Sprinting OP?

TheDreaded1

14 minutes ago, Millitron said:

I think the real problem is how slow zombies are.  I mean, if you're fit, you can walk faster than the fastest zombies.

Well, I think you should walk faster than zombies. The sheer amount of distance I can cover in an ingame hour by RUNNING is a bit much. I think sprinting should be less about maintaining such a high speed and more short bursts of increased speed based on sprinting.

25 minutes ago, TheDreaded1 said:

Well, I think you should walk faster than zombies. The sheer amount of distance I can cover in an ingame hour by RUNNING is a bit much. I think sprinting should be less about maintaining such a high speed and more short bursts of increased speed based on sprinting.

you actually do lose speed if you constantly run without any stops, though it might be less apparent at higher levels

25 minutes ago, TheDreaded1 said:

You need to consider the size of the towns.  Muldraugh is ~3k people, Westpoint is ~4k if I remember correctly.  I live in a town of ~2000 people.  We have a grand total of 3 miles of roads.  If anything, I'd think either you're too slow in-game, or the map is too small; at least if we're judging by how much map you cover.

3 minutes ago, syfy said:

i guess its up to you to decide if the map is too small, but take a look at the true distance between Muldraugh and West Point...IRL

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Muldraugh,+KY/@37.9662956,-85.9960527,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x886920e97d5031c9:0x70e1eb33a4c46c0

Wow that's amazing.  I had no idea that the game was this closely modeled on the real Kentucky.  I love how they have the bend in the highway, the general positions of the towns (Muldraugh is all on one side of the highway for instace) and some of the bodies of water.  Even the little lake with the cabin by West Point is in-game.

But according to google, Muldraugh is 5.7 miles from West Point.  If you're pretty fit, not full-on athelete fit mind you, you can do a mile in 6 minutes.  Now that's only one mile, so to account for getting tired or pacing yourself to avoid getting tired, I'll say 8 minutes per mile.  That's 45.6 minutes.  And this depends on where google measures from.  I think they measure from city hall-to-city hall or something, not border-to-border.

You know, I think there's actually no good way to balance this.  If it's balanced for 15 minute days, the world will feel too big on 10 minute days, and too small on 30 minute days.

6 minutes ago, Millitron said:

Wow that's amazing.  I had no idea that the game was this closely modeled on the real Kentucky.  I love how they have the bend in the highway, the general positions of the towns (Muldraugh is all on one side of the highway for instace) and some of the bodies of water.  Even the little lake with the cabin by West Point is in-game.

But according to google, Muldraugh is 5.7 miles from West Point.  If you're pretty fit, not full-on athelete fit mind you, you can do a mile in 6 minutes.  Now that's only one mile, so to account for getting tired or pacing yourself to avoid getting tired, I'll say 8 minutes per mile.  That's 45.6 minutes.  And this depends on where google measures from.  I think they measure from city hall-to-city hall or something, not border-to-border.

You know, I think there's actually no good way to balance this.  If it's balanced for 15 minute days, the world will feel too big on 10 minute days, and too small on 30 minute days.

yeah, if you scroll out a bit, you can also see the general areas of Fort Knox and Louisville that will be along "Soon" (NO ETAS!!! lol)

balance is a hard thing to get right, and keep a majority of players happy, but somehow they will find a way.

I'm not very fit, but I know that after about three months of regular training, I can run much much further than the breadth of Muldraugh in much less than an hour.

I couldn't do it sprinting while carrying 20 kg of gear, but keeping it THAT realistic would make it boring, just a series of relays back and forth through cleared territory carrying stuff.

In an older Mondoid they said they'd split sprinting into two different categories. Running/Jogging. And full out sprinting.

Now while that may be unrelated, if they are working so much on running I'm sure they're going to re-evaluate the sprinting curve and such.

In my opinion higher levels should equal more endurance, not speed.

10 hours ago, Millitron said:

I think the real problem is how slow zombies are.  I mean, if you're fit, you can walk faster than the fastest zombies.

Zombies are slow. Being able to out-walk them is realistic. In Zombie lore and movies/shows etc. Only a rare amount of them have sprinting Zombies (which I hate, because that isn't the kind of Zombie I grew up knowing and I don't look at these as Zombies anyway, but some kind of mutant) 28 Days/Weeks later come to mind. But Romero's version of the Zombie (slow) are the types that are common. Only way Zombies are truly dangerous is when you encounter a lot of them all at once and in a situation you can't readily run from them. 

