7 Days to Die going console.

Kelefane

http://7daystodie.com/7-days-coming-to-consoles/

Interesting and odd all at once. That game isn't even close to being out of Alpha yet.  And they are saying a new DLC just for the console? Not PC too? Talk about alienating your PC audience who have been playing the game all along, if true.

Thoughts? Does anyone here play this game? 

Edited by Kelefane

Thais whole text just irritates me. I love Telltale's TWD, but I hate how stupid they think people are in that text. If only that were made on April 1st. 

“Telltale Publishing seeks to bring the best and most innovative games in their genres to new audiences. 7 Days to Die has already thrilled over 1.5 million PC users worldwide, and we’re delighted to bring this game from the PC to consoles everywhere,” said Steve Allison, SVP Publishing at Telltale, Inc. “The Fun Pimps have redefined what the survival genre can be with unrivalled world-building, crafting, and character growth. With overwhelmingly positive user feedback for the PC version, we can’t wait to expose a brand new audience to this exceptional and terrifying sandbox experience.”

Fans of Telltale’s The Walking Dead series will be excited to learn that pre-ordering7 Days to Die will give them exclusive access to 5 character skins from Telltale’s hit series, including Michonne and Lee Everett.

“7 Days to Die is a labor of love for our small group of games industry veterans. After a highly successful Kickstarter campaign, we’re grateful to have had a wonderful response from our active community of Steam Early Access users; now, our partners at Telltale Publishing are enabling us to get the game in front of new survivors across the globe” said Richard Huenink, Co-Founder of The Fun Pimps.“We’re very excited that Telltale brought us together with the folks at Iron Galaxy, to build the game collaboratively and specifically for consoles. They have a stellar track record, and have been incredible partners in ensuring a perfect translation that includes new features and content not seen in the PC version.”

Reading that, after trying 7 Days to Die, and knowing TIS's effort and dedication, plus the most important: actual care for their fans, infuriates me beyond comprehension. Not going to reply to this topic anymore because I've said as much as I can say without being banned.

Edited by MadDan2013

I can see this going either way honestly.

But you need to realize that every game that was developed cross-platform had more or less features cut, dumbed down or altered, because "it don't work for the gamepad-kiddies on their consoles".

A good example is possibly X:Rebirth? Made for PC for a decade or more, they [devs] decided to go Xbox, then SCRATCHED that Idea but they left the messed up menus (obviously optimized for gamepads) in the game, still existing Xbox logos and button textures are a hint to that.

Another one? Skyrim. All the Elder Scrolls were good on PC, as soon as they went for the Xbox and PS kiddies, we got: no more spellcrafting, no more attributes, dumbed down magic system, "menu ring" (that pre-inventory screen), gamepad optimized inventory and menus, blah blah.

In the end, you can't stay on this course. You WILL have to dumb things down even more, include a "better" control over character and inventory so the crying console kids can play the game, etc.

The essence of this rant is, the game will become yet another screwed up console port with no resemblance to the original game. And "we will still keep developing the game OUR way" is a no go as soon as you get involved with another company. One second you look away, TFP, and the 'others' will pull your strings, or the money stops. You don't wanna finish the port? Oh well, lawsuit incoming.  

You may as well throw this game in the bin if this is not a late Aprils fools joke. 

On average console gamers are not 'kiddies'. 

I can't imagine why a developer would want to get into the biggest gaming market and have to develop their game on a stable OS with universal hardware.

U.S. for 2014:

• 58% of Americans play video games
  • Average age of players: 30
  • 68% are above 18 and older
  • 45% are female (up from 42% in 2012) and are usually over 18
  • Average of 2 gamers per household
  • 51% of households own at least one console
  • Average age of purchaser: 35
  • 77% of gamers play at least one hour a week
  • 36% play games on their smart phone
  • Parents are involved in their kids’ game purchases 89% of the time
  • 79 percent of parents place time limits on video game playing, compared with 78 percent who limit Internet usage and 72 percent who limit TV viewing

Statistics are made up from a very small pool of people that is suppose to be representative of the general population. Without sample sizes and error margin, it is very difficult to guess how truthful what they represent actually is.  I could sit and have fun poking logic holes in statistics all day, because they rarely take into account actual phrasing of questions and quantified answers, because that kind of information doesn't create wonderful magic numbers to quote and graph.

