Hair growth and barbering!

Edd

Here is a quick list of what I'm going on about here, then I will tell you why I would like to see these things in Project Zomboid:

- Your facial hair and hair in general will gradually grow (obviously, no facial hair growth for female characters).

- Ability to shave your own beard with a razor + a shaving cream item to remove the chance of giving yourself facial cuts with the said razor.

- You can choose "Barber" as your pre-apocalypse occupation, giving you +1 Blade/Blade Maintenance and knowledge to cut your and others' hair (you would need a "mirror"-item on your person to cut your own hair or to be standing in front of a bathroom mirror when lights are on).

- Add an electric clipper item to shave/buzz your own head with (Barber job not required)

- Add barber's scissors alongside regular scissors to be used for trimming beards and giving different hair cuts (Barber job required)

- Add a book length of a skill book that teaches your character about barbering.

"Why would you want to do anything barber related?" Here is my standing on this question:

Hair growth would add a feel of time passing by in to the game. Your character's appearance changes, hours turn to days, your beard turns from a pathetic five o' shade in to a great big bushy wall of hair hanging from your chin and jawline. It could for some be a nice little flavor feature to be in the game - something to do when you're feeling a tad bored in-game. Barbering would be a roleplaying opportunity during multiplayer. You're sitting there in your makeshift fortress built out of wheeled trash bins and wrecked cars, grooming yourselves to pass time, jerk a feel of how it used to be before the dead rose from the ground or shaving yourselves bald out of the paranoiac thought that a zed might grab you by your luxurious locks when you are out there.

Nothing more, nothing less really. Lemme know what you think.

Edited by Edd

24 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

I would rather have the option of using a razor/scissors then you get to choose what hair/beard styles you want.

In my head, this idea, choosing the hair/facial hair style would only be an option for those with the (currently hypothetical) Barber job/knowledge. Even with those, you could still just shave it clean with that little progress bar.

Just now, Edd said:

In my head, this idea, choosing the hair/facial hair style would only be an option for those with the (currently hypothetical) Barber job/knowledge. Even with those, you could still just shave it clean with that little progress bar.

In my eyes that wouldn't really work, So if you don't have the trait you just get a shaved head? That would be terrible. Hair growth would be fine but having no real option other than going bald or having a full beard/long hair without the trait would just be stupid.

2 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

In my eyes that wouldn't really work, So if you don't have the trait you just get a shaved head? That would be terrible. Hair growth would be fine but having no real option other than going bald or having a full beard/long hair without the trait would just be stupid.

You could have the option to buzz your hair or give yourself a bowl haircut without in-game knowledge. I could be wrong about this (as I am on many things) but cutting hair is not very easy if you aim to not look like a crazed old man. =P

How would you perform this idea implemented in to the game, if we were to say it will be implemented?

Just now, Edd said:

You could have the option to buzz your hair or give yourself a bowl haircut without in-game knowledge. I could be wrong about this (as I am on many things) but cutting hair is not very easy if you aim to not look like a crazed old man. =P

How would you perform this idea implemented in to the game, if we were to say it will be implemented?

I would do it how I stated in my earlier post, Even I could cut my own hair since I usually go for long/messy It wouldn't be even but only being able to choose a bowl cut or a shaved head just wouldn't work imho.

6 minutes ago, xXSly_WolfyXx said:

Even I could cut my own hair since I usually go for long/messy It wouldn't be even

That's not a bad idea. Like, if you were to cut your own hair to be "long straight" without the in-game knowledge, you would get a "long messy" hairstyle.

Personal opinion: I would be perfectly happy to see just being able to grow the character's beard and shave it clean to start all over again added in to the game... But I like to branch simple thoughts out in to overly-complicated suggestions.

Edited by Edd

Just now, Edd said:

That's not a bad idea. Like, if you were to cut your own hair to be "long straight" without the in-game knowledge, you would get a "long messy" hairstyle.

This brings up the gameplay vs realism argument, In this case a mix of both would work. I would have hair growth while being able to change your style at anytime. It would give the immersion factor of time actually looking like it is passing while having a way to change your appearance. It's a win/win in my opinion. I get where you are coming from though.

1 hour ago, mieksta said:

Personally I do a pretty good job cutting my own hair. I just butchered my sweet fro a couple weeks ago with some scissors and it looks fine except I didn't do the hairline.

*Looks at profile picture*

Yeah... Nice hair... I think I'll go to the hairdressers actually.