Realistic zombie spawn settings

Ramibuk

I'm looking for some settings to get like 3-6 zombies per house + rare large horde spawn. It looks all right at start, but after couple of days there are large groups of 10-15 zombies per house everywhere.Their count Is clearly much more higher as original town population. I have no idea where they came from, but it always happens. I'm trying to make proper setup for days now but no success. If someone have proper apocalypse setup, please let me now.

12 hours ago, Ramibuk said:

I'm looking for some settings to get like 3-6 zombies per house + rare large horde spawn. It looks all right at start, but after couple of days there are large groups of 10-15 zombies per house everywhere.Their count Is clearly much more higher as original town population. I have no idea where they came from, but it always happens. I'm trying to make proper setup for days now but no success. If someone have proper apocalypse setup, please let me now.

In my experience, you're not going to get a small distribution of 3-6 z's with random large hordes as well. You can have one or the other, or artificially create the situation AFTER the game's started.

If you want a small distribution like 3-6 z's per house that won't increase over time, set it to normal and turn off the respawn. This, however, will not stop the zombies from swarming your base after helicopters and other sounds. (So I guess there's your hordes?)

If you can start a server, you can do the same thing, then get on your admin account and spawn hordes. But... Then you'll have to tweak the settings that control the amounts in which z's cluster, and how they move. This could lead to many HUGE clusters and then you're back in the same place you were in before.

If you disable the grouping system entirely, zombies will instead form clusters organically. It can lead to interesting gameplay, particularly if you turn their sound follow distance to the maximum, 1000. 

Of course, this then means they don't separate on their own.

I tried few setups and normal population was way too high.I killed more than 150 zombies in first two weeks on my street with 8 houses . And that is in corner of town guarded by river from other side, rest of town is flooded completely. I guess half of that would do.

Also that was good call with maximal sound follow distance. I shot one bullet from shotgun in relatively safe area and then I died along with 60 zeds and they just keep pouring in from everywhere.

Now just to figure out respawn. I don't want zombies just popping out from nowhere but I don't  want to play in ghost town either. Can zombies wander from one cell with high population to another with "depleted" pool? And how big cell is?

Hey Ramibuk, I feel the same way about zombies. I use sandbox settings that increase the overall number of zombies, while starting off lower and scaling up very high over two months. The idea is that this is a small town with a low population, but as time wears on, zombies spread out from the big cities and swamp the countryside. I'll tell you what my settings are so you can see how I use the numbers to create that scenrio - but ultimately what you have to do is decide how you want your apocalypse to go, and tweak the numbers how you like.

I do this by setting population modifier to 1.2 - 20% more zombies, but I make it even higher with other settings. Starting population modifier is 0.66 - so the starting population is only about 0.8 times as much as normal. Population peak multiplier is 2 - so peak population is 2.4 instead of 1.5. Peak day is 60, so it ramps up twice as slow. For spawning and movement, I leave the respawn hours normal, and turn the Respawn Unseen Hours wayyyy up. A month or more. This means patrols are very very effective at keeping the local population down, and I will never encounter a zombie that's spawned in or near my safe house for no good reason. I cut the Redistribute Hours to a little over half, so zombies wander more and those empty spaces fill up naturally. Finally, I turn the Rally Group Size up to maximum, turn the rally travel distance down, and make the spacing between groups smaller than the radius of each group. This produces good natural-seeming hordes from local zombies, that will separate out a bit, but don't neatly sort themselves into axeable chunks.

I'm still playing around with it, but as my last playthrough went exactly how I wanted, I'll be keeping them roughly like that. I snuck to the waerhouse easily, cleared the area, fortified and gardened, and took up the stairs about three days before a helicopter dragged a GIANT horde through the area. I was able to lead them away using gunshots, but over the next week they spread around and groups of 5-30 hit the warehouse every now and then. The ground floor was permanently overrun and I eventually dies trying to recover building materials to refortify.

Good luck finding your own perfect death ;)

Hey Leith, your setting looks very interesting and I will try them for sure in next playthrough. I played with population peak disabled as it didnt make any sense for me why zombie population should raise if everyone is turned already. But I like idea that they wander off from big cities and it will keep my late game interesting (I never made it through 2 months, I'm too reckless i guess)  

Archived