Spoiler-ridden Game of Thrones discussion thread

Batsphinx

Hello! The new series of GoT is upon us.

Let's be rabid fanboys! Please put all spoiler material in spoiler tags, and be clear if you're about to reveal one of the spoilers that still remains in the books too!

Let the nerdery... commence!

Episode was a nice reintroduction to the series, scathing GoT commentary ahead. Approach with caution:

Spoiler

Boy fuck Alliser Thorne.

In all seriousness, when Davos(?) said something along the lines of "Theres more than one person who owes his life to Jon Snow" and the Night watch dude bolted out of there. Should I be aware as to who he is talking about? I am really struggling to remember much of the last season.

1 hour ago, Connall said:

Episode was a nice reintroduction to the series, scathing GoT commentary ahead. Approach with caution:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Just a few thousand wildlings possibly? :P which Allister comments on in the NW meeting as letting them through the wall being the whole reason they ganked Jon? :P cue Dolorous Edd turning up at the 11th hour with Tormund Giantsbane and a gang of pissed off free folk, weee.  

re: Mellisandre's being old and having a fake young appearance by her red ruby around her neck - got spoilt on that prior to watching but expected it anyway at some point since it was eluded to in the book that she was old, and that red ruby around her neck has been linked to glamours before. 

*** BOOK SPOILERS NOT THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN IN THE SHOW ANYWAY ***

When it turns out that they actually burnt Rattleshirt instead of Mance Rayder, and she used a glamour to fool everyone. Afterward Rattleshirt (really Mance) had a ruby attached to him same as Mellisandre does.

Spoiler

Theories time, so don't read if you don't dig that kinda thing cause I'm an Ice and Fire GEEK and draw off a lot of minutiae. Won't put anything that's not happened in the show yet that's been in the books (its mostly up to date) but obv my opinions are coloured by the books. I think Mellisandre is going to sacrifice herself to bring Jon back, as repentance for her fuck up with Stannis and family. To non book readers, Azor Ahai Reborn, the saviour who will supposedly return to defeat the whitewalkers who she thought Stannis was and more likely who Jon is, (Azor Ahai REBORN huh? REBORN), the original Azor Ahai supposedly tempered the flaming sword Lightbringer by shoving it through his wife's heart, and this sacrifice was required to temper the sword, so makes me think a similar sacrifice will be needed to bring him back, as the witch lady Mirri Mazh Dur who 'saved' Khal Drogo from his infected wound in season 1 said 'only death can pay for life'. I kinda hope this is the case cause the only other fit would be Ghost and that'd be upsetting. In the time being dead Jon will be changed into something darker, will not be his old self, and his resurrected self will be Azor Ahai. Interestingly his oath to the Nights Watch would be fulfilled in this case since its a vow to serve until death. Thing is despite this being the 'hero saves the day' narrative, that's not very GoT, I don't actually think the white walkers are evil, and are more likely in league with the Children of the Forest and the Three Eyed Crow and just want all those pesky humans off their land and maybe even got an inkling that forest burning dragons were going to be a thing again and were like 'yeah we're gonna have to step in here'. Ask yourself this: The wall's been there for 8000 years. How much accuracy and detail is in our history of circa 6000 BC? Can we trust any of this history, why the wall is there, the Long Night and the last time the White Walkers showed up, or the war with the Children of the Forest, or any of it? Who builds a ridiculously giant ice wall hundreds of miles long and hundreds of feet tall? Piddly humans with their little tools, 8000 years less advanced than present day Westeros, or magical creatures who seem to be made of ice and who have swords made of ice, and bring the cold with them? Who are the aggressors and who build a wall to keep who out? Between the First Men and the Andals coming and burning their forests, then thousands of years later the Targaryens moving in with their dragons and burning the shit out of the little amount of the Children of the Forest's forests that remain in their family squabbles, the Children moving way up north into the cold, and then there are still humans north of the wall getting amongst their business, they probably rightly see humans as a bit of a blight and just want them to leave them alone.

I'll leave the further theory about the whole Jon affair, since that one is so obviously almost certainly right to most book readers aware of it that it almost constitutes a spoiler :P especially since they edited out every clue from the books from the show, until they info dumped a ton of the clues in one episode last season.

40 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Hide contents

Just a few thousand wildlings possibly? :P which Allister comments on in the NW meeting as letting them through the wall being the whole reason they ganked Jon? :P cue Dolorous Edd turning up at the 11th hour with Tormund Giantsbane and a gang of pissed off free folk, weee.  

re: Mellisandre's being old and having a fake young appearance by her red ruby around her neck - got spoilt on that prior to watching but expected it anyway at some point since it was eluded to in the book that she was old, and that red ruby around her neck has been linked to glamours before. 

*** BOOK SPOILERS NOT THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN IN THE SHOW ANYWAY ***

When it turns out that they actually burnt Rattleshirt instead of Mance Rayder, and she used a glamour to fool everyone. Afterward Rattleshirt (really Mance) had a ruby attached to him same as Mellisandre does.

Spoiler

Of course, I eventually realised after posting. I guess I got hung on this for a while because I was thinking of a singular person rather than a group.

18 hours ago, Connall said:

Hide contents

Boy fuck Alliser Thorne.

In all seriousness, when Davos(?) said something along the lines of "Theres more than one person who owes his life to Jon Snow" and the Night watch dude bolted out of there. Should I be aware as to who he is talking about? I am really struggling to remember much of the last season.

1 hour ago, Queen Glory said:

Who is John Snow?

*Killed half the forums with this comment*

But for real i don't even know what GoT stands for.

and aparently John Snow is important?

5 years of dealing with people on internet makes it hard to tell if you joking. Clue is in the thread title to what GoT stands for :P

Spoiler

Shhhh Lemmy I know what GoT stands for and i know who Jon Snow is im just trying to send the comments into an Uproar. (I don't watch the show though, it's not on Hulu or Netflix and all i have is apple T.V and H.B.O is another 7.99 D:)

Archived