Sweater Strings Mod

dangalong

I made this mod because I wanted there to be a more sustainable way to get string material (twine and thread) for use in trapping, fishing, and clothing mods. And it made sense to me that in real life, if you had to, you could pull apart the sweaters you find/loot from closets and corpses to get loose yarn strings that could be made into twine and thread usable for crafting items needing cloth string material, or even suturing wounds needing stitches in a pinch.

This is my first PZ mod and I kept it very simple. I made it for myself, but I also wanted to share it if I got it working right. It tests fine in build 33.2. Of course, it is not very complicated. It doesn't overwrite anything vanilla, including the option to rip sheets of sweaters. It just adds the 1 new item (Loose Yarn) in the game and 3 new recipes (Pull Apart Sweater, Make Twine from Yarn, and Make Thread from Yarn). Sorry for the crappy-looking icon for the Loose Yarn, but I wanted it to have it's own icon and I'm not that good at art.

The recipes to make twine and thread from yarn don't give back whole rolls, only partial rolls, and you can only get the yarn from sweaters, not any other cloth items. It also takes a little extra time to craft the twine and thread from the yarn compared to most other simple recipes in the base game, because I think it would be kind of tedious in real life to get good results out of it.

Update: I decided to add the ability to also convert thread into twine, and vice versa, with only a small yield of return, since it seemed to make sense if they can both come from the same base item. Download links below have been updated with the new version file.

Download Link

SweaterStrings.zip

Edited by dangalong
updated mod

Thanks for the compliment. I would add it to Steam Workshop but I was having problems figuring out how to do that. Seems like it should be easy, but I couldn't find a way to upload anything to my Content/Workshop Items tab. I've never posted anything there before.

On 4/11/2016 at 2:12 PM, dangalong said:

I made this mod because I wanted there to be a more sustainable way to get string material (twine and thread) for use in trapping, fishing, and clothing mods. And it made sense to me that in real life, if you had to, you could pull apart the sweaters you find/loot from closets and corpses to get loose yarn strings that could be made into twine and thread usable for crafting items needing cloth string material, or even suturing wounds needing stitches in a pinch.

This is my first PZ mod and I kept it very simple. I made it for myself, but I also wanted to share it if I got it working right. It tests fine in build 33.2. Of course, it is not very complicated. It doesn't overwrite anything vanilla, including the option to rip sheets of sweaters. It just adds the 1 new item (Loose Yarn) in the game and 3 new recipes (Pull Apart Sweater, Make Twine from Yarn, and Make Thread from Yarn). Sorry for the crappy-looking icon for the Loose Yarn, but I wanted it to have it's own icon and I'm not that good at art.

The recipes to make twine and thread from yarn don't give back whole rolls, only partial rolls, and you can only get the yarn from sweaters, not any other cloth items. It also takes a little extra time to craft the twine and thread from the yarn compared to most other simple recipes in the base game, because I think it would be kind of tedious in real life to get good results out of it.

Update: I decided to add the ability to also convert thread into twine, and vice versa, with only a small yield of return, since it seemed to make sense if they can both come from the same base item. Download links below have been updated with the new version file.

Download Link

SweaterStrings.zip

Very logical and makes much sense :)

• 2 years later...