Rabbit Pelt Tanning

dangalong

Rabbit Fur Tanning gives the option to turn a dead rabbit into carcass items that can either be further processed into meat cutlets or pelts for tanning, and tanned pelts can ultimately be made into a fur coat that gives some extra warmth for winter time. The tanning process is based loosely on a real-life method using a salt and battery acid recipe with water in a plastic bucket. You must have a Hunting Knife to do the skinning to get a viable pelt. Rotten or burnt dead rabbits will yield bad quality products if processed, raw pelts will rot if left unfinished for too long, and bad quality pelts cannot be used in tanning.

The reason you get 2 carcasses from 1 dead rabbit is because I wanted to simulate the idea of getting to choose between getting more meat back from the animal, or sacrificing some of the meat to save more of the skin for tanning, or vice versa. And this way you can choose to get both some meat and a pelt from one animal, but with a smaller portion of meat returned, and this was the only way I could figure out how to make that work for now. This also means you can get 2 pelts from the same rabbit if you are willing to sacrifice all of the meat.

Recipe instructions: Need to be level 3 Trapper for all new recipes added by this mod. Gut dead rabbit gives 2 Rabbit Carcasses, and either knife can be used at this step. Rabbit carcasses can be further processed into either Rabbit Cutlets (edible meat) or Raw Rabbit Pelts (also edible but not recommended to eat). A Hunting Knife is required to get the pelt off the carcass. Raw Rabbit Pelts in good condition, i.e. fresh (not off, burnt, or rotten) can be used with the Tanning Solution to create Unworked rabbit pelts. Tanning solution requires 1 bucket, 1 battery, 10 uses of salt, and 10 units of water, and has a total of 5 uses once created. Empty bucket is returned after solution is depleted or dumped out. Once tanned, rabbit pelts become non-perishable, but have to be further "worked" to get a finished pelt usable in the final recipe. In real life this would involve drying, stretching, and fluffing the pelt to make it soft and viable for clothing. The Rabbit Fur Coat is made with 20 finished pelts and 10 uses of thread. At this time the coat produced by the final recipe will be randomly colored, because I am not up to the point of making a custom model in the game yet to override this, so the icons are based on the vanilla sweater. However, the coat is slightly heavier, and has a warmth factor of 25 instead of 15. Vanilla Butcher option for only getting regular meat from dead rabbits is still usable.

Extra note: Is compatible with rabbits from UngratefulDead's Hunting Mod.

Tested on build 33.2.

Future plans for this mod:

1) Find a better way to get both meat and pelt options from dead rabbits without having double carcasses come from each rabbit that is processed.

2) Create a custom icon for the pelts instead of using the generic deadrabbit icon.

3) Create a custom model for the coat instead of using the generic sweater graphics/colors.

4) Find a solution to the problem of the duplication exploit on the parent item (involving trap bait removal). In the meantime, if you want the mod to be appropriately challenging, then just don't use the exploit. :)

5) Learn more Lua so I can make better codes.

Let me know of any suggestions or if there are any problems if you try this mod. I will be using in my own games I play in PZ, so I will update with any bugfixes or upgrades I can figure out along the way.

Update: Bug with evolvedrecipe for cooking Rabbit Cutlet fixed.

Update: Updated recipe code to fix hunger values of Rabbit Cutlet.

Update: Fixed bug where HM's dead rabbits weren't giving the option to gut them for carcasses.

Update: Fixed bug where modded food items weren't returning correct hunger values after processing recipes.

Update: Pelts are now required to be fully fresh to be tanned. Off pelts or pelts from off rabbits/carcasses will be ignored by the tanning recipe.

Update: Pelts can no longer be added as bait to a trap. Pelts from carcasses that have been duplicated on a trap will not be usable for tanning.

Update: Pelts that are cooked can no longer be tanned.

Update: Updated Rabbit Cutlet item with new nutrition system values for build 34.

Update: Fixed missing sweater icon in new version.

Download: RabbitPeltTanningV2.zip

Edited by dangalong
updated mod version