Why do zombies love doors SO MUCH ?

Playing on Survival IWBUMS and I'm having a pretty normal time of it, living past 6 months now and just building a nice base with walls and a garden etc.
But I've noticed something that's really ticking me off.

I put two doors at the front of my wall (I have a wooden wall running the entire circumference of the Town Hall) and every freaking DAY the doors attract zombies. Only the doors. Nowhere else on the manmade walls or any other feature or building on my base. I never hear thudding or anything from any other location.

But the zombies seem magnetically drawn to the doors and I'll always have 2-3 zombies headbutting JUST those squares.

It seems quite clear the programming right now makes the zombies a little TOO obvious in what they target. If they were all over the place and hitting various points of my defences that would be fine, but they aren't. Considering just building rope ladders over my walls and removing doors entirely.

1 hour ago, Acet said:

/me is tempted to setup some decoy doors and see what happens

I use a similar tactic to this already, on my outer wall I have windows barricaded with 2 planks (so I can see how many zombies are there) and they always break the planks first then climb through. It makes it easier to do repairs and gives me more time to deal with them.

• 1 month later...

Hey

I have a small base with selfmade wood walls and 3 doors. My game options are set to many zombies, they have good senses and follow navigation and doors.

My problem is not just that the zombies are attracted by the doors and try to headbutting them.. my problem is that the zombies always open the doors!?

For example: I load my savegame. I stand inside my base. I check the 3 doors.. 2 of them are closed, 1 is open. I close the door and check the base.. no zombie in. Then I stop in the middle of the base and check some mod files ( just 3-5 minutes ). Suddenly I hear zombie moans. Back to the game window.. I see a zombie next to me starting his attack.. and 2 more zombies on the screen in my base. I kill them all and check the base and doors again. Result: 2 open doors, 1 closed door.

So what? Zombies using selfmade doors? Why they don't use unlocked doors at all the buildings?

How to lock my doors? Any tools for it?

Greetings

4 hours ago, r0land said:

I have a small base with selfmade wood walls and 3 doors. My game options are set to many zombies, they have good senses and follow navigation and doors.

Someone may correct me here, but I am pretty sure the doors option gives them the ability to open doors. I'm not crazy enough to use this in sandbox - but I am pretty sure that means they can open unlocked doors.

The reason zombies are so attracted to doors is there programmed to be, they will start thumping on doors providing they are close by even if they don't hear a nose on the other side. If you go into zombie options in the sandbox setting and deselect the option "Environmental Attacks" then zombies will only attack doors/windows in response to a nose they hear or an object that's in there way, which is how it should be by default in my opinion.

Edited by Joshnpk

7 hours ago, r0land said:

3 hours ago, Cithanor said:

Someone may correct me here, but I am pretty sure the doors option gives them the ability to open doors. I'm not crazy enough to use this in sandbox - but I am pretty sure that means they can open unlocked doors.

Hm.. I would like to be sure we talk about the same thing. My game is not in english language and the localization is sometimes very confusing. So I hope I translate it right now:

There is a zombie option.. about sense or sensibility.. you can set it to "simple navigation", "navigation" or "navigation + doors".

I thought ( from earlier game versions or translations ) this options means how zombies get attracted by player actions. Navigation = moving sound, doors = door sound. Means: If you set it to "navigation + doors" zombies will be attracted by your moving sound and if you use doors.

Is this right or wrong ?

20 hours ago, r0land said:

I thought ( from earlier game versions or translations ) this options means how zombies get attracted by player actions. Navigation = moving sound, doors = door sound. Means: If you set it to "navigation + doors" zombies will be attracted by your moving sound and if you use doors.

Is this right or wrong ?

Just checked in-game, and yeah, it means zombies open unlocked doors. I guess there's a good reason to use your keys after all!

4 hours ago, hunger john said:

Just checked in-game, and yeah, it means zombies open unlocked doors. I guess there's a good reason to use your keys after all!

We can use keys to lock doors ??

2 minutes ago, r0land said:

We can use keys to lock doors ??

Yes, when you spawn in the game, you automatically get the keys to the building you spawn in. Right click on doors to lock them. You can currently only lock doors that lead outside.

You can also find keys on zombies, there is a small chance they will drop the key to a building nearby.

17 hours ago, r0land said:

And what is with selfmade doors?

You can lock them as well if you have the key for the door knob you used to build the door. Just destroy a door you have the key for and get the door knob.

This mod helps to keep track of door knobs and keys: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14219-do-i-have-a-key-for-this-show-if-you-have-a-key-for-a-knob-in-the-tooltip-v300/#comment-177594

My hypothetical hypothesis:

Zombies still have extremely basic cognitive abilities. This means that when they want into a building, they go for the entrances they used before turning: windows and doors. Of course this is all just lore and imagination, it doesn't change the fact that they are programmed this way. Still, maybe it will give some peace of mind. 

1 minute ago, Spracky said:

when they want into a building, they go for the entrances they used before turning: windows and doors.

But.. many of them had also sex before turning.. and I cannot see any sexual activity these days. Of course there is always such a strange zombie moaning outside the walls.. xD

Just now, r0land said:

But.. many of them had also sex before turning.. and I cannot see any sexual activity these days. Of course there is always such a strange zombie moaning outside the walls.. xD

:|

Sex doesn't get you food.

5 hours ago, nubus said:

What r0land says makes sense :-D 

Sex is a basic instinct on most species since it's condition sine qua non for reproduction.

But let's assume you're starving to death. Would you rather have food or sex? Food is obviously the dominant requirement.

2 hours ago, Spracky said:

But let's assume you're starving to death. Would you rather have food or sex? Food is obviously the dominant requirement.

Nothing better than a quickie after a good guy steak, man!

2 hours ago, Teesee said:

To get back on topic and settle everything for good, let's say zeds enjoy having sex with doors. Period. 

Yeah, knobs look sooo sexy when polished...

On 5/31/2016 at 9:09 PM, Spracky said:

My hypothetical hypothesis:

Zombies still have extremely basic cognitive abilities. This means that when they want into a building, they go for the entrances they used before turning: windows and doors. Of course this is all just lore and imagination, it doesn't change the fact that they are programmed this way. Still, maybe it will give some peace of mind. 

This is the lore. They have basic navigation, residual patterns in their rotting brains so they can walk, recognise clear routes and not just walk into walls or lay on the floor breakdancing. There is something from their life that is still there that makes them recognize doors as a route, and to generally head to them over walls. It so happens that this is as beneficial to the game's difficulty as it benefits a zombie movie's script. A zombie with zero memory of the most basic of living person's navigational cognitive ability would be a rather ineffectual baddie.