3D Water Tiles -- Water Based Gameplay

vickorano

The water in PZ is aesthetically flat and a little confusing. There are pixel animations within the game and I was hoping maybe the water tiles could be re-done to look more like moving water, with waves lapping at the shore. This can be done in 3D and turned into pixel sprites, to more seemlessly integrate into the atmosphere of the game.

I am very impressed with the 2x Tiles and I'm not trying to devalue anyone's work. But I think creating the world's tiles in 3D would fix a lot of the perspective problems, confusing details, aesthetic inconsistencies and make animations easier.

Just a thought. You guys have done amazing work on the game art so far, and I know you're focused more on making the game work well and diversifying gameplay aspects. The water of the PZ world could use a little pixel-love is all. There are some shading issues that make certain aspects of the map look flat, rather than raised. I'm just thinking making some things, like structure, in 3D would help pop out the bridges, along with better shading beneath structures. Perhaps in the distant future boats, docks, floating homes, swimming, and travel via water might be a playable aspect of the game, and with that would need a water overhaul.

So really, this is isn't an immediate issue. Just ideas floating around in my brain for future possibilities.

I agree; water/swamp based plant life and survival would be a welcome addition to the game. The way the game currently works with different levels is a little disorienting, I hope maybe in the future they'll figure out how to resolve that. Making the character models 3D for ease of animation and adding things was a good idea that I think could be applied to entire game without hurting functionality. It would make modelling or editing any kind of tile in the game much easier. I have a love of pixel art, don't get me wrong. I think this is a game that has already demonstrated being benefited by 3D though. It would only help the game I think.

Exactly, Sadly the devs likely wont be doing any world aesthetics in 3D. It was planned a long time ago but game optimizations made it pointless (Other Than world smexiness) so the devs stopped wanting to do it. Lately I have seen a lot of people wanting it though so maybe the devs will change their mind at some point? Who knows.

Edited by xXSly_WolfyXx

The water looks ok I guess. I mean there isn't a wave effect really. If you aren't right next to it, then its hard to tell its moving. I go to a few resturants along the ohio and the only time I really notice it moving is when there is stuff floating in it.. like a tree.

Here is a couple shots of the Ohio, the first is Waterfront park. A really popular place. But it was built in 99, so likely won't be in the game. Louisville was a pretty crappy place until they did all these upgrades downtown in the late 90s. New stadium, skate park, 4th st entertainment district, the waterfront, several other parks and a baseball field. 

Waterfront.jpg

Ohio River2.jpg