That said, the console market exists, sure, and they collect dust when not actively used. Huge difference between having a console and actively using it. Do I have a PS3? Yes. Am I actively game on it? No, I'm writing from my computer while playing Rimworld and I won't be playing any games on the PS3 today for certain, probably not until next week when I play Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn again.

Personally, I wish them all the luck in the world to buck the trend of angering the people that helped put them in the position to do it in the first place. But I'm skeptical at this point with the other decisions they have made in the past. I was one of those people in your examples Kelefane, in fact every one of them, and your right on all counts, some sacrifices have to be made in order to play most PC games on a console. (Assuming the game wasn't developed from the start to be played on a console, that is.) Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn is one of the few games that I can honestly say doesn't sacrifice anything extremely valuable on the console versus the PC version.

33 minutes ago, kirrus said:

Did you know, Project Zomboid is fully playable on a controller, and is designed partially with controller play in mind? For this reason, they may port it to consoles after 1.0 is stable.

But at least the game will be fully released then. Hell, if nothing was promised the game could be ported right now with the new animations. Thankfully they're not though. I can't wait to hopefully play it on console. It's just easier to set up and play since everyone's systems is the same. :-D

3 hours ago, kirrus said:

Did you know, Project Zomboid is fully playable on a controller, and is designed partially with controller play in mind? For this reason, they may port it to consoles after 1.0 is stable.

By 1.0,  does that mean when the game initially gets out of Alpha/Beta? 

I can understand them adding console SUPPORT, as in controllers and optimizations.

But releasing it on consoles when the game is barely even finished? That's just... Why?

Seeing as they're rushing it out to consoles and already selling out third-party skins for money, I'm very concerned as to the future of the game's development.

The same thing happened to the Escapist, it was rushed out of early access, rushed onto consoles and then made a terrible spin-off based on a third-party property. Oddly enough, the Escapist spin-off was Escapists: The Walking Dead. Not even kidding.

17 minutes ago, ethanwdp said:

But releasing it on consoles when the game is barely even finished? That's just... Why?

That is my biggest issue with it. To me, it sounds like the original devs/makers of the game are looking for a quick cash grab and are on the verge of selling out. I suspect the game will be owned by TellTale in full down the road soon. 

Otherwise, why do this when the game is nowhere near completion?

Honestly why would you want to switch over to console? It's a dying market, sure there will be all those die hard protect the xbox/PS fans but why would you pay more on console for less features and pay less on pc for more features? Why they would switch over to PS4/Xbox i have no earthly idea, and theres constantly people ranting about how the Devs put more work and content on the computer versions than the console versions. Well thats because you just can't do it on console. The next thing you know they're gonna try to make it into a T.V show! (Which thats also a dying market since youngun's tend to go to youtube than the telly)

4 hours ago, Cdr.Keen said:

Then it's time for the 30th to finally get a change of voice - they always sound like 12 year old. :P

As an ex console gamer, almost in my 30s, I wouldn't speak in any game that has unruly 12 year olds in it. I don't have time for dealing with that. ;)

38 minutes ago, kirrus said:

As an ex console gamer, almost in my 30s, I wouldn't speak in any game that has unruly 12 year olds in it. I don't have time for dealing with that. ;)

I insta mute them and try to suppress that i'm losing against 12 year old :ph34r:

On 2016-04-08 at 11:38 AM, Queen Glory said:

Honestly why would you want to switch over to console? It's a dying market, sure there will be all those die hard protect the xbox/PS fans but why would you pay more on console for less features and pay less on pc for more features?

Consoles are a dying market? That's news to me.

1 hour ago, ethanwdp said:

Consoles are a dying market? That's news to me.

