Allow Merging Condiments Of The Same Kind

Zillvr

Hello guys, I'd like to suggest that we should be able to merge condiments (Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Marinara, Salt and Pepper etc.) of the same kind into a single item if their combined green bar does not exceed the maximum possible value. As of right now (IWBUMS 34.15), multiple condiments of the same type all have the same weight regardless of how many uses are left individually. Thus having multiple individual condiment items of the same kind that results to carrying more weight than necessary.

I would suggest this under the respective IWBUMS thread I'm playing on but I'd like to suggest this to the game in general which is why I'm posting it here. I hope I'm doing this right and the suggestion itself is clear enough. I also did a search on "condiments" and nothing like this was mentioned in the search results.

Lastly to the forum moderators:

Spoiler

The url link for the Suggestion Subforum and Support Subforum in the banner(?) of the PZ Updates Subforum only redirects to the same PZ Updates Subforum page. 

links.png

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hello guys, I'd like to suggest that we should be able to merge condiments (Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Marinara, Salt and Pepper etc.) of the same kind into a single item if their combined green bar does not exceed the maximum possible value. As of right now (IWBUMS 34.15), multiple condiments of the same type all have the same weight regardless of how many uses are left individually. Thus having multiple individual condiment items of the same kind that results to carrying more weight than necessary.

I would suggest this under the respective IWBUMS thread I'm playing on but I'd like to suggest this to the game in general which is why I'm posting it here. I hope I'm doing this right and the suggestion itself is clear enough. I also did a search on "condiments" and nothing like this was mentioned in the search results.

Lastly to the forum moderators:

Reveal hidden contents

The url link for the Suggestion Subforum and Support Subforum in the banner(?) of the PZ Updates Subforum only redirects to the same PZ Updates Subforum page. 

links.png

Cheers.

Uh.... Perhaps if one had a tool to do so such as: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/wasserstrom/344200?defaultImage=noimage_wasserstrom&wid=227&hei=227&fmt=jpg

Otherwise this would take a long time (even with the tool it takes a long time) to do. This may be okay for salt/pepper because of how they pour though.

5 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

Uh.... Perhaps if one had a tool to do so such as: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/wasserstrom/344200?defaultImage=noimage_wasserstrom&wid=227&hei=227&fmt=jpg

Otherwise this would take a long time (even with the tool it takes a long time) to do. This may be okay for salt/pepper because of how they pour though.

not necessarily, if you were aiming to get 100% every last bit maybe, but give me a spoon and a jar of mayo and I can certainly get most of it out and into another container. Moreover though i cant think of any reason that we should have to carry 6 bottles of ketchup if you can fit it all into only 2 bottles

56 minutes ago, winterpyre said:

not necessarily, if you were aiming to get 100% every last bit maybe, but give me a spoon and a jar of mayo and I can certainly get most of it out and into another container. Moreover though i cant think of any reason that we should have to carry 6 bottles of ketchup if you can fit it all into only 2 bottles

Well the thing is these are squeezy bottles. You wouldn't be able to get the spoon in there in the first place, and if you could get a spoon in there, you would have to get all that in the other bottle. It'd be a mess! That's why they made those thingies to put in the bottles.

I mean I guess you could squeeze one bottle into another, but you'd lose some of it in the process. Personally I think that ketchup and mustard bottles should come more than -_______ full. It can't be that everyone everywhere in KY uses all but the last drop of ketchup right before the apocalypse.

Realistically thinking about it now, I do agree that it'll be a mess merging two bottle of condiments of the same type into each other, but it's still doable.  I'd propose either of the following (separately):

1. To merge two condiments of the same type, they have to be in both primary and secondary slots while merging is happening. This should also take a while for you to finish since you have to be extra careful and moving around at all while merging will definitely fail the merge and you would end up losing one bottle of Ketchup in the process.
  2. OR How about instead of merging a Ketchup Bottle with another Ketchup Bottle, we can place condiments into jars which would result in Jar of Ketchup, etc. 

Again, the two items above are separate ideas. I'd just really like to be able to save space since inventory management can get chaotic while attempting to cook and prepare multiple food items.  The most feasible one would probably the Jar thing, since its the simplest solution idea I can think of.

Btw, thanks for the replies guys.

1 hour ago, Demonic_Kat said:

I mean I guess you could squeeze one bottle into another, but you'd lose some of it in the process.

well your also going to lose some of it just through normal use, we can prolly assume the -____ left is how much left until a normal person would be done with it or consider it empty, not necessarily  when all the ketchup is completely gone.

33 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

so being able to save the overall carried weight when moving and making stuff (cooking/preparing food items) helps with the process which is why I'm suggesting it.  

this, its less important for ketchup and mayo but I don't want to be penalized 10 units of weight for looting two gas cans that are ----____ full when really we should be able to reduce that my merging them(which isn't nearly as messy as ketchup to do either)

5 hours ago, winterpyre said:

well your also going to lose some of it just through normal use, we can prolly assume the -____ left is how much left until a normal person would be done with it or consider it empty, not necessarily  when all the ketchup is completely gone.

I wasn't saying that that's how much would be left. That's how much condiments start out with regardless of use.

What would solve this issue, I think, would be to start out condiments at full (normally) and have a chance of finding used ones. That way when you carry them back to base, you usually don't feel so bad about the balance of their weight vs. their utility.

Having the dilemma of deciding between what to take and what to leave behind is part of the challenge of the game though. Being able to consolidate, if implemented, should be a time consuming task. One will have to decide what is most important in the situation: weight, speed, and/or time.

Edited by Demonic_Kat

I have implemented that in my Secondhand Loot mod.

Basically, any item with a "Remaining" attribute will be merged when you put them into the same container.

There is a blacklist for some items (batteries, any item that turns into another item when empty (bottles)) that won't be merged, though.

There are up- and downsides to this:
Upside: Less total weight (see two almost empty charcoal bags)

Downside: Can't split two half-empty items between two people anymore (not an issue in single player)

Personally, I don't care much about "how do you get the ketchup out of the bottle) much. We can put ammo rounds into boxes that we don't have, too.

On 4/21/2016 at 5:33 AM, blindcoder said:

I have implemented that in my Secondhand Loot mod.

Basically, any item with a "Remaining" attribute will be merged when you put them into the same container.

There is a blacklist for some items (batteries, any item that turns into another item when empty (bottles)) that won't be merged, though.

There are up- and downsides to this:
Upside: Less total weight (see two almost empty charcoal bags)

Downside: Can't split two half-empty items between two people anymore (not an issue in single player)

Personally, I don't care much about "how do you get the ketchup out of the bottle) much. We can put ammo rounds into boxes that we don't have, too.

This is true, I never thought of this. Where DO those boxes come from?