Boil bandages and ripped sheets to sterilize

Geras

As of now, as far as disinfecting bandages and ripped sheets are concerned, we are limited to a finite number of disinfectant bottles spawned in the world.

Boiling bandages in a pot, pan or kettle of water over a camp fire/grill/stove would be a realistic solution for that problem. Dirty bandages/ripped sheets should first be cleaned and then boiled. It would be cool if we could put a few of those in a single pot/pan and mixed sheets with bandages as well.

Edited by Geras

2 minutes ago, Geras said:

Nope, all could happen, I believe, is that it could shrink a little. Put it in water, make water boil for a few minutes, take it out with, dry, and you are set.

I guess but still wouldnt it just be more efficient to clean it off with a water bottle it takes less water than heating up a cooking pot unless i had like 10 bandages in there at once...

2 hours ago, Geras said:

You can already clean bandages and ripped sheets with water but that does not make the sterile. What I want is an alternative method to make them sterile because as of now we are limited to disinfectant bottles.

That's fair,  though I suspect the only reason they don't require boiling right now is because, when they were originally added, it wasn't possible to detect if a pot of water was boiling.

12 hours ago, Geras said:

As of now, as far as disinfecting bandages and ripped sheets are concerned, we are limited to a finite number of disinfectant bottles spawned in the world.

Boiling bandages in a pot or pan of water over a camp fire/grill/stove would be a realistic solution for that problem. Dirty bandages/ripped sheets should first be cleaned and then boiled. It would be cool if we could put a few of those in a single pot/pan and mixed sheets with bandages as well.

Will do some research on this and if its true than i will add it to the PZ Vanilla Patch Mod :)

1 hour ago, ShuiYin said:

Will do some research on this and if its true than i will add it to the PZ Vanilla Patch Mod :)

Boiling water has reached a temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 100 degrees Celsius. This is more than sufficient to kill any bacteria or virus that would be hanging out on the bandage itself.

But a bandage that is sterilized is not the same as a disinfected bandage.

I agree with the OP, but really the fact is that cleaning a bloody bandage with cold water is not the way.

It should be boiled to clean, aka sterilized and then disinfected.

I dont often play mp where supplies can get low but in sp after a few months i have enough bottles of disinfectant for me and a small army of npc's.

26 minutes ago, NebNebber said:

I agree with the OP, but really the fact is that cleaning a bloody bandage with cold water is not the way.

It should be boiled to clean, aka sterilized and then disinfected 

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. You never clean off blood of anything with hot water.

https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/laundry-washing/removing-blood-stains-from-clothes

You are also mistaken with sterilization. Boiling stuff sterilizes it (kills all germs). No need to further disinfect it (reduce the number of germs).

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Disinfect_vs_Sterilize

I think that while you can sterilize a bandage with boiling it, adding a disinfectant or cream to the bandage should help it STAY clean. Like Neosporin on a Bandaid*. The Bandaid is already sterile, but the Neosporin helps it stay clean.

*These are brand names. Neosporin is a topical antibacterial ointment and Bandaids are adhesive bandages.

Disinfectant applied to a boiled bandage would be intended for the wound, I would think.

Certainly not a bad idea though, it'd be very handy when there are no alcohol wipes available, and is a far preferable option to splashing good whisky around

: ]

+1 on adding the boiled bandages to the game.  I'd also suggest adding instruments (tweezers, suture needles) to this mechanic too.

If you really want to nit-pick, or fear this could make the game too easy; they should probably need to be removed from the pot with boiled or disinfected tweezers, and then stored in a specific container (first aid kit?) to keep the sterilised status.

23 hours ago, hyperchondriac said:

Disinfectant applied to a boiled bandage would be intended for the wound, I would think.

Certainly not a bad idea though, it'd be very handy when there are no alcohol wipes available, and is a far preferable option to splashing good whisky around

: ]

+1 on adding the boiled bandages to the game.  I'd also suggest adding instruments (tweezers, suture needles) to this mechanic too.

If you really want to nit-pick, or fear this could make the game too easy; they should probably need to be removed from the pot with boiled or disinfected tweezers, and then stored in a specific container (first aid kit?) to keep the sterilised status.

What could balance it is if a player didn't learn that this was possible without the use of a skill book or leveling the medical skill up to x level.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:03 PM, NebNebber said:

It should be boiled to clean, aka sterilized and then disinfected.

I dont often play mp where supplies can get low but in sp after a few months i have enough bottles of disinfectant for me and a small army of npc's.

Actually if something is sterile, it's disinfected.