Urban areas stop being urban over time

Leith McLean

Animals stay away from urban areas because of the noise, people, and lack of habitat and food. As world erosion sets in, there is no longer any such thing as 'urban' and it should get easier to find birds, squirrels etc everywhere.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. In 2010 we had an earthquake that levelled big parts of the city. Within a few weeks of abandonment, properties were overgrown and plants were invading houses. Within months, abandoned suburbs were habitats for all sorts of birds, insects, and mammals. We could hear bird calls of tui, bellbirds, and other creatures that never enter the city.

Did you know, there are more wild coyotes living in towns and cities than in 'the wild'?

Right now, erosion has a cap. I don't like this because after a month or two, all of the erosion is done (If you start on the first day of the apocalypse anyway). I want to watch the town of West Point become a forest by setting the erosion to happen as fast as possible, and increasing the sim speed a lot with cheats and stuff.  Unfortunately, I can't do this because erosion has this cap, which it reaches on default settings after about two months.

5 hours ago, dannyisdude said:

Right now, erosion has a cap. I don't like this because after a month or two, all of the erosion is done (If you start on the first day of the apocalypse anyway). I want to watch the town of West Point become a forest by setting the erosion to happen as fast as possible, and increasing the sim speed a lot with cheats and stuff.  Unfortunately, I can't do this because erosion has this cap, which it reaches on default settings after about two months.

Maybe have a sandbox/server option that disables the cap?

On 5/5/2016 at 8:02 PM, Leith McLean said:

Animals stay away from urban areas because of the noise, people, and lack of habitat and food. As world erosion sets in, there is no longer any such thing as 'urban' and it should get easier to find birds, squirrels etc everywhere.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. In 2010 we had an earthquake that levelled big parts of the city. Within a few weeks of abandonment, properties were overgrown and plants were invading houses. Within months, abandoned suburbs were habitats for all sorts of birds, insects, and mammals. We could hear bird calls of tui, bellbirds, and other creatures that never enter the city.

Did you know, there are more wild coyotes living in towns and cities than in 'the wild'?

I have lived in rural places, suburban places, and urban places. I have personally seen coyotes in each :)

I live in an urban area now and we had two turkeys in our tree just last week!

I used to wake up to deer in my yard all the time in the suburbs.

So this idea definitely makes sense to me. If they are here when there are people, noises, cars, etc, then they would most certainly be here when there isn't.

i'm not sure on this one, i don't think that this is just an arbitrary cap, i think that the game is actually missing sprites and textures and stuff to show a world with erosion more advanced than the actual cap.

i'd love to see the city become wild a la i am legend, but i think it's already planned

21 hours ago, Livio Persemprio said:

i'm not sure on this one, i don't think that this is just an arbitrary cap, i think that the game is actually missing sprites and textures and stuff to show a world with erosion more advanced than the actual cap.

i'd love to see the city become wild a la i am legend, but i think it's already planned

The mod that the game came from eroded EVERYTHING, and never stopped. It was awesome. I wished they kept it like that.

I can't support Erosion not having a cap because erosion happens extremely, extremely unrealistically fast as it is. That would be overkill. I used to help a friend renovate/move homes that were sometimes flipped and sold (and still do when needed) and it is unheard of for walls to crack within a week. And I've explored some old-ass homes too. I understand why there is a need for it (because people die quickly in the game and might not see it) but it's way too fast already for no cap to be entirely balanced.

I do support fully overgrown areas switching forage/trap zones though (so animals eventually make their way in).

Edited by Kim Jong Un

2 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

I can't support Erosion not having a cap because erosion happens extremely, extremely unrealistically fast as it is. That would be overkill. I used to help a friend renovate/move homes that were sometimes flipped and sold (and still do when needed) and it is unheard of for walls to crack within a week. And I've explored some old-ass homes too. I understand why there is a need for it (because people die quickly in the game and might not see it) but it's way too fast already for no cap to be entirely balanced.

I do support fully overgrown areas switching forage/trap zones though (so animals eventually make their way in).

I've never had walls crack within a week. For me it takes about a month or two for erosion to even begin. (I generally play sandbox starting 0 months from apocalypse)

4 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

how about a sandbox option? i know where you come from, a lot of people complains about erosion on their safehouse, but as it was for sleep, maybe an option would be the best way to solve it

59 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

how about a sandbox option? i know where you come from, a lot of people complains about erosion on their safehouse, but as it was for sleep, maybe an option would be the best way to solve it

Yah, I agree 100%.

I made a pretty detailed thread about expanding the options for erosion, but it died a while ago

Edited by Kim Jong Un

1 minute ago, Kim Jong Un said:

Yah, I agree 100%.

I made a pretty detailed thread about expanding the options for erosion, but it died a while ago

that's a shame, let's keep this thread alive for a bit longer in the hope that they'll see it and consider it, after all erosion started as a mod from the community, so it's reasonable that they'd at least read this thread

Thinking from an mid - end game point of view, erosion would have the unique ability of making the environment even more dangerous- despite having a well equipped and skilled character at this point.

For example: Large clusters of tall blades of grass littered across the town's roads and centre would decrease the general visibility of the area, making it harder to notice zed's. 

Edited by Mr_Sunshine

On 5/5/2016 at 8:02 PM, Leith McLean said:

With nutrition coming in this might really help anyone who tries to make an urban base fulfill their needed protein/carb intake via trapping.

• 1 month later...

If zoos were added, the animals would escape, leading to late game you  having to fight packs of lions, and having ot deal with elephants steling your vegatbles,(only in big cities like louisville would there be zoos though, and it would take a while for tehm to mgrate to west oint or maldruhg

On 6/18/2016 at 11:58 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

If zoos were added, the animals would escape, leading to late game you  having to fight packs of lions, and having ot deal with elephants steling your vegatbles,(only in big cities like louisville would there be zoos though, and it would take a while for tehm to mgrate to west oint or maldruhg

I can only imagine herds of elephants running around like derps and crushing poor Z's.

On 6/19/2016 at 1:58 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

I'm pretty sure the dangerous animals would be stuck in the cages until they starved. Only exhibits with more or less harmless animals are left open (in Australia that's the Koalas and Wallabies).

I like the idea of animals moving in as the city decays; but I see a couple of issues that perhaps should be addressed.

First, we have to stop and consider if zombies are attracted to animals (driven by hunger or by noise). If so, then perhaps you might find zombie ravaged animal corpses with the possible risk of infection (blood or saliva) in the case of driven by hunger; else they might be chasing a deer because it was spooked by the zombie's movement, then its just a matter of determining how much noise the zombie hordes make versus the city noise that kept them away before.

In my mind, this really doesn't have anything to do with erosion directly, it seems to be mixing up two very different ideas, what animal behavior is, and what plant behavior is. If we separate them, it makes things easier to process because your not limited to what is already available to tweak. And with animal behavior, that really isn't in the picture just yet.