[MODREQ] Remove eating sounds

Uberubert

Hi,

I love the atmosphere and immersion in this game, but eating sounds are completely unbearable for me (I have misophonia, google it)

So my problem: How to play this fantastic game, but avoid the eating sounds?

(I'm not interesting in trying the "deaf"-trait just yet.)

My first thought: Mod the sound away! Replace the sound file!

After researching a fair bit on how to mod sounds, I realize that there is now no (simple) way to find the sound file I'm going to replace, due to the FMOD/.bank file system.

I'm not even sure single sounds can be replaced, even if I somehow managed to open the .bank files.

Not to mention, is it even legal? Skipping this, for now..

My second thought: Get into the code! Intercept the sound somehow!

After looking at this for a little while, I realize I would rather just stop playing the game. I know how to code, but getting myself deep enough into someone elses code, a whole game structure, a whole new system, just to mute a sound that I don't even know if can be muted...

It's something I just won't even attempt unless I know it can be done. Putting this in the "maybe later"-box.

Questions:

- Can single sounds be replaced/muted/removed? (specifically all eating sounds)

- What would be the best course of action to achieve such a thing?

- Any coding hints that may give me a jump start? (maybe an event)

Thanks for you understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how to create a mod exactly, but I do know how to get rid of the eating noises. Just replace steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\lua\client\TimedActions\ISEatFoodAction.lua with this.

I quickly modded out the eating sounds, and now it should be silent. Just make a backup of the original file, just in case.

ISEatFoodAction.lua

Edited by dannyisdude

On 4/24/2016 at 1:29 PM, Uberubert said:

I'm not even sure single sounds can be replaced, even if I somehow managed to open the .bank files.

Not to mention, is it even legal? Skipping this, for now..

I can confirm that modifying game files in any way results in a class B felony in accordance with US law- i had my door busted down, followed by Chris Simpson and a SWAT team armed with guns coming in and arresting me.