New Metalworking (spoiler) from RJ

Strats

It honestly looks like random wooden wall in grayscale with brightness increased a lot.

I can't help it, I don't like the idea of metalworking at all the more I think about it. I just can't like it after all the games where I insert ore in furnace > get ingot > build metal stuff, is more durable than wood. Video games have completely ruined my perception of metalworking (Not to mention almost getting me to believe that a gold pickaxe is actually usable).

I could get behind maybe finding/salvaging some metal from sledging a metal object and screwing it over a window/door to reinforce it but walls? I have enough suspension of disbelief problems with log walls that just stand there with no trench or support.

I'm honestly "meh" about the whole concept and idea unless we seriously ditch even the skill magazines and make ALL of metalworking EXCLUSIVE to a profession.

Edit: I do know they ditched ingots, I still dislike the idea of metalworking in PZ as it's being advertised.

Edit 2: Could be that I'm seriously sick of this "gamey" progression of wood->metal->gold->whateverthefck, meteorite

Edited by Svarog

4 minutes ago, Batsphinx said:

Worth noting that, as far as 'looks' are concerned (which I know aren't your only concerns Svarog) the way this wall appears in-game has changed a fair bit since RJ tweeted it.

Good to know, and I don't really mind you going forward with it, it's your game. I'll mod it out if I don't like it which I'll always thank you for making easy to do :P you guys go with your vision ;)

Edited by Svarog
Typos

10 minutes ago, Kelefane said:

What about those large tall Prison style chain link fences? Are those in this? That is *the* main fence type I'd really like in this game. 

There is an unused icon for a folded chainlink fence in the game files. But don't hold your breath :S

Edited by Svarog

8 minutes ago, Svarog said:

There is an unused icon for a folden chainlink fence in the game files. But don't hold your breath :S

Perhaps an oversight that its not craftable then? Because there are such fences already in the game. Even the tall prison style chain link ones...

Edited by Kelefane

27 minutes ago, Svarog said:

It honestly looks like random wooden wall in grayscale with brightness increased a lot.

I can't help it, I don't like the idea of metalworking at all the more I think about it. I just can't like it after all the games where I insert ore in furnace > get ingot > build metal stuff, is more durable than wood. Video games have completely ruined my perception of metalworking (Not to mention almost getting me to believe that a gold pickaxe is actually usable).

I could get behind maybe finding/salvaging some metal from sledging a metal object and screwing it over a window/door to reinforce it but walls? I have enough suspension of disbelief problems with log walls that just stand there with no trench or support.

I'm honestly "meh" about the whole concept and idea unless we seriously ditch even the skill magazines and make ALL of metalworking EXCLUSIVE to a profession.

Edit: I do know they ditched ingots, I still dislike the idea of metalworking in PZ as it's being advertised.

Edit 2: Could be that I'm seriously sick of this "gamey" progression of wood->metal->gold->whateverthefck, meteorite

I agree with you.

Metal and wood should feel different and play different roles other than durability or something like having pros and cons.

I am sure if a zombie is hitting the metal wall, its going to make a FUCK ton more noise than hitting on a wooden wall.

What i really like about the metalworking is that we are going to get welding stuff together, that is something that zombie media in general never shows, its always barricades of wood (classy).

I want to see how the professions start evening out, i mean, i dont want to see the metalworker be the new carpenter, but i am sure that wont happen for rain barrels and all of that, i am just ranting my thoughts here.

15 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

I agree with you.

Metal and wood should feel different and play different roles other than durability or something like having pros and cons.

I am sure if a zombie is hitting the metal wall, its going to make a FUCK ton more noise than hitting on a wooden wall.

What i really like about the metalworking is that we are going to get welding stuff together, that is something that zombie media in general never shows, its always barricades of wood (classy).

I want to see how the professions start evening out, i mean, i dont want to see the metalworker be the new carpenter, but i am sure that wont happen for rain barrels and all of that, i am just ranting my thoughts here.

I honestly see the Magazines and to some extent skill books as a bad thing. I do think that some stuff should be made exclusive to professions. Hell, maybe even have a skill level roof for non professions characters. It would do good for MP, kinda shit in SP with no NPCs but I really can't get over maxing out carpentry by spamming wooden floors. [At the same place mind you, I could probably build a skyscraper with the amount of planks I placed on the same tile]

I mean a magazine with good/bad mushrooms, berries, sure. I get that. "Your first Axe" for metalworking? I don't think the PZ loot distribution system can make that rare enough.

Edit: A way to get over the skill celling for non professions? Getting tutoring from professionals.

