Counter Strike?

It's the Steam ID of your account.   In the Steam window top-right, click your account name > View Profile, then right-click on the page and choose "Copy Page URL".  The long number at the end is your Steam ID.  Normally you don't have to mess with this unless you are copying player files around.