Zombies Are Too Smart

vonVile

Their AI needs to be adjusted because they're too intelligent. One of  the major problems are that a horde of zombies are like bloodhounds when they chase after you. I can run a mile away through a forest and empty field and all the zombies will make it to my safe house. There needs to be something in the code that makes them loose interest after losing line of sight for a long time. No zombie is ever that motivated to the go cross country to find one live person.

Also zombies shouldn't be able to hear you kill a zombie with a melee weapon from over 3 tiles away if the zombie you kill doesn't react by screaming. The sound of a weapon crushing a zombie skull shouldn't cause every zombie in the region to react especially when they have no line of sight. A silent kill should be like the classic stealth neck break in spy video games.

Alright, zombies are re-animated human corpses - right?

So, the zombies are using human senses. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you were behind me (say, 20ft) hitting some asshat with a baseball bat - I'm gonna hear it.

Though I do agree about their AI need readjusting, and it's most likely still a WIP. Some of the actions the zombies do are kind of absurd. 

Alright, zombies are re-animated human corpses - right?

So, the zombies are using human senses. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you were behind me (say, 20ft) hitting some asshat with a baseball bat - I'm gonna hear it.

Though I do agree about their AI need readjusting, and it's most likely still a WIP. Some of the actions the zombies do are kind of absurd. 

Well if you think about it, what is needed for hearing? You have specific bones in your ear along with hair cells (these die when you are exposed to too loud sounds, or less loud sounds for too long).

When you die, your hair cells become dysfunctional immediately, these cells are one of those that die and dissolve the fastest. So even if in some miraculous way reanimated corpses have a functioning neural system, they still have to somehow regenerate these cells, and readjust their hearing bones too.

So all you zombies out there in Muldraugh, be happy that you can hear something at all.

Also additionally if you bleed zombies can smell it and follow the trail of blood. I think it's all about finding ways to disappear. Like Interknet said zombies use human senses to locate things, thankfully they arn't as fast or as smart. I find sprinting till their well out of sight then sneaking through a corner or through a side street can loose them very quickly. I mean they do eventually loose interest that is for certain, if they loose you. (you might also be getting trolled by the spawning mechanics of .17, I have been more than once having hordes appear almost out of thin air. )

As for killing a zombie with a bat would create a fair amount of noise it is by no means a silent act by any stretch of the word. Skulls are hard objects, they're there to protect the brain from strong blows. So the force necessary to cause massive damage to the brain would be quite substantial even if the zombie is decomposing. More force = more sound waves in this case. Zombies don't react to their own groans naturally however the sound of one of them getting attacked would attract some attention.

The problem for now is a bug with the Meta Game causing zombie hordes to just go through houses and forests like ghosts.

And for smelling blood, they are still humansso why would they suddenly be Lessy?

Hopefully the metagame will get an update when NPC's come to play :P.

They have human senses, their bodies are human but they are not. In every game i've played zombies swarm me when I am bleeding. I can only narrow it down to smell really, unless they have a weird 6th sense when it comes to spilled blood.

i dont see much problem with the AI, i find if you avoid walking in straight lines they have a hard time following you long distance. seems like they go to the last place they heard a sound or follow the direction they last saw you walking. other than that you can go in a house and climb out a window and theyll usually stay at that house and bang around while u make your escape out the other side.

a few things im wondering tho, people have said they follow blood, does this include their own blood? ive noticed a sometimes that after killing a few zombies outside my safe house a bunch will show up near the carnage a while later.

also are zombies more aggressive at night?  I rarely go out at night (partially because my flashlights wont turn on) but the times i did the zombies were going nuts. shambling faster and somehow able to see / hear me from easily 2-3 times the distance. just narrowly escaped.

Well, I don't think I could smell a small trail of blood, especially out in the open, unless I was crawling on the ground constantly, and tracking it would be still slow. Also, I don't think a zombie would actually follow a few drops of blood, and if you're leaving a huge trail of blood, you're kind of in deep shit anyway.

But whatever. So be it, let the zombies be the sharks of the dry land.

i dont see much problem with the AI, i find if you avoid walking in straight lines they have a hard time following you long distance. seems like they go to the last place they heard a sound or follow the direction they last saw you walking. other than that you can go in a house and climb out a window and theyll usually stay at that house and bang around while u make your escape out the other side.

a few things im wondering tho, people have said they follow blood, does this include their own blood? ive noticed a sometimes that after killing a few zombies outside my safe house a bunch will show up near the carnage a while later.

also are zombies more aggressive at night?  I rarely go out at night (partially because my flashlights wont turn on) but the times i did the zombies were going nuts. shambling faster and somehow able to see / hear me from easily 2-3 times the distance. just narrowly escaped.

thwy usually show up because the spawning of zombs seems to be bugged