Snow Melting Near Heat Sources

CaptKaspar

I suggest that snow near sources of heat such as campfires, woodstoves, etc should melt.

X tiles distance from the heat source could melt snow depending on the intensity of the heat.  ex) a fire with a tree branch in it may only melt a tile where as a fire with 3 logs in it could melt 5-6 tiles.

This could also give a character a visual indication of how close to the fire they need to be to get the benefits of its heat.

On a similar note, snow on pavement/concrete should melt faster than grass/dirt. Even without roads being salted in the apoc, roads and other paved surfaces will melt snow faster than other surfaces up to a depth of about 6 inches or so because sunlight can still penetrate that deeply into snow and reflect heat. All of us who live in snowy environments have seen this happen.

On May 10, 2016 at 5:36 AM, King Kitteh said:

Currently snow is just a tile feature, but as an extension: Do you think starting a fire on snow should be made harder? Or would that to be too gamey and annoying?

As long as you have to use a campfire kit then I'm personally fine with starting a fire on snow tiles. I assume the placing of the campfire kit accounts for preparing the surface.