We're at the point, where smartTVs get an equal performance to consoles. Everything is changing to clouds and downloads and also crossgaming is a comming market.

In the next few years, there is no more need for extra devices - everything will be build in. So yes, consoles will die - next generation will be somthing different.

Edited by Cdr.Keen

I backed 7DTD on Kickstarter but haven't bothered with it for ages now ,not happy with the way things have gone in the game ,it used to look good and run quite well on my system (3.0ghz I5 GTX970 video card),but then they started playing around with it and it turned into an unoptimized mess! ,might reinstall an another couple of months and see if there's been any improvment but at the moment no thanks.

Edited by Darius359au

On 2016-04-11 at 0:13 PM, Cdr.Keen said:

We're at the point, where smartTVs get an equal performance to consoles. Everything is changing to clouds and downloads and also crossgaming is a comming market.

In the next few years, there is no more need for extra devices - everything will be build in. So yes, consoles will die - next generation will be somthing different.

Crossgaming? Google came up empty, so I don't know how to respond here.

Smart TV's being as powerful as a console claim doesn't seem to hold much ground after some Google-usage. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that even remotely matches the power of the PS4. If I'm wrong, which I probably am, please correct me.

Not sure what you mean by there will be no need for extra devices since everything will "build in."

Exclusives are the reason why people buy multiple consoles. When I wanted to buy a new console, I chose the PS4 because I liked the exclusives more than the ones on the Xbox One. I have a gaming PC for most games, and a PS4 for comfortable casual gaming.

It's like buying a truck for hauling things and a sedan for comfort. If there was a practical sedan-truck I'd buy it, but there isn't one right now or if there is it's either absurdly expensive or I'm unaware of it.

1 hour ago, ethanwdp said:

Crossgaming? Google came up empty, so I don't know how to respond here.

Smart TV's being as powerful as a console claim doesn't seem to hold much ground after some Google-usage. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anything that even remotely matches the power of the PS4. If I'm wrong, which I probably am, please correct me.

Not sure what you mean by there will be no need for extra devices since everything will "build in."

Exclusives are the reason why people buy multiple consoles. When I wanted to buy a new console, I chose the PS4 because I liked the exclusives more than the ones on the Xbox One. I have a gaming PC for most games, and a PS4 for comfortable casual gaming.

[...]

Cross gaming:

Gaming between different plattforms like Windows, OSX, Linux, tablets, smartphones - like Rocket League, where PC players are able to play with Xbox and PS4.

I'm talking about the future, but you also will find such concepts today like GameFly from Samsung (streaming games to tv), Playstation Now for Sony tvs (streaming PS3 games) or remote streaming for Xbox One to Windows 10 devices (streaming Xbox One games).

So yes, the next step will be the reduce of the console. No need for physical media anymore. There will still be exclusive titels, like Microsoft does with it's new store.

This is also a winning situation for the manufacturers, because they always subsidize the hardware itself. They will spare a lot of money.

Edited by Cdr.Keen

13 hours ago, Cdr.Keen said:

Cross gaming:

Gaming between different plattforms like Windows, OSX, Linux, tablets, smartphones - like Rocket League, where PC players are able to play with Xbox and PS4.

I'm talking about the future, but you also will find such concepts today like GameFly from Samsung (streaming games to tv), Playstation Now for Sony tvs (streaming PS3 games) or remote streaming for Xbox One to Windows 10 devices (streaming Xbox One games).

So yes, the next step will be the reduce of the console. No need for physical media anymore. There will still be exclusive titels, like Microsoft does with it's new store.

This is also a winning situation for the manufacturers, because they always subsidize the hardware itself. They will spare a lot of money.

How will they stream from a console if said console is too weak to run the game itself?

For example, how can I stream GTA V to my phone from my console if the console can't run the game?

2 hours ago, ethanwdp said:

How will they stream from a console if said console is too weak to run the game itself?

For example, how can I stream GTA V to my phone from my console if the console can't run the game?

I dunno understand what you like to say. If the game won't run, you can't play it anyway.

But even for GTA V it's possible: