Your Mapping Process?

Sense of Right League

Hey folks, I'm going to be trying out mapping my city for PZ. I've got a drawing tablet on order to help me try to draw some of the diagonal and weird streets and also once I start drawing dirt and grass splotches. 

My question is what order do you experienced mappers do things to make it easier for you? I've got color swatches in Photoshop Elements 6.0 for all the PZ tiles and I've got the reference picture from google maps overlayed and transparent while I trace over the streets. Unfortunately I think that with my Photoshop there's no way to turn off antialiasing for any line shapes I draw diagonally so I have to trace them by hand with the pencil tool. Maybe I'll switch to Paint.net but I am much more experienced with PSE 6.0.

Then if I'm correct, once I save the BMP file, I load that into WorldZed and it'll turn it into a map? And from there, I edit it with TileZed?

Thanks everyone.

I would like an opinion on something I've been mulling over for a couple of days. Do you think I should switch to standard isometric streets or should I stick with the curvy streets I have made so far? Curvy streets mean that making street markings and maybe curbs are a no-go. But I would like to try to map out my city pretty closely, and it seems like there aren't too many maps with curvy streets in them.

Fresno_CABlock1.png

I would say keep the curvy roads since most buildings shown in the pic are not build along the curve, which will be easier to make and place on the map.

Maybe tweak a bit those streets on the right middle side.

For street markings and curbs, you can just make your own custom tiles.