Edited by Svarog

28 minutes ago, Svarog said:

I honestly see the Magazines and to some extent skill books as a bad thing. I do think that some stuff should be made exclusive to professions. Hell, maybe even have a skill level roof for non professions characters. It would do good for MP, kinda shit in SP with no NPCs but I really can't get over maxing out carpentry by spamming wooden floors. [At the same place mind you, I could probably build a skyscraper with the amount of planks I placed on the same tile]

I mean a magazine with good/bad mushrooms, berries, sure. I get that. "Your first Axe" for metalworking? I don't think the PZ loot distribution system can make that rare enough.

Edit: A way to get over the skill celling for non professions? Getting tutoring from professionals.

Thats exactly what i was thinking about, having recepies or a certain level that just cant be reached unless other professional teaches you how to do it and then you uncap that skill level.

In my opinion professions should play a bigger role in the sense of you can do basic stuff of other professions with the right skills and finding or learning recipes from other players/ NPCs but the more complex stuff should be only locked behind a profession.

With enough time and grinding in MP you can become a literal jack of all trades and do all the stuff a electrician/ engineer can do while begin carpenter, that reminds of Skyrim (in a bad way).

From my point of view, limiting what a player with or without a profession can do, bring in the whole "lets work together" mentality, at the start of any MP server, you can see how players in the chat are looking for carpenters, doctor, chef or farmer to form a group, because they get the kickstart of having those points.

Later on everyone becomes the jack of all trades and the professions are left behind.

Edited by Blasted_Taco
Gave away my possessions and moved in to a Chevy

11 minutes ago, Geras said:

I hope the Repairman occupation will get a +1 to welding bonus.

Also, as mentioned before, craftable concrete base, barbed wire on top chainlink fence. Very much.

Yes yes and yes! Barbed Wire on top of a high chain link fence is totally what i want too!

7 minutes ago, Blasted_Taco said:

From my point of view, limiting what a player with or without a profession can do, bring in the whole "lets work together" mentality, at the start of any MP server, you can see how players in the chat are looking for carpenters, doctor, chef or farmer to form a group, because they get the kickstart of having those points.

So much of this. Full agree.

Edit: Seriosly, getting on a chat KNOWING, you'll NEVER fix up ur broken leg as good as an actual doctor would, meeting in the middle of nowhere and getting a proper treatment in exchange for valuables? Awesome! Knowing that you can grind something out? Fck that carpenter dude that keeps asking if he's needed. I'll build my own walls, with plaster and paint.

Edited by Svarog

11 minutes ago, Svarog said:

So much of this. Full agree.

Edit: Seriosly, getting on a chat KNOWING, you'll NEVER fix up ur broken leg as good as an actual doctor would, meeting in the middle of nowhere and getting a proper treatment in exchange for valuables? Awesome! Knowing that you can grind something out? Fck that carpenter dude that keeps asking if he's needed. I'll build my own walls, with plaster and paint.

I've always thought that maxing out each skill is knowledge that would take lifetimes, and you should have to specialize, with no access to certain things based on profession. It would only work on mp though, currently.

1 minute ago, TheDreaded1 said:

I've always thought that maxing out each skill is knowledge that would take lifetimes, and you should have to specialize, with no access to certain things based on profession. It would only work on mp though, currently.

Thats the role that npcs  would fill,  asking them to teach you stuff or you teaching them stuff, i guess that if they decide to rework how professions and skill levels play out, it would be when npcs  are in the game or very near close to it since SP people like me would be left out.

12 minutes ago, TheDreaded1 said:

Currently, yeah but even then, I tend to self impose some skill limits unto myself in SP for fun's sake. I once built a doghouse, it collapsed 2 weeks later. I know that american houses are built out of wood but I'd never be able to build one alone, again, I can suspend my disbelief enough to go with wooden walls but it gets hard, and I live in a country where all houses are made of bricks and concrete.

I can get over most "gamey" stuff but PZ was, to me, since I started playing it, grounded in reality much more so than most games. Metalworking as it WAS advertised made me think "They goin' minecraft" As it IS being advertised makes me think "Well Hydrocraft is popular, let's kinda integrate"  or "We need more gamey stuff".

Like I said, I hate this stuff in Video Games lately. Even a fairly recent game that I LOVE does that "Stardew Valley", in PZ I just can't see it being done well enough. I mean, stone furnace? Gaming cliche much? I see myself modding it out. But then again, it ain't my game and I trust TIS to deliver, so far all features they added I like a lot, they listened to community about ingots, hopefully metalworking will be mostly welding and scavenging.

Note: Apparently I'm in a rant mood today, sorry :D

Edit: Take no offense for my comment HydromancerX, your mod is awesome but I don't see half of it fitting well into base game, it's just me.

Edited by Svarog

So, like 'everyman' welding? Basically no fabrication, more repurposing? I can see that, but i think occupations should play a huge role in your abilities, even to the point that you can start at a high level of an occupation. The minecraft formula is successful, honestly, so I wouldn't mind as long as it was based in truer-to-life survivalist aspects.

Edited by TheDreaded1