Mass / Bulk

Slice985

There should be more then one measurement for an object. Weight is a good measurement, but it gets kinda weird about carrying capacity .

You are not gonna fit a refrigerator orlumber stack in a bag. If you were really gonna move one, you would equip it hold it. I can understand pulling a stack of logs, but are you really gonna tie it to you and drag it or are you going to grab the ripe and pull it behind you 

Nor can you really carry 50 things on your person. That is not in a bag. You would just drop everything. 

Thus would require adding things like a wheel barrel or sled for moving high bulk objects. 

This is not a fully thought out idea, just something I thought about . it might just be adding to much complication. 

Edited by Slice985

The PZ measurements are kind of a hybrid of weight and volume. They're a bit confusing and not very consistent. I think it'd make more sense to have separate measurements for both, because things that are large but light, and things that are small and heavy are hard to balance in the current system. Although it's probably not very high on their list of things to do.

Also, it's always been my idea that everything held in your main inventory is stored in or on your clothes, in pockets and such.

I think they also said they were going to add a dolly eventually so they'll probably make that the default method for moving very large furniture. I agree putting furniture in a backpack, or even stacks of logs is unrealistic. Maybe they could make you move it the same way you move corpses (both hands become locked on holding corpse, and corpse is stuck in main inventory until let go).

3 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

The PZ measurements are kind of a hybrid of weight and volume. They're a bit confusing and not very consistent. I think it'd make more sense to have separate measurements for both, because things that are large but light, and things that are small and heavy are hard to balance in the current system. Although it's probably not very high on their list of things to do.

Also, it's always been my idea that everything held in your main inventory is stored in or on your clothes, in pockets and such.

I think they also said they were going to add a dolly eventually so they'll probably make that the default method for moving very large furniture. I agree putting furniture in a backpack, or even stacks of logs is unrealistic. Maybe they could make you move it the same way you move corpses (both hands become locked on holding corpse, and corpse is stuck in main inventory until let go).

I say add A volume/ size, and a weight limit. Now a paper bag me be able to hold large items but not hold much weight without tearing, Which i would love to see, Just randomly your bag tears open dropping stuff for the horde behind you.

5 minutes ago, King Kitteh said:

Maybe they could add a thing where the different types of clothing you wear give you small bonuses to carry weight and reduction in your simple inventory. Make it so that vests (default for women, not sure what it is) and sweaters give you the least, and different other types and wearing things like maybe raincoats give you more and more.

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Colonel Spider said:

Maybe they could add a thing where the different types of clothing you wear give you small bonuses to carry weight and reduction in your simple inventory. Make it so that vests (default for women, not sure what it is) and sweaters give you the least, and different other types and wearing things like maybe raincoats give you more and more.

I could see this giving a small buff to your plain inventory, like maybe the clothing you wear determines the amount you can hold or carry, so cargo shirts plus a jacket would give you a good amount of room and weight while having a t-shirt and skinny jeans with no pockets leave you with only room for backpacks, and hand held items.

Just now, King jjwpenguin said:

I could see this giving a small buff to your plain inventory, like maybe the clothing you wear determines the amount you can hold or carry, so cargo shirts plus a jacket would give you a good amount of room and weight while having a t-shirt and skinny jeans with no pockets leave you with only room for backpacks, and hand held items.

And having nothing gives you like four items to carry, and the usual carry weight. They should also there add if you're carrying anything else like a weapon to weigh more because you have other stuff

Personally, I'm fine with the hybrid system we currently deal with. I think trying add both volume and weight would increase the bag management time when it is already time consuming as it stands. As to the comment about fitting a refrigerator in a backpack.. I'm not sure what mod your playing with, but you can't put any refrigerator in a bag. Maybe a mini-fridge, I've seen some pretty portable units in campers.

On 4/1/2016 at 10:50 PM, makkenhoff said:

Personally, I'm fine with the hybrid system we currently deal with. I think trying add both volume and weight would increase the bag management time when it is already time consuming as it stands. As to the comment about fitting a refrigerator in a backpack.. I'm not sure what mod your playing with, but you can't put any refrigerator in a bag. Maybe a mini-fridge, I've seen some pretty portable units in campers.

I would be fine if it was somehow logical that i can fit sledgehammers into paper bags and carry them without it tearing.

This is a great point, but I'm worried that implementing the change will skew the learning curve too much. This is something that would matter more when it's viable to store things in vehicles (or dollys/shopping carts). It's definitely messy as-is but it is going to take a lot to balance out.

11 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

This is a great point, but I'm worried that implementing the change will skew the learning curve too much. This is something that would matter more when it's viable to store things in vehicles (or dollys/shopping carts). It's definitely messy as-is but it is going to take a lot to balance out.

True but then again pz is just 1 big learning experience. 

Yeah, once larger portable containers are in, then I could see trying to do a re-balance on weight, especially certain items that are mentioned above. I'm just not convinced it is worth designing a completely new system; this will take up significant developer time, even if they have been brainstorming about it for some time. We collectively have to remember this is still an alpha, so expecting everything to be balanced and make sense is sometimes not the immediate goal. Having a feature complete game to balance is far easier to do than trying to do patch jobs every few months when someone notices a few inconsistencies, let alone come up with a brand new system as a result of noticing those inconsistencies.