Goodbye

ScribeHunter

( the following was a journal i picked up in the dead city, belonging to someone who recently passed, this first entry was actually a folded sheet of paper. )

My dearest Beloved,

I'm so sorry I couldn't help you, i  was too scared, i was too afraid....  my dear, i believed that you, of all people would find a way through this nightmare... you always did; you found a way for us to be together in the states, you found a way to allow my parents to give their blessings.... i loved you for your smile, for your personality, for your attitude in life...... you had a plan when the jiānɡ shī  began to appear.... my love, i had hoped that you would find a way for us to be together....

im sorry that i couldnt do anything as you fought them, one by one, until they became numerous, even as i stood with our food and our medical supplies with me, that i could cry out as they surrounded you, as you fought them all.... i believed that you would make it... even as you complained about the pain, and as we tried to move you upstairs...

I'm so sorry that i could only try to heal you even as your pain grew and grew, until your burdens were too much, until your body began to rob you of your fire.... until your smile disappeared... I'm sorry that i couldn't find it in me to spare you the horrors of ... becoming one of them... i wish i could've held you in my arms, i wished it was but a dream, that if i closed my eyes, the bite would go away... and that we were going to be fine...

Im sorry that i obeyed you one last time...

" run away " Im sorry that i Ran....

I cried as i ran, past our neighborhood, past the empty houses and cars, past the barricade, towards the city, remembering faintly the sound of a gunshot from where i left you.... when i found our shelter, our Bìhù i could only cry out in fear....

Im sorry that i was such a coward...

they are outside now... I can hear them scratching the doors, the barricades, as they try to break in.... I'm scared, my love...

I... i want to be with you soon... but, i dont want them to take me, so..

i will fight to the end, as you did.

Goodbye my dear, i hope to see you in the-

( second entry pt 1)

I... i am alive.

why? each one of them, laying on the ground, dead... i used the bats, i used the axe, i used everything we had to defend ourselves, down to the knives we bought before this nightmare....began.

but i still stood. I did not feel the pain that you described when you were bitten, but maybe it arrives in time... so i waited... until the sun fell, and nighttime arose...

but i still remained alive, and so i listened in the background... as i hear from a distance the sound of gunshots, a scream, and a woman cry out a name. i- i will walk to the sounds, perhaps if i am outside....

• 1 month later...

Archived