New Metalworking (spoiler) from RJ

Strats

While the notion of having a few pre-built furnaces scattered around the world seems charming the idea of the new system boasting a mandatory "hope you like this part of the map because boy howdy are you going to be living here forever" posture strikes me as more than a bit of a departure from Zomboid's spirit. 

Further I'd rather enjoy being able to walk away from one particular corner of the promised enormous 1.0 map to check out another without lamenting that my enjoyment of an entire aspect of gameplay is tied to some crumby building in some crumby part of the map. Or, heaven's forbid, finding myself making the same trip for the 482390432th time with various metalwares for melting. I doubt I'm underestimating Kentucky's distribution of furnaces. 

Zomboid provides tremendous latitude in moving about, setting up base and providing a means for a different playstyle experience in single and group play. I mean, sure you could try to go back and live in the same 2-3 bases every single time but cripes alive does that get dull fast. If I tried to rope my friends into another multiplayer game when Zomboid hits 1.0 and told them that we're going to have a whale of a time setting up shop in the Westpoint grocery store by the hotel the drive to experience a familiar game wouldn't be particularly hot and heavy.

Not so much as, say, setting up Castle Awesome out in the wilderness with the facilities to provide everyone with the toys they want to play with. Including what appears to be the equivalent to a brick and mud furnace rather than, I dunno, an industrial iron smelter. 

Not even going to touch the competitive/semi competitive multiplayer ramifications. 

Edited by Dusty Lens

I just had an idea; So the main con to using metal barricades is noise. Can we have the option to throw heavy blankets or many blankets on top of the metal barricades? This would make it so when the zombie hits the barricade, it hits the blanket instead, which softens the blow and quiets the metal. Also, the blanket would absorb vibrations from the metal, muffling the noise, and preventing it from ringing as long.

3 hours ago, Dusty Lens said:

While the notion of having a few pre-built furnaces scattered around the world seems charming the idea of the new system boasting a mandatory "hope you like this part of the map because boy howdy are you going to be living here forever" posture strikes me as more than a bit of a departure from Zomboid's spirit. 

In this mondoid, it's said that building your own furnace will take quite a while. I'm not going to bother counting, but that's a lot of stones. Maybe foraging is linked to it? Higher foraging skill = quicker furnace construction, due to better chance of finding stones? 

I can see the scattered furnaces just being a temporary thing while you work on your own.

2 hours ago, hunger john said:

In this mondoid, it's said that building your own furnace will take quite a while. I'm not going to bother counting, but that's a lot of stones. Maybe foraging is linked to it? Higher foraging skill = quicker furnace construction, due to better chance of finding stones? 

I can see the scattered furnaces just being a temporary thing while you work on your own.

I do recall that mondoid! I had some time to kill so I wasted a bunch of words spewing why I figured that having the ability to slap together your own furnace seemed a little more good to go.

On 4/17/2016 at 4:53 PM, Geras said:

I had the same impresssion.

Cliche thanks to Minecraft, I'll readily give you. But it's still 100% realistic. 

Tire walls should hopefully be added the same time as vehicles make it. Dusty Lens also brought up an EXCELLENT point regarding tire walls. They have been recently used to great effect by protesters in the Ukraine (see here) and filled with dirt would take an insane amount of damage from pounding zeds because they were built to take tens of thousands of miles supporting a 2 ton vehicle. To balance that they would weigh like crazy and you'd have to run back and forth with sandbags and have a shovel.

Edited by Last_Man_Standing

23 minutes ago, Last_Man_Standing said:

Cliche thanks to Minecraft, I'll readily give you. But it's still 100% realistic. 

Type "diy forge" or "diy furnace" into youtube. None of them will be made of stones. This is because no one will go gathering hundreds of stones weighting a few tonnes in total, haul them over distance and then plaster them together to build a furnace. You'd also need to know what kind of stones to use because some of stones explode while heated to high temperatures.

In the past (in the Iron Age) they used clay mixed with sand and other admixtures to form furnaces capable of melting iron ore. Later on bricks were commonly used (so clay still) because of their heat resistance and uniform shape.

11 hours ago, Geras said:

Type "diy forge" or "diy furnace" into youtube. None of them will be made of stones. This is because no one will go gathering hundreds of stones weighting a few tonnes in total, haul them over distance and then plaster them together to build a furnace. You'd also need to know what kind of stones to use because some of stones explode while heated to high temperatures.

In the past (in the Iron Age) they used clay mixed with sand and other admixtures to form furnaces capable of melting iron ore. Later on bricks were commonly used (so clay still) because of their heat resistance and uniform shape.

Within the universe of Project Zomboid I have to imagine that we'll be gathering stones from one source or another rather than slowly creating clay bricks. Given the existence of foraging mechanics.

I mean. I'd be all about some kind of clay brick system if it would allow for the creation of fireplaces, brick walls and all the other delights that are normally associated with earthen rectangles. I mean, without the days of drying out and so on. I don't know if the common brick that one could steal from a construction yard/harvest from the walls of buildings really meets the criteria at hand. But it would be killer if they did. 

@Dusty Lens

I didn't suggest that we should use clay bricks. I said people in the past used it rather than stones.

