Injury Overhaul

TheDreaded1

Also if you wanted to make the medicines more brutal (but still accessible by non-doctors) you could place the pills in two varieties, prescription and over the counter.

Prescription medicine could have potentially dangerous side effects from overdose or even if used before a meal or with alcohol. Potential death from overdose or mixing.

Over the Counter medicine would have minimal side effects or chance of overdose, and so a relatively safe bet for non-doctors. Chance of sickness if mixed or overdosed on, not death.

Edit: Prescription medicine should also be more effective when used correctly.

Edited by King Kitteh

4 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

I don't think it would be op, a good doc should really be EVERYTHING to a group, like carpenters are now, but that's just my two cents

It would definitely make doctors more useful, if not necessary. I'm ok with that.

Yep, yep, even better, meds should be a scary thing if you don't know what you're doing, heck they are somehow scary even if you do know what you're doing...

The idea of full or empty stomach is just gorgeous, I love it.

while on the other hand I think that we still don't have enough things to healin order to have meds divided between over the counter and prescription meds, I like the idea but i 'm not sure if the current meds are enough for this.

Edit: i think that it would be a good time to update the original post with the meds idea ^^ and maybe with the list of the current issues doctors have, if you feel like it

Edited by Livio Persemprio

11 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

Also if you wanted to make the medicines more brutal (but still accessible by non-doctors) you could place the pills in two varieties, prescription and over the counter.

Prescription medicine could have potentially dangerous side effects from overdose or even if used before a meal or with alcohol. Potential death from overdose or mixing.

Over the Counter medicine would have minimal side effects or chance of overdose, and so a relatively safe bet for non-doctors. Chance of sickness if mixed or overdosed on, not death.

Edit: Prescription medicine should also be more effective when used correctly.

That would make doctors awesome, add realism, and be a fun mechanic to boot. Especially if lockpicking and locked containers become a thing. (vanilla) Put the scripts behind locked cabinets, have to smash them (loud) or pick the lock (quiet)...ahh the joys of teamwork... *Drools*

Edited by TheDreaded1

32 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

Edit: i think that it would be a good time to update the original post with the meds idea ^^ and maybe with the list of the current issues doctors have, if you feel like it

Updated..I think I got most of it, see anything I missed?

On 2016-04-28 at 6:55 PM, TheDreaded1 said:

Injury/Medical System Issues and Proposed Solutions

Issue: Amateur medical care being on par with professional medical care.

Solutions: Prescription Medication and Over-the-Counter Medication. 

Medication can have side effects, with prescription medication side effects much more severe than OTC medication, and mixing medication can be dangerous. Only Doctors know what side effects pertain to what medicine, and which meds shouldn't be mixed, as well as what happens when you do mix meds and how to treat dangerous mixtures. 

Issue: Not enough non-fatal wounds, leading to large, useless medical supply.

Solutions: Menial tasks can injure survivors based on their lack of skill in certain tasks (cooking, building, ect.) Amateur treatment may cause more issues than solve, leading to infection, sickness, and possibly death. This would all help the issues Doctors have leveling First Aid, as people would really want to be healed by a professional, instead of doing it themselves and possibly dying.

This has been suggested before, but good Idea!

For the first issue I suggested :

For the second Issue I have to suggest King jjwpenguin's content:

They could give you some ideas for your topic here!

On 4/28/2016 at 10:00 PM, King Kitteh said:

Also I believe the devs are considering amputations, perhaps as a one time cure for a bite or scratch.

I assume high level doctor skill would be necessary for 'SAWING YOUR FREAKEN' ARM OFF™', also it provides a solution to the "doctor is useless for bite or scratch".

I 100% agree with the whole need more medical uses and what you said about the pills and being able to saw off your arm or a buddies arm would make for great RP and say like you trying to saw off your buddies arm and you have a really low first aid skill and what happens is you rupture and artery and he dies from it! And the things with pills like say if someones character had a heart problem and they needed to take pills to keep their heart going and you tamper with their pills and mix in a capsule of cyanide to kill them incognito style. But if i kept this going i could get into like purposely infecting someone like an enemy with a dangerous pathogen like influenza (when not treated) or some highly infectious disease to go wipe out their colony/group.

Edited by Queen Glory