Lightning Threat

Strats

To add some more weather threats to the game, it would be neat if during a thunderstorm, a zombie or player near a body of water/high up and exposed had a chance to be hit by lightning and cause a fire. If it is not raining, then a zombie could cause damage. Lightning should only happen when the player is nearby, however, so that a fire doesn't start somewhere where the player cannot stop it. 

I always thought random lightning strikes on the player would be annoying (because I dislike gameplay mechanics that punish the player randomly and with no way to stop it) but I like your idea about it happening only on higher levels and/or near water. That way as long as you're being safe, you wont get struck, but it your running around on roofs and swinging a golf club at every zombie you see during the storm you might deservedly get hit :)

I will say that I'm not crazy about lightning being something that could cause a fire, but that's mostly due to the fact that fire is currently a little intense when it flares up in the game :P

There should be some counter measures or some limitation for disasters which cause direct and lethal damage to players.

Or otherwise, it won't be fun for play.

For example, players can build lighting rod to protect their safe house from lighting. Or players won't (or very rarely) be hit by lighting if they don't held a metal item on their hands.

Edited by blackteapie

I'm not big on arbitrarily punishing a player with death, maybe in concert with mitigating and exacerbating factors, such as an increased chance due to height, or null-lightning if indoors. [We would need to see construction revamped to count ceiling/floor for internal/external spaces, if this hasn't already been done.]

Lightning, I think, should only happen during rain, which should prevent fire from spreading. The treeline density is ... well, it would make things very interesting if this just kept happening.

Fog, though? Heavy rain limiting visibility/audio? I'm all for these things. Every weather type should have some impact on the situation.