Potato Warfare W.I.P.

guadalcanal

In a post apocalyptic wasteland where potatoes have rebelled against the humans, it is your job to crush the rebel uprising. Potato Warfare is a top-down two dimensional game, where you control a tank and fight 7(and counting) variations of the most deadly vegetable: the potato. Build factories, collect ketchup for health, upgrade your guns, and buy automatic turrets to reclaim earth. Enjoy yourself with a game that does not take itself too seriously. 

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4gs6ye4r5tfzm/Potato_Warfare.exe

Remember that I just began developing this game, and there remains a lot to be done. The highest wave so far is 14. Please post any criticisms, suggestions, or bugs that you find! 

Thanks for your time,

~Guad

I love the theme!

Concerning the game:

• You don't know what the buyable upgrades do until you actually buy them. I guess tool-tips would be cool!
  • I assume the background is work-in-progress. It somehow confused me and made me think this is some lane-based game for five seconds. :P
  • Is it ever viable to NOT be shooting constantly? If not, then just let the tank auto-shoot all the time, because the game is actually about positioning and dodging (and hopefully not pressing shift as often and regularly as you can). In any case: Allow the fire button to be held down instead of it having to be pressed again and again.
  • Interesting thing that the enemies bump from the edges and the game board loops for your tank. That gives you a neat edge while battling them.
  • I think the first waves a a bit dull since the enemies just shoot randomly (I think). You can't really do much dodging or anything. It's all about driving around targeting semi-well and pressing shift all the time. Things got much more interesting when the potatoes with glasses came in! Although these frantic fast ones made it kind of impossible to react to them in any reasonable way beyond "move as fast as you can, in any direction you can, all the time". The level where I only faced the ones with glasses was by far the most interesting to me!

Yeah, just some first impressions and thoughts. Keep it up!

@Nachtfischer Thanks for your response! The background is just a placeholder, sorry about the confusion :). I've been meaning to add tool-tips for a while now, I'll get to that as soon as I finish posting this. There is a machine gun upgrade which allows you to hold down the shift button constantly, (Not that you would know that without tool-tips) but I see your point. I'll lower the price of the upgrade at the very least. In regards to the potatoes, I agree that the first few waves are pretty monotonous, I'll try and spice them up a little bit. Also, slowing down the ninja potatoes would probably be a good idea too, as right now they are faster than the bullets.

Thanks for you detailed response!

~Guad