Radio Translation Files

I wanted to keep NNR as a non-specific and general news source, so with less character in the speaker, which is okay in English but a bit more annoying for you guys. For the sake of argument let's say that the NNR announcer is a generic male American chap. 

Not sure if it helps, but here's my 'template' doc that might be helpful. I may well have strayed from it a few times during the writing, in fact I'm sure I did with the tertiary speaker one, but this is what I was aiming for. Will respond to everything else later in the week as am running around like a blue-arsed fly on other stuff atm - sorry :/

Dialogue colour pattern

Non-specific links and generic dialogue

Jingles and introductions – and President

Important voices and speeches – and McGrew

Male secondary speaker

Female secondary speaker

Tertiary or same-sex speaker to previous

PZ specific syntax

Broken transmission or static: <bzzt> <bzzt> <bzzt> <fzzt>

Bodily noise of speaker: <cough>, <gasp>, <sigh>

Environmental Noise: *gunshot*, *distant scream*, *bang*, *static*

Important terms:

Exclusion Zone

Event line

1 hour ago, Batsphinx said:

Sorry guysssssssssssssssssss I forgot that :(

Will buzz Turbo, and mebbe get a reference sheet over for you tonight if poss x

Do as you can, working on raw files isn't that bad. Correcting them later wouldn't hopefully take too long :)

EDIT : I have another question about Knox Hits. For copyright reasons, I guess the songs aren't real. Do you think we should translate them, or leave them as they are for flavour purpose? I'd go for option two, because we're in goddamn Kentucky: people don't sing in French! It's not like French people already listen to songs they don't understand, anyway...

Edited by Teesee
Added a question

Sometimes they say this:

//2859. ORIGINAL: Thanks Richard. We'll be back right after this.

I suppose 'this' means a commercial break? Which are saved somewhere else in the file?

Edited by Geras

Knox Hits - Hmm, well if you'd like to translate then feel free. But at the same time, they all have actual tunes that I could sing you (!) so maybe leaving them in as they are would be more authentic. Would you translate a... Taylor Swift song if it was in there? Probably not I guess.

'After this' is a lead-in to adverts, yes.

Many thanks for all the proofing stuff too - when WordZed is out I'll go through all your suggestions and correct stuff :)

Latest word from Turbs was that he's "adding the game side code for the radio translations today then testing a few dummy files to make sure the wordzed translation related stuff is all working properly"

Thanks so much for doing all this with my silly words about zombies guys x 

More mistakes:

//3103. ORIGINAL: There were thousands of infected, and they they left their mark. - they they
//3117. ORIGINAL: People who sustained infected attacks in yesterday's chaotic scenes - no dot / ellipsis
//3129. ORIGINAL: That can't be true - no dot / ellipsis
//1915. ORIGINAL: *bzzt* - in other places you used chevrons <>
//1916. ORIGINAL: *fzzt* - as above
//885. ORIGINAL: *bzzt* *fzzt* - as above
//1961. ORIGINAL: music My boy once asked me, before he went away. - missing music tag?
//1966. ORIGINAL: Now why don't y'all ask me what happened twenty years later? - no music tags?

Sometimes you wrote 'meanwhile,' (with a comma) sometimes 'meanwhile' (no comma).

Edited by Geras

Yup, regarding static you used both stars and chevrons and your first post in this page doesn't help clarifying it. You say chevrons are used for broken transmissions and static, but static is also mentioned for the stars. 

I guess the choice is yours, Bats! 

More mistakes:

//2157. ORIGINAL: People just don't what to do, and the military don't know what to do with them. - missing 'know' with people
//2269. ORIGINAL: These images show today's  running battle between masked youths... -double space after 'today's'
//2325. ORIGINAL: Troops in Times Square. Tanks on Miami beach. - beach should be with a capital letter.
//2332. ORIGINAL: Horrifying pictures handed to Triple N reveal brutality inside the Exclusion Zone. - lacking dash in Triple N

Hi, I want to do a complete translation of the game to Spanish_Uruguay It would be close to the spanish_AR translation but that one is outdated. So, can you please tell me where do i get the lastest files to translate the game? I saw other thread with Official files to translate but it seems outdated. Thanks for the help.

19 hours ago, Geras said:

One question: if we don't translate certain stuff (like songs), should we still copy the string into our translation or should we just leave it empty?

if you would copy the english original that would be great, technically it will just take the english line when a translation is missing, however empty lines in the translation files are marked as "not translated" when wordzed does a count on the files so copying the original in the cases youve mentioned will make sure theres no false counts there.

Hey, this one's (probably) for Turbo.

While triple-checking my translation, I noticed there might be a few missing lines. In the Excel doc, under the KnoxTalk tab, have a look at cell AP-39. It's empty, but there are dialogue lines going on after it from AQ-39 to AV-39. Thing is, we don't have these lines in the .txt file you gave us. I suspect the extraction stopped at AP-39, causing the following lines to be skipped. If you want to check, they should be between line 1576 and 1577.

More mistakes:

//2337. ORIGINAL: We at Triple N stand here thinking the same as you.  - no dash in Triple-N
//2583. ORIGINAL: If the fever didn't get to you. - this should end with an ellipsis (I think)
//4157. ORIGINAL: $15.99, plus postage and packing¬ - weird sign at the end
//4197. ORIGINAL: I ONLY ASK THAT WHEN THE NIGHT SKY DARKENS, YOU REMEMBER ME - no dot at the end
//4333. ORIGINAL: You'll just need to find a way to distract  the... - double space before 'the'
//4516. ORIGINAL: music  Do the robot dance music- double space after music tag
//4519. ORIGINAL: Dr. Oids, Rated Universal - no dot
//4527. ORIGINAL: Thanks for asking family doctors to recommend: Incontileve - no dot
//4559. ORIGINAL: Horse's our the finest animals our nation has to offer. - something's off with this sentence. Shouldn't it be 'Horses are' or 'Horse's the finest animal'?
//3636. ORIGINAL: music Jaunty music. music - in other places you did not use a dot within music tags
//3655. ORIGINAL: music Orchestral music. music - as above
//3633. ORIGINAL: I'm shutting the whole paranormal department down! - lower case 'paranormal' - see below
//3668. ORIGINAL: He shut the whole Paranormal department down! - upper case 'paranormal'
//3687. ORIGINAL: Mr Wellen, do you have any evidence for this outlandish claim? - shouldn't Mr. go with a dot?
//3689. ORIGINAL: Firstly, the scar on Mr James was NOT administered by a pastry cutter! - as above
//3694. ORIGINAL: Dr Oids is the latest blockbuster to hit the big screen... - Dr., as above
//3706. ORIGINAL: How did you prepare for your role as Dr Oids? - as above
//3713. ORIGINAL: Dr Oids is out in theaters now folks! - as above

Edited by Geras

On 5/10/2016 at 10:28 AM, Teesee said:

Hey, this one's (probably) for Turbo.

Hide contents

While triple-checking my translation, I noticed there might be a few missing lines. In the Excel doc, under the KnoxTalk tab, have a look at cell AP-39. It's empty, but there are dialogue lines going on after it from AQ-39 to AV-39. Thing is, we don't have these lines in the .txt file you gave us. I suspect the extraction stopped at AP-39, causing the following lines to be skipped. If you want to check, they should be between line 1576 and 1577.

Thanks Teesee! indeed the empty cell seemed to have stopped the parsing of that broadcast, ill add those missing lines in the updated files.