Trapping Skill?

Strats

I've looked on the wiki, but I cannot figure out exactly how the trapping skill works when trying to catch animals. Does it make my traps stronger when I build them, do catch rates go up, is it a combination of the two? I'd really appreciate the knowledge. Thanks!

Trapping is pretty much the worst skill in the game.

With 0 skill, you have to use mousetraps, which are rare and can break.  They can also only catch animals that eat the same things you do, and the prey don't provide much more hunger than the bait used to catch them.  And they only work if left at least 75 tiles away for at least an hour.  Meaning you can't use them in your fort.  And the trapping magazines are pretty rare, so you may never be able to make anything better than a mousetrap. 

Fishing is strictly better.  Hell, using fish net traps is perfect.  The ingredients used to make them arent used for much else, they don't break if you're careful, 3 catch enough baitfish to live on just by eating them and are easy to find enough wire and twine to make.

I have to agree that traping is not so good choice now. If you dont start with few points at start you wont lvl it up.

I was a bit sad when realized that traping is just for food and not for zed and human traps.

Stick traps + trowel = endless food.

Dig for worms with trowel, place worms in stick traps, have tasty birds to eat.

Stick traps can be anywhere. No idea where the 75 tiles idea comes from. I have half a dozen on the roof of my safe house. They work great. The nutritional value of birds is far better than the worms used to catch them.

Remember with the recent nutrition overhaul that hunger reduction isn't your only concern. Carbs, proteins, and lipids all play a roll. So trading the carbs from your potato as bait to gain protein from the meat you catch might be vital to keeping your strength, etc up.

Archived