Commonly Suggested Suggestions

Rathlord

On 7/25/2013 at 9:00 PM, Rathlord said:

Want to see where this information comes from or where we've discussed it/had it confirmed/denied by the devs? Here's the references:

The Big No's, courtesy of TheRedStranger: http://theindiestone...=24&t=8986.html

Ultimate Dev Quotes, courtesy of Dakcenturi: http://theindiestone...=24&t=1865.html

These links don't work anymore.

It's more a ratings and content type deal. Fallout 3 had kids, but they were invincible. GTA doesn't have kids in the world. Most games don't and they're AAA games that have lots of money behind them, though they are also in more of a spotlight.

Not a good source of attention for an indie development team, really. And it likely would bring a lot of bad attention.

On top of the technicalities as well which is even going further than something already difficult which is varying height, as everyone is the same height. Individual animations for that height, combat (assuming this is TWD), and a range of other things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, Dixiana said:

Any explanation as to why zombie camouflage is a big-no?

It's kind of OP and isn't the lore direction the game is taking pretty much. The game follows Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z). The books, not the movie. Also some OG Romero lore also, but not all of it.

I think using it as a disguise is mainly TWDU thing, I can't find where it originates from but that definitely popularized it.
Considering I found a post saying Zombieland used it in 2009, but TWD comics are from 2003 it's likely TWD. Obviously other games (Dying Light) have used it but this is all a long winded way of saying it's not the direction we want to go. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestion: Make it so that illiterate characters cannot tell which books they have found. As an illiterate character all books will look like the standard red book, or perhaps a new mystery spite could be made. This will make illiterate a lot more of a risk as you could no longer stockpile skill books for future characters.

Bonus suggestion: Allow illiterate characters to get some amount of entertainment (like 10% of standard) from "reading" magazines as they flick through the pictures inside. HottieZ should probably provide 75% enjoyment though, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

If there ever is a way to escape the zomboid virus (car, helicopter, boat) there is a way there could be an addon/expansion to different areas of America. If your character is not bitten or infected, the virus does not spread when escaping, but if your character is infected, the virus may spread to different states. 

Suggestion 1:

Make it so Zeds can brake cars/brake into cars. Exampels for this could be that they bash down the door and drag you out even if you are on the other seat of the car. (Too fix the very common exploit of burning zeds with 2 cars next too each other).

Suggestion 2:

Cars can catch on fire, may explode depending on amount of fuel in the gas tank. 

Suggestion 3:

Would love to have a full control menu of Zeds speed. So abit more then what we have today. I think a Zed with speed between fast shambler and sprinter could be a fairly good option. (Today i feel like the jump between fast shambler and sprinter is quite a big one in difficulty)

Suggestion 4:

When Zeds cant find an entrance to your base they start hammering down the walls. This should obvisouly take alot longer then a door but would be a nice touch.

Suggestion 5: 

When Zeds stack up in big numbers leaning on wall or a big fence. Having the fence crumble due too the numbers of zeds leaning/pushing against.

In the end, thanks for this game it´s given me alot of joy and frustration. I love it :)

• 1 month later...

Suggestion: I would really like to be able to toggle lightning on and off so that photosensitive players can still play the game during storms without having to (a) hide inside the whole time or (b) cancel the weather pattern. Having the option would make the game much more accessible to people who are sensitive to flashes of light. Currently, settings can be adjusted for most weather patterns, even fog and snow, but not for lightning.

I understand there are hardcore realism players who would be upset having thunder but no lightning, but for the handful of players who could utilize such a feature, I think it would make all the difference in gameplay.

Thanks, and please keep up the phenomenal work on this game. c:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One suggestion I have that I ran into the other day:
In foraging, the Vision Effectiveness chart seems to have a bunch of silent ways of reducing the search radius that are not clear. In my case, it turned out that the sleepy stat has nearly cut down the search radius by 90% but the effect was hidden since no moodle had appeared yet. 
So my suggestion is to include the moodle related stats into the percentage list.

Context for picture: Had Park Ranger, Lucky, Hiker, Former scout, and outdoorsman and forage 5, but the range was limited with no reason given

Zomboid.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Adding footsteps to Zombies, and the faster they move, the louder said footsteps become, so that I can at least hear Sprinters coming from behind me a second before they chomp my neck and react in time instead of having Ninja Sprinters. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it's a very small suggestion but will lightbulbs ever have a condition meter like other parts used for cars?

• 2 weeks later...

So for amputations I figure someone already tied it to being bitten and stopping the infection if you cut the arm or leg off. I would also like to propose a way for us to craft makeshift replacement limbs. Arms for example could possibly become melee weapons that can be maintained. Is this at all a thought that has been thrown around?

• 3 months later...

Hey so I can't find an exact place where this is asked, unless I'm just not using the proper search terms, but I do have a question.

In regards to a very old post I found specifically about armored vehicles, you have to scroll down a bit. This was posted way back in 2018, but I found it on the wiki in the Planned Updates section of the site and was wondering if that was still going to be a thing that was implemented in-game.

