Time taken to create a character

1 minute ago, hunger john said:

It's pretty difficult to break out of the carpenter meta when you'd need to barricade for days to grind to acceptable levels otherwise- so no.

Recently I'm going for sledgehammer instead of mastering carpentry. I like PZ character creation system, there are many possibilities that may determine playstyle.

I feel dirty when I create a new character, because I always cheese the traits, taking high hunger, high thirst, conspicuous, slow reader, etc. All the ones that don't really matter too much, in order to get better buffs. I always take strength, and I usually use the carpenter or the fitness instructor to avoid starting with skills I don't plan on using much.

Every now and then I hit random in an effort to just play the hand that fate deals me, but I haven't been able to follow through yet.

I always hit random on appearance though.

I think if I ever play MP with a regular group, I'll see if I can convince people to go totally random.

I tend to role-play a bit... pick a character I like and try to have traits that suit him or her. Though that tends to get tweaked some to make for a slightly more PZ-friendly play-through. Life would probably be easier if I would forget that and just focus on the best build for my game play, but I have fun and that's what this about anyway. :)

Okay, so I just tried a completely random build for my latest character and she was a fitness instructor, with running trait and.... agoraphobia. Seems legit. "I love to run! But not outside." And whoo boy! does that trait suck. Instant extreme panic as soon as you step out the door.

On 5/5/2016 at 8:54 PM, Uncle Gus said:

Okay, so I just tried a completely random build for my latest character and she was a fitness instructor, with running trait and.... agoraphobia. Seems legit. "I love to run! But not outside." And whoo boy! does that trait suck. Instant extreme panic as soon as you step out the door.

LOL

I found the solution to my problem of feeling cheesy about creating a new character with a bunch of negative traits that don't have much impact... play on survival/hardcore. You can't get away with being spotted easily or making noise on that difficulty level! I now have no problem manually selecting traits because your chances of survival are much slimmer if you don't.

Archived