Edited by Kelefane

In my opinion weight in bags should slow you down, and leveling up sprinting would reduce the weight penalty. Then, to go faster, leveling up sprinting should add points to fitness, which would allow you to run faster (but not ridiculously fast). Also, for all we know this animation update could add animations for different levels of exertion, so we could have walking, jogging, running, and sprinting. Then better fitness and/or sprinting could allow you to stay on a faster phase for longer or something. 

In this way, players' focus with sprinting would go away from simply going fast, and instead become more about going faster with more weight and exerting slower. Plus, I love the idea of having a bag full of loot and going as fast as you can while running from a horde, but you have to drop your bag because you can't out run them. As it is now, as long as you don't pass that weight threshold, you might as well not be carrying anything.

38 minutes ago, Spracky said:

In my opinion weight in bags should slow you down, and leveling up sprinting would reduce the weight penalty. Then, to go faster, leveling up sprinting should add points to fitness, which would allow you to run faster (but not ridiculously fast). Also, for all we know this animation update could add animations for different levels of exertion, so we could have walking, jogging, running, and sprinting. Then better fitness and/or sprinting could allow you to stay on a faster phase for longer or something. 

In this way, players' focus with sprinting would go away from simply going fast, and instead become more about going faster with more weight and exerting slower. Plus, I love the idea of having a bag full of loot and going as fast as you can while running from a horde, but you have to drop your bag because you can't out run them. As it is now, as long as you don't pass that weight threshold, you might as well not be carrying anything.

I've been thinking about weight limits recently. Why is it that, in any game with a weight limit, going 0.01 KG over your limit will break your back?

For survival based games like the new Fallout 4 gamemode and (of course) Project Zomboid, why not just have weight actually weigh you down?

If you want to do a smash and grab mission, you'd have to pack light - you can't be hauling 3 backup crowbars, a sledgehammer, emergency medical supplies, etc if you want to go in and out quickly.

An example of this is Cataclysm DDA.(though it has the same "insta-slowdown" thing as PZ and F04) You CAN strap a revolver to a holster under your armpit, three heavily modified rifles (one for assault, one for medium, one for sniping) on your back, two submachine guns on both hips, two small firearms in your back pocket, a fireaxe in your utility belt, and a survival knife in your toolbelt, but you aren't going to be very fast and nimble.

I'm not sure why you consider maximal lvl of sprinting. I've never developed character with sprinting above lvl 5, one time was close to 4,5. To get from this point to lvl 10 you need 14x more experience... And that character moved to all interesting locations in PZ (char had fast lerner + running trait). This is the point in with I abandon characters because of game boredom.

Furthermore sprinting on lvl 10 gives 40% faster running speed. I've tested it with a stopper, its 100% correct. On lvl 3 it gives 20% bonus, so biggest speed boost is on low levels of skill.

I sprint everywhere. If I'm not sneaking, then I'm sprinting, so sprinting is one of the first things maxed for me. I also have close to 500 hrs on here, so generally I survive quite a while, only really dying on lag spikes during reckless manuevers..I just think sprinting is too fast for too long, in general. 

Edited by TheDreaded1

11 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

Don't forget guys, there is realism and then there is too much realism. Which ends up sucking the fun out of the game and becoming an exercise in tedium. Every pc/console game is a video game at its core. Keep it that way.

I think barely avoiding zombie clutches would be kinda fun...having to worry about endurance and only capable of short bursts of diminishing speed...it would be intense

3 hours ago, ethanwdp said:

I've been thinking about weight limits recently. Why is it that, in any game with a weight limit, going 0.01 KG over your limit will break your back?

For survival based games like the new Fallout 4 gamemode and (of course) Project Zomboid, why not just have weight actually weigh you down?

If you want to do a smash and grab mission, you'd have to pack light - you can't be hauling 3 backup crowbars, a sledgehammer, emergency medical supplies, etc if you want to go in and out quickly.

That sounds exactly like the current system.

IMO this might not be one part of the game to overcomplicate. Even with vehicles the majority of the players will sprint everywhere, especially with the map as large as it is and as large as it will be.