Fully Custom Welded Weapons

Spracky

The idea is this; It would work similar to cooking. I take an aluminum bat, and want to attach nails and barbed wire to it.  Just like cooking, you will need the right tools (such as soup needs a pot, barbed wire would need wire cutters to get it the right length and a welder would be necessary as well). 

So in the crafting screen I choose aluminum bat and I am given the list that shows all attachments I can add. I select nails and wire. To make this it now requires I have the right tools like I said earlier. When I craft this, it remains an aluminum bat in the inventory screen, but when I mouse over it I can see what components are on it just like ingredients in a cooked meal. The components i add will adjust the damage and condition of the weapon. 

I now have an aluminum bat with barbed wire and nails, which does high blunt damage and has average quality. The higher your welding skill, the better condition/quality your weapons will be. This also works the other way around with a bad skill at welding, which will give you bad condition/quality weapons. 

I have a few more examples here:

Spears:

Metal Pipe + Kitchen Knife = Metal spear with good damage and low condition

Metal Pipe + Hunting Knife= Metal spear with high damage and good condition

Wood Axe + Screwdriver = Halberd with average blade damage and average stabbing damage

Fire Axe + Hunting Knife = Halberd with strong blade damage and strong stabbing damage

Aluminum Bat + Nails + Barbed wire = Powerful blunt damage with average condition

Aluminum Bat + Sawblade = Strong bladed damage with average quality

The list could go on and on. The great thing about this system would be its flexibility and lack a needing to make a ton of custom sprites and models besides the basic spears and halberds and other baseline weapons. All you would need to do is mouse over your weapons and you could see all its components. On a side note, I apologize for the font change. I copied a few things in from my notes on my iPad and could not figure how to change the font back, hopefully it's not an issue.

13 minutes ago, makkenhoff said:

This sounds pretty complex and a lot of balancing would be required. It might be a better mod idea as a result I think, but it does sound like fun and does add a little RP on what kind of weapon you would create.

I agree with the fact that it would take a lot of balancing, but as for complexity I have to disagree :) The idea behind this suggestion is to create something flexible yet simple. I personally feel it would be simple to implement because it is very similar to the cooking system already in place. Thanks for the feedback!

The idea is this; It would work similar to cooking. I take an aluminum bat, and want to attach nails and barbed wire to it.

How exactly is this supposed to work? Have you ever welded aluminium? I guess you haven't, because what you are suggesting is simply ridiculous. And even if you manage to mig/tig your nails to the bat, they will break off quickly.

Aluminum Bat + Sawblade = Strong bladed damage with average quality

Sigh. This was already stupid in dead island. Even if you somehow manage to securely attach a saw blad to a bat. What do you think happens to a sawblade once it hits a sturdy object, like a skull? The answer is: It will simply bend without doing any significant damage at all.

Edited by HerrKazuya
edit formatting

33 minutes ago, HerrKazuya said:

How exactly is this supposed to work? Have you ever welded aluminium? I guess you haven't, because what you are suggesting is simply ridiculous. And even if you manage to mig/tig your nails to the bat, they will break off quickly.

Sigh. This was already stupid in dead island. Even if you somehow manage to securely attach a saw blad to a bat. What do you think happens to a sawblade once it hits a sturdy object, like a skull? The answer is: It will simply bend without doing any significant damage at all.

Just a suggestion my friend :) The examples are just that, examples. The more important part of this suggestion is the system itself.

Too complex, no good reason to implement it to the game i think. Metalworking should be restricted to create simple materials/tools like nails etc and that's it.  I think developers are also against fully medieval era simulator through metalworking.

I personally would stick just to simple things in this case.

Edited by hrot

Well, I like it, cause I'm all for creativity when it comes to weapons/accessoires.

Ideally I wouldn't want everyone running around with the default axe, the default rolling pin, etc.

And I think that throwing weapons need some more love, because that would be what I would use to fend off zombies.

just my 6845 cents

If there were zombies in England, and somebody had the chance to go into an antiques shop and loot a sword or ten, I doubt he'd be thinking "I don't want to be a full 19th century simulator." I know the USA's a bit different because they've not got so many swords there, but I believe it would be unrealistic for a person to turn down something that would improve his survival odds because of trying to avoid anything medieval. The 18th and 19th centuries were not medieval, so if PZ swords were all like those then maybe everything would be fine? Pickling vegetables is medieval too, but that's no reason to avoid it.

Edited by Gaffa Tape Warrior
picking -> pickling

Addressing above, America would have swords, just not the typical medieval ones. There was the sabre that had a place in the Revolution and Civil War and I imagine that relics from them would have been kept around and there would be a huge market for replicas. So it's not as far fetched, just nothing medieval would have a place in there outside of replicas/museums/pawn shops. There's also Machetes, while not exactly the traditional idea of what a sword should be, it would be similar enough to regard. It has a great agricultural use all over the Americas (mainly south) so I guess it would make sense for them to have a place as well, especially considering the market for these kinds of survival items.

On topic, I find that these kinds of mish-mashed combo-weapons tend to not work in application without significantly damaging either weapon or not staying together when not put together professionally/properly. If you slash somebody with a typical blade that's attached to a heavier axe (with the momentum you would get from swinging an axe) you would probably break off the blade (assuming every form of that blade has the same degree of quality). And if you shoved a sawblade into a bat (I can't see how you would put it into an aluminum one) that would barely be effective. The likely sawblade you would have for this isn't deadly standing still, it's deadly when motorized and spinning.

Judging by the animation video, some kind of sharp spear is planned, so there is that.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

While it certainly looks cool, I wonder about the effectiveness of wrapping barbed wire around a blunt weapon. It might cause some nasty lacerations which could maybe be more effective against a person, but would that do anything to zombies that don't seem to feel pain or have any trouble with blood loss?