Vehicle Idea: Pump Rail Carts (Handcar)

CaptKaspar

Cars are great, bikes are awesome, but what about pumped rail carts (handcar)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handcar

A player could control its speed by pressing the 'push' button. If two players are using one, they could sync their pushes to increase its speed.

They are quiet, do not require any sort of fuel, and can easily be operated by a single person. They could get a player across a good portion of the current map.

I've never used a handcar, but wouldn't it require more effort to move than just walking? You're still using "person power" so it would be slower and more tiresome as far as I can see.

The advantage though is that train wheels have little friction so once you get up to speed you can stay there more easily. Also you could use them to move lots of materials that one person couldn't carry.

All in all, I like this idea, but it's probably too complicated and detracting for the time being. There is more important and critical stuff to be worked on.

Maybe once a clear vehicle engine is built the devs can consider this.

I've actually used a rail cart a few times. It was old and a bit rickety and it drove on a narrow-gauge railway but it was easy enough for 2 people (a guy and a girl) to accelerate to about 25 km/h (~15 mph). After that it wall only about maintaining speed.

I really like this idea! I sometimes used the Railroads as a safer way to walk from Mul to Dixie (sadly, you can't get to WP, as the rails end suddenly right at Dixie and don't return until you're at WP already), so the idea of doing it in some sort of vehicle totally rocks!

Maybe we could also find some manner of small boxcar on the train depot that we could plug it to, and use it as an easy way to move loot between both cities.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2016 at 0:38 PM, Blake81 said:

I really like this idea! I sometimes used the Railroads as a safer way to walk from Mul to Dixie (sadly, you can't get to WP, as the rails end suddenly right at Dixie and don't return until you're at WP already), so the idea of doing it in some sort of vehicle totally rocks!

Maybe we could also find some manner of small boxcar on the train depot that we could plug it to, and use it as an easy way to move loot between both cities.

This would probably be late game, (with npcs) when there are small "towns" forming among the ruins.

On 5/10/2016 at 3:33 PM, Heporlathic said:

nice idea, but what happens if 2 of them collide?

You'd have to have a way to monitor the trains in a similar way as done now so that it doesn't wreck.