metalworking aesthetics

Sanctus

Seeing some of the pictures from the metalworking stuff it seems like the fences and things you build are professionally made? 

Even a trained smith wouldn't have the tools or skills to make a black cast iron fence/gate. Those kinds of tools are used in factories.

The metalworking fences and things should look more improvised.  the bars in the fence wouldn't be very straight and they couldn't be as nice looking as they are.

Cd0xlBfWoAAvxv2.jpg

Far too pretty.  Devs are too good at the art in this game.

Edited by loudboomaker

3 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

On the other hand, our neighbors will have lovely fences to sim-appropriate.

(I've seen welders construct these with templates; though that was only a 4" one, using rectangular tubing; so I wouldn't consider it impossible, as is. More common is just to use bolt together panels now, though.)

Would be a cool idea to seek out rare templates in the gameworld, to which if you have a high enough metalwork/welding skill then you could construct them. 

Quite a few times I've seen someone say on the Project Zomboid forum something like "Expecting to make things out of cast iron is unrealistic, so this idea is unrealistic". I agree it's true that with the collapse of the economy people would be back to living like they did in the middle ages, and that it would be quite a huge undertaking to do that cast iron business, but melting iron down and pouring it into a mould is not the only way to make a fence. I don't know whether some people on this forum have unfortunately never heard of wrought iron, or think there would be a problem with it. It is possible for a blacksmith to make a wrought iron fence. He could even find metal bars in a shop or warehouse. It need not be cast to be black. I only objected to the thing about cast iron, so please do not start arguing against me as though I am saying things I am not.

The majority of the population, today, doesn't have the tools or technical skills to be medival artisans in metal working (which were often trained from a very young age . . . ) and probably isn't capable of producing factory-perfect fencing . . . unless they're professionals in a specific trade and spent a good chunk of their life earning their skills.

And that's ignoring that "wrought iron" and "cast-iron" fences just seem to describe their appearance. It's probably not actually used because the fence would be  massively heavy . .  .

Why would you even get into smelting and molds for this? The world is jam-packed with perfectly servicable metal tubing and I'm hoping that's not TIS's plan with the revised metal working.

But hey, it's the same problem with logs and making planks . . . Houses have tons of those, yet we don't rip them out of said houses.