the zukon territory in zanada

xXxFANCYCAPYBARA36xXx

1 hour ago, critical jim said:

impassable floor tiles and a shadow overlay. awesome, and simplicity itself

EDIT: @xXSly_WolfyXx, for the sake of isometric perspective, dune 2000

snipped the pic

Stuff like this is exactly what I had in mind for forests, it would blend in with the grass on the north side and then have a steep dirt cliff on the south, it would be about as high as the trailer park foundations give or take so players could walk over them, while others would be bigger and have invisible walls infront of them to give the illusion of being elevated ground and impassable.

7 hours ago, critical jim said:

This reminds me so much of The Long Dark, which could give you some inspiration if you haven't checked it out. Plus, I'm Canadian, so it's nice see someone represent lol.. makes me wish there was a Canadian flag pole

Your roofing is awesome; I find it very difficult so.. respect. Especially, it's small but, the roofing on that main street buffet building... can't believe I didn't think of that, I've been trying to think of creative ways to put those circus tent things above windows but they only come in 2 colours, so either way it will start looking a bit dull after a while.

I do have The Long Dark on Steam and I really REALLY love the game so much.

Its artstyle is really amazing and I found the nature and overall landscaping awesome, funny you mention it cause the initial idea of setting it in Canada actually came to me when I was playing that game just being all stunned at how awesome western canada and its nature really is.

A lot of the buildings I done were inspired if not 1:1 remade directly from pictures I took from the long dark and I was planning to set it in a small lakeside real life town in the Yukon territory that is called Dawson I think?

The very poor suburb house from the second picture I linked is an as close as possible street view remake from one of the dawson suburb buildings.

My main inspiration for everything gaming and creativity related that I'm doing however is The Last of Us and I kinda shifted the location over to my home state Indiana cause no one ever really represents it and sets it in the midwest (see the crew, or the driftless map for unturned, which completely left it out and made it a random big forest in both examples) but I'm still very excited about including Canada in PZ.

I'm mainly still waiting for the devs to add the new tilesets in and maybe update the tools a bit before I start my work on custom tilesets which I will then use for my next map the yukon territory, and that will include flagpoles and flags being retextured to the iconic and beautiful red maple leaf flag :) 

If the nature tiles and hills stuff works out for the canada map ill see about including them in my Indiana map too but that's all for the future.

Pretty sure I still got the mountaineers hut, the Mistery Lake camp office, and a WIP of the Pleasant Valley farmstead somewhere around:-)

Edited by zoeyflower

8 hours ago, critical jim said:

This reminds me so much of The Long Dark, which could give you some inspiration if you haven't checked it out. Plus, I'm Canadian, so it's nice see someone represent lol.. makes me wish there was a Canadian flag pole

Your roofing is awesome; I find it very difficult so.. respect. Especially, it's small but, the roofing on that main street buffet building... can't believe I didn't think of that, I've been trying to think of creative ways to put those circus tent things above windows but they only come in 2 colours, so either way it will start looking a bit dull after a while.

add shading under that bridge and im sold that this is a 3d game with elevation after all lol

8 hours ago, critical jim said:

pretty much hit the nail on the head.. i know I should prob be a professional artist.. just trying to show other possibilities; the perceived elevation is purely aesthetic:

blend.png

All we need to do is have mash make those tilesets + Implement them into the world, Which would only take like....10 or so months... Would be so worth that long wait though.

4 hours ago, critical jim said:

@xXSly_WolfyXx @zoeyflower thought I'd abandon my dream of becoming an artist and see what I could accomplish with existing tiles. Didnt forget your precious shadows either lol

waer.png

Thats pretty damn impressive especially with this being just the original tiles