I absolutely adore this game and short of mods, I can't exactly armor up vanilla vehicles, and I would genuinely love to see this expanded upon in a later update. I know there's already technically a mod for such a thing, but I was curious if in the vanilla game there would be any further progress or updates made with it.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Want to see where this information comes from or where we've discussed it/had it confirmed/denied by the devs? Here's the references:

The Big No's, courtesy of TheRedStranger: http://theindiestone...=24&t=8986.html

Ultimate Dev Quotes, courtesy of Dakcenturi: http://theindiestone...=24&t=1865.html

Those links don't work anymore.

Can you fix them or replace them?

• 1 month later...

These links no longer work.

Can they be replaced?

Since I've seen your updates about visual tweaks and sight cone, which I've always dreamed of for a whole year, I'm now confident that you'll take my 3 suggestions into consideration, they are about critical visual tweaks and mechanics that'd affect the game and immersion a lot.

This is very long.

1-Actual vision (Default On game mechanic with sandbox settings and not Client-Side choice):

Normally, things like cars are fully rendered as long as they're partially in vision even if a very big part of them is not, and will even update and move out of vision. But with a forced vision cone that works seperately from tiles, you will be able to see only certain and reasonable amounts of things, like half of a tile and quarter of a car!

•It may work like a seperate screen visual effect on top of actual tile-based rendering, but strictly not a cosmetic one and is an actual gameplay mechanic.

•Everything outside the view cone line will be viewed as their out of sight counterparts and unless you look there, unseen things will NEVER be updated even if the seen part is updated. Everything will be frozen at where you cannot see.

(You won't see a whole truck out of your vision just by looking at less than half of it. You won't see ANYTHING [Cars, players (optional), props, items, buildings, props, entities effects, even fire] updated out of your vision. A car that you see the half of it, might move, but even in that case, the unseen part where you remember half of a car will remain same there until checked)

2-Memory (Default On game mechanic with sandbox settings and not Client-Side choice):

A memory system that concerns the out of vision sight.

•You'll memorise everything visual out of your sight, including cars, even effects like fire too. Just everything, and everything I mentioned below apply for everything visual (not UI of course)

•You'll immediately start to increasingly memorise things (adding up to the total memorised time actually) the moment you look at them, never cooldowns. The longer you look at something, the longer time it will stack for you to remember when it's out of your sight. (Therefore taking half a second of glance will not make you memorise everywhere for a fixed long time) No serious limits except for humane limits, can extend to years if tested.

Different memorization speed multipliers from high to low: Terrain & Buildings, Props & Entities, Items & Effects.

•Everything that is memorised/seen/remembered will gradually start disappearing with decreasing opacity while out of sight, with very variable paces, a.k.a forgetting effect.

Slowest to fastest forgetting: Terrain & Buildings, Props & Entities, Items & Effects

•You will memorise things you see ONLY within your screen area, not your total vision cone. 

(So you don't memorise things you don't actually see or look at)

•For the things that have changed, once you update (Look at) them, you'll start memorising them and all the previous outdated memorisation times for the unexistant things will be instantly completely lost. It will carefully work seperately for the tiles, buildings, props, items, effects and everything so same things can remain harmlessly remembered

•About when and how much the disappearing effect will happen… For a thing you've seen but not seen in a while, A / B (A = Remaining time before completely forgotten, B = Fixed value, total memorised time since stopped looking) equation.

A / B = The opacity level (Assuming it ranges from 0 to 1). Once you take a look at it, B value will inevitably change as it stops being fixed so A value resets back to %100 and you reset the time for it to start disappearing while memorisation time has only increased reasonably so it's not exploity, you'll still forget fast if you don't look much

NOTE: The defaults for how many base seconds of memorization will stack per second/miliseconds and the defaults for memorization speed multipliers can be tweaked to feel reasonable in a realistic manner. You can add memorising acceleration factor to things seen very frequently to make a realistic “hometown” and “home” experience, and make the spawned house memorised for a good amount of time

3-Visualized Sound Physics (Default On game mechanic with sandbox settings and not Client-Side choice):

Normally, you just hear sounds by your real ear in game and there's no reference for the loudness and range of sounds. Now this solution will save this forever, promising an incredibly immersive and functional game mechanic

•Visual effect of transparent but screen-distorting/warping radiating circle waves that are emmitted from the source of sound, completely seperated from sight system and will always be seen no matter what. It will not cause you to see the source of sound and make it visible when it's out of your sight, emission visual effect will render completely seperately.

The loudness and range of physical sounds will affect the intensity of visual sound effects and directly translate visually.

•It will visually emit from EVERYTHING that emits sound, even very silent steps or putting an item down. It can be tweaked to not bother screen and not cause distraction at low levels. However, loud sounds should definitely bother as in real life and have reasonably intense visual effects. All real values of a physical sound like loudness and range will visually be shown exactly and completely

NOTE: This will help to know how much sound something makes and actually make the “Keen Hearing” trait actually work like hearing rather than just adding vision.