A "Cutting Edge" Welding/Anvil Solution

Spracky

The Anvil

With metalworking coming and the need for an anvil, many feel it would be rediculous to be able to make one. I agree with that, and also feel it would be rediculous to find one as well. Thus, I have discovered a solution. Steel I-beams (google it) are found in construction sites at Muldraugh, West Point, and McCoys currently. With a welder (more on that soon), one could noisily cut through one of these beams to create a makeshift anvil and carry it back to your base. This would involve a risky, realistic solution to the issue.

Edit: I decided to google and see if people have used I-beams for an anvil and sure enough they have. Apparently they aren't the greatest though, and ring very loudly... But it would still work.

Welding

As for this, making an Oxy-Fuel welder be discoverable in some garages and warehouses would be a good solution. They can be fueled by an oxygen canister (not sure where we could find these) and gasoline, and have interchangeable torches for welding and cutting. This welder can cut through several inches, and even a foot or two, of steel. They are fairly slow however, but that adds to the challenge. On top of this, they aren't that expensive, so it wouldn't be rediculous to find them around. Maybe they could be found in the car mechanic shops in Muldraugh and WP. Here's a wiki page to Oxy-Fuel welding and cutting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxy-fuel_welding_and_cutting

So there you have it, those are my suggestions. As for things to make with metalworking, I'd really hope for a lot of makeshift welded tools, weapons, and gadgets or traps. Whenever cars come around, it would be cool to modify them with metal spikes and sheet metal as well, if that's not too crazy.

Edited by Spracky

They're adding metal working and welding? Did I miss that Mondoid?

I'm no pro at welding, but I've never heard of ox-gasoline welding. I've only ever used oxygen and acetylene. I feel like gasoline would be too volatile because of it's hodgepodge composition. Also I'm not very sure how you would pressurize it to be pumped out in an even stream with the oxygen (if it were possible).

Also if this is added, I'd like to see a welding profession. Even though I know HOW to weld, I am not sure what I can weld out in the world without creating toxic fumes. So a trait like this should take a lot of skill points; I suggest 8.

I think if you're going to find a gas welder/cutter you'd find it in a car garage or warehouse. You may even find arc welders in a construction site. There are wire-fed welders that are easier to use. Those may be found in regular garages. You would still have to know how to set it up so you don't electrocute yourself though.

Edited by Demonic_Kat

Not sure how you missed the news, but yes metalworking is being added. As for oxy-gasoline welding, it's possible and even more effective than acetylene believe it or not. They have some info on that wiki page if you want to check it out.

9 hours ago, Spracky said:

Not sure how you missed the news, but yes metalworking is being added. As for oxy-gasoline welding, it's possible and even more effective than acetylene believe it or not. They have some info on that wiki page if you want to check it out.

Ah neat, just need to find a way to pressurize it.

Anvils aren't actually terribly hard to make. In fact, the in game map supplies you with everything you need to make a small, respectably portable and sturdy anvil! 

The rail line that runs through it. Old rail lines are good, heavy steel and with a little patience, [Okay, a -lot- of patience if you're using hand tools and a welding torch.] it wouldn't be impossible, or even very far fetched to make a suitable anvil. 

Also, oxy/gasoline welding is doable, but it burns on the hot side. It performs similarly to acetylene in most respects but I think is actually more stable. Don't take my word on that though. I'm no chemist.