Sand, Gravel, and Charcoal Water Filters

dannyisdude

You can use sand, gravel, and charcoal to filter rainwater.  Something like this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-IqOqZUras&ab_channel=technowisdomgeek, except adding another filter with charcoal in it makes it even more clean and safe to drink. These can be built in a few ways. The way I think would be best to implement into the game, is taking or building a 55 gallon drum, make a hole with wire or something at the bottom for water to get through but not gravel, fill the bottom with gravel, then the top with sand, and then have a tube filled with charcoal coming out from the hole in the drum, with a sock filter at the end. You could have a pipe that goes from a water collector and pours water into the top of this drum so rain water is automatically filtered. You can then have the tube with the charcoal and the sock run into another tube with fills up a storage drum of water with a lid and a makeshift faucet. This way you wouldn't have to cook the rain water you collect. You could even hook a sink up to the storage drum for easy access in your base/house.

I'm in a tenth grade chemistry class, and we've been working on water filtration for the past few months. Though this filter is very popular, it actually doesn't work very well at all. In fact, one student last year used this method and ended with water that had a higher TDS rating then when he started (high TDS is bad). We discovered that most bags of charcoal, sand, and gravel are chemically treated, thus making the water worse than before. Also for the charcoal, you have to use activated charcoal which is different than the charcoal you put in/get out of fires.

Only became aware of these around 2000 . . . kind of curious as to when they entered the collective conscience, admittedly. Maybe they don't fit the early 90s nature of the game?

Though i get they're regularly used, I'm just not very trusting of something homemade and so small being called a filter. Would love if more studies existed about their effectiveness and setup.

19 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Only became aware of these around 2000 . . . kind of curious as to when they entered the collective conscience,

Perhaps through schooling? I learnt about it in primary school when we had an excursion to a sewage treatment plant. That excursion wasn't the greatest...

As for the idea itself. Eh, not really interested. To get that sort of thing to work well it'd take a lot of effort and probably still be unrealistic in many aspects. It's the sort of thing that someone should make as a mod.

• 4 years later...

Interesting how many people disapprove this idea. They want to live a virtual 'reallife' in which you can't get rain water and use a filtering process like this, yet they see people drinking much worse water around the world and even Bear Grills 'drinking' water through his anus, and they are still alive. Not to mention the clay/ceramic filter that would be an awesome idea for filtering the in game tainted water. I simply say, why not? It would be awesome!