Easy Co-op Test

EasyPickins

42 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You can set that in your sandbox options by modifying the spawnpoint line.

I told the guy with the fastest computer to launch the server for obvious reasons but he's never played it before so he just skiped all that.

So, I did a co-op test with 2 others for short bursts of time over the past 2 days. I will say that as long as someone in the game already sends you a steam invite, the process to join is a snap. For some reason, attempting to directly join by the "join game" button on steam doesn't work, the server fails to respond.  This is without messing with my router settings, typing IP addresses, ports, or any of that, which makes it so my underage son could host without direct intervention on my part, it is just that simple, great job!

So far, the game has been super stable, though we did notice when he accidentally started the game in 32 bit on the first test, that the zombies brain power was directly affected. Once he realized that it was like technic's launcher (minecraft) he had that fixed on his own. (laggy zombies are amusing, but not particularly dangerous) He did need help with the sandbox settings, mostly out of fear I think, of breaking something or otherwise ruining the fun. Perhaps I missed the preset "survival, initial infection, and 6 months later" options, but I personally would prefer to see them available.

15 hours ago, zomboid123 said:

I'm not doing anything yet, and I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the co-op is more or less the current server software running in a VM going by console text posted in this thread and the need to allocate memory.

Disclaimer: I have yet to test the feature.

My guess is that it doesn't launch a full blown VM, just a new Java process. Java being itself a VM of sorts, it has a limit of memory it can use, which you can specify when launching the process using the -Xm flags.

All in all, I think it is a good thing, since it should allow the server to survive a client crash. Sure the memory consumption is a fair bigger, bit IMHO the advantages outweigh this inconvenience.

Whenever I attempt to open Project Zomboid with the online branch, it immediately crashes upon opening. I am running it on Mac's latest El Capitan OSX. I have removed all my mods, reinstalled, restarted, etc. Any ideas? I have 16GBs of RAM.

15 minutes ago, Brad3439 said:

Whenever I attempt to open Project Zomboid with the online branch, it immediately crashes upon opening. I am running it on Mac's latest El Capitan OSX. I have removed all my mods, reinstalled, restarted, etc. Any ideas? I have 16GBs of RAM.

In Steam, right click PZ -> Properties -> disable the Steam in-game community overlay. Does it now launch?

Hey guys not sure what is wrong but I keep getting server not responding. I can go into my game but others can't. So 2 other friends of mine made servers of their own and still all of us are getting server not responding. We can all go into our own. Server though.  We only try joining through invites. Is there something we need to do? 

Hi guys!

That's what I was really waiting for, as I had no idea how to make old server system working... Now with just few clicks everything works perfect! Great job ;)

But... is there any way to keep characters after closing server? My character and world are saved, but other players' are not...

29 minutes ago, Soha said:

Hi guys!

That's what I was really waiting for, as I had no idea how to make old server system working... Now with just few clicks everything works perfect! Great job ;)

But... is there any way to keep characters after closing server? My character and world are saved, but other players' are not...

If your IP is changing . .  .

From the Co-Op FAQ:

Q. My IP changes regularly; How do my friends keep their characters?
Your friends will need to navigate to %UserProfile%\Zomboid\Multiplayer\Saves\ and modify the IP address of their saves to match your new IP address. Save folders are in the format of: ip_port_username

(caveat, this might be wrong -- some things seem a bit different with this build.)

Hey does this new version work on Macs? I am on a PC and it is working fine for me. My girlfriend however can not get the new easy server beta to open for her.

-she hits play

-brings up black window for about 2 secounds

-window shuts down and a error window pulls up error window reads: the last time you opened project zomboid it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows do you want to try to reopen this window again? Two choices are offered to open or not re open and both result in the same.

-ether choice results in "project zomboid ended unexpectedly"

post script

Really impressed here guys, loving this new feature despite this hickup with the mac compatibility. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Robshaw

11 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It launches a new Java process, as you say, Laarmen.

It's pretty much mandatory, particularly when you take the limitations of 32-bit applications into account. It also means the client's process has to do less.

Well that explains that then. Still did not have a chance to test it out but I can't wait to give it a spin.

On 4/19/2016 at 4:41 AM, MickeyFingers said:

I deleted everything zomboid floating about, don't know what caused issue, but I have resolved.

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!! this solution worked for me! finally!!! lol deleted all previous folders that had anything to do with project zomboid and the game loaded without crashing! 

1 hour ago, Robshaw said:

Hey does this new version work on Macs? I am on a PC and it is working fine for me. My girlfriend however can not get the new easy server beta to open for her.

-she hits play

-window shuts down and a error window pulls up error window reads: the last time you opened project zomboid it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows do you want to try to reopen this window again? Two choices are offered to open or not re open and both result in the same.

post script

Really impressed here guys, loving this new feature despite this hickup with the mac compatibility. Keep up the good work!

It should work on the Mac, have your girlfriend follow these instructions to get the console output, it may show the error:

1 hour ago, Robshaw said:

-she hits play

post script

I have a macbook pro and i have the same exact problem. SO far i was able to delete any extra folders that were related to project zomboid. THis allowed to be able to play solo on the new beta version. When i try to host a game or join one my game crashes though :( 

I run a MacBook Pro early 2011 

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

9 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

It should work on the Mac, have your girlfriend follow these instructions to get the console output, it may show the error:

Thank you for your help but we have hit another road block. We get to the point where she is in her user name folder. The next step tells us to find a library folder with the "application support" folder. We can not find the Library folder in the user name folder. Can you suggest how we can find this elusive library folder? OR another way to find the Application support folder?

We found an application support folder inside the hard-drive library folder. But inside this application support folder there is no steam folder.

1 minute ago, Robshaw said:

Thank you for your help but we have hit another road block. We get to the point where she is in her user name folder. The next step tells us to find a library folder with the "application support" folder. We can not find the Library folder in the user name folder. Can you suggest how we can find this elusive library folder? OR another way to find the Application support folder?

We found an application support folder inside the hard-drive library folder. But inside this application support folder there is no steam folder.

In the Steam window, right-click on Project Zomboid, choose Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files.

2 minutes ago, EasyPickins said:

In the Steam window, right-click on Project Zomboid, choose Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files.

We successfully completed the steps in the youtube video but the same error/crash occurs. We also have tried completely deleting local files through steam and re installing with the online test version and this did not work ether. It is also worth noting if we go back to the non online test, the backupyoursave or the normal version of the game that the game works so the error is only with the online beta