What I suggest is to take any design of diy forge from youtube. It would be more accurate and appropriate in an apocalypse scenario to use metal barrels/buckets/whatever and hair dryers to blow air instead of building a few-tonnes-worth of stones stone furnace.

Stumbled upon something a little interesting in the IsoBarricade class:

public void addMetal(IsoGameCharacter chr, InventoryItem metal)
  {
    if (getNumPlanks() > 0) {
      return;
    }
    if (this.metalHealth > 0) {
      return;
    }
    this.metalHealth = 5000;
    if (metal != null) {
      this.metalHealth = ((int)(metal.getCondition() / metal.getConditionMax() * 5000.0F));
    }
    if (chr != null) {
      this.metalHealth = ((int)(this.metalHealth * chr.getBarricadeStrengthMod()));
    }
    chooseSprite();
    if (!GameServer.bServer)
    {
      for (int pn = 0; pn < IsoPlayer.numPlayers; pn++) {
        zombie.iso.LosUtil.cachecleared[pn] = true;
      }
      IsoGridSquare.setRecalcLightTime(-1);
      GameTime.instance.lightSourceUpdate = 100.0F;
    }
    if (this.square != null) {
      this.square.RecalcProperties();
    }
  }

public InventoryItem removeMetal(IsoGameCharacter chr)
  {
    if (this.metalHealth <= 0) {
      return null;
    }
    float f = Math.min(this.metalHealth / 5000.0F, 1.0F);
    this.metalHealth = 0;
    InventoryItem item = InventoryItemFactory.CreateItem("Base.SheetMetal");
    item.setCondition((int)Math.max(item.getConditionMax() * f, 1.0F));
      if (GameServer.bServer) {
        this.square.transmitRemoveItemFromSquare(this);
      } else {
        this.square.RemoveTileObject(this);
      }
    }
    return item;
  }

public boolean isMetal()
  {
    return this.metalHealth > 0;
  }

Looks like we're getting

metal barricades!

20 hours ago, ethanwdp said:

Stumbled upon something a little interesting in the IsoBarricade class:

Hide contents

public void addMetal(IsoGameCharacter chr, InventoryItem metal)
  {
    if (getNumPlanks() > 0) {
      return;
    }
    if (this.metalHealth > 0) {
      return;
    }
    this.metalHealth = 5000;
    if (metal != null) {
      this.metalHealth = ((int)(metal.getCondition() / metal.getConditionMax() * 5000.0F));
    }
    if (chr != null) {
      this.metalHealth = ((int)(this.metalHealth * chr.getBarricadeStrengthMod()));
    }
    chooseSprite();
    if (!GameServer.bServer)
    {
      for (int pn = 0; pn < IsoPlayer.numPlayers; pn++) {
        zombie.iso.LosUtil.cachecleared[pn] = true;
      }
      IsoGridSquare.setRecalcLightTime(-1);
      GameTime.instance.lightSourceUpdate = 100.0F;
    }
      this.square.RecalcProperties();
    }
  }

public InventoryItem removeMetal(IsoGameCharacter chr)
  {
    if (this.metalHealth <= 0) {
      return null;
    }
    float f = Math.min(this.metalHealth / 5000.0F, 1.0F);
    this.metalHealth = 0;
    InventoryItem item = InventoryItemFactory.CreateItem("Base.SheetMetal");
    item.setCondition((int)Math.max(item.getConditionMax() * f, 1.0F));
      if (GameServer.bServer) {
        this.square.transmitRemoveItemFromSquare(this);
      } else {
        this.square.RemoveTileObject(this);
      }
    }
    return item;
  }

public boolean isMetal()
  {
    return this.metalHealth > 0;
  }

Looks like we're getting

Hide contents

metal barricades!

We already knew this. Since the very beginning. Also they are already in the game. I posted some pictures of them above.

1 hour ago, dannyisdude said:

We already knew this. Since the very beginning. Also they are already in the game. I posted some pictures of them above.

Oh, okay. I actually couldn't tell at first from your pictures, they're kind of hard to spot.

Edited by ethanwdp

• 1 month later...

Those bars have some interesting potential applications. Could you possible stab or shoot through them? If a house has these bars, do you need specific tools to break in? On multiplayer, would these be a way to trap players who have been relieved of specific tools? Properties unique to certain barricades are an interesting concept.

These should be immune to zombie thumping, as in, it won't take damage from being hit, unless with sledgehammers(Which will take like 2 hours and be super loud) or being disassembled with tools.
The only way to breach one, in my opinion, would be to A. blow a hole in it with a bomb. B. Ram it with a Truck. C. Have hundreds of zombies in unison crumple it over.

Also...

Does this mean we'll be able to make swords? Like, european-kind of swords. 
It'd be nice to give us the option to try at least. 
 Even if the crude things we make aren't the best, i'm sure anyone who had the option would try.

Edited by LeetgamerBoi

13 hours ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

These should be immune to zombie thumping

I wonder, if devs let us create "Fortress of Doom", if metal barricades will be indestructible for zeds and will draw more of them. So we could starve/die from boredom in our base. 

<Reserved: 10/10 would doom to death again.>

Edited by Keshash