Surviving scratches?

Sanctus

So I am playing on a private server with my bro and I've gotten scratched four five times,  And none infected me.

I have thick skin, does that mean less likely to be infected or less chance of receiving them?

Edited by loudboomaker

your probably just really lucky at least luckier than me (my last 4 characters all died from their first scratch >:T).

Don't quote me on this but I've heard that surviving a scratch decreases future infection chances, but I don't know if it was part of an earlier build or just false rumors.

I thought all scratches were 25% chance?

Bites 96%?

Something like that?

Pretty sure thick-skinned decreases the chance of getting the scratch/bite at all.  You can definitely see situations where you SHOULD have been scratched if you watch really hard :D.

Does anyone know if "Lucky" helps you once you do get scratched though?

Yeah, Thick Skinned doesn't make you more likely to survive a scratch. It decreases the chance of getting scratches in the first place, you'll still get hurt, but it won't leave a cut.

You always have a 25% of getting bit.

So if we do some calculations. You chance of surviving a scratch is 3/4. Multiply your five scratches.

(3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4)*(3/4) = 243/1024

243/1024 = 0.237

0.237*100 = 27.3

So you had a 27.3% chance of survival... Which isn't extremely lucky, pretty common.

It's more lucky that you received 5 scratches without getting bit once, especially considering the Thick Skinned Perk

Also.

11 hours ago, Quigleyer said:

Lucky has no affect on chance of infection.

EDIT: Saw it was 5 not 4 scratches

Edited by King Kitteh
Read statistic wrong

13 hours ago, Quigleyer said:

I thought all scratches were 25% chance?

Bites 96%?

Something like that?

Pretty sure thick-skinned decreases the chance of getting the scratch/bite at all.  You can definitely see situations where you SHOULD have been scratched if you watch really hard :D.

you've got the right numbers for a normal character. Thick skin reduces the chance of infection from scratches to 15% but does nothing for bites. It does make you less likely to receive a bite tho, I just can't recall the exact values.

7 minutes ago, bobchaos said:

you've got the right numbers for a normal character. Thick skin reduces the chance of infection from scratches to 15% but does nothing for bites. It does make you less likely to receive a bite tho, I just can't recall the exact values.

Where do you have those 15% from?

3 hours ago, bobchaos said:

Sorry I did a double-take on this one and so I'm asking if I understand it correctly.

So having thick skinned DOES reduce the chance of infection once you're scratched, AND the chance that you will be scratched?  Or just one?  I think I'm reading two different sets of opinions here.

I thought "Less likely chance of a bite or scratch breaking the skin" meant that you had a harder time being scratched, and I know I've been hit several times that could have scratched me, and only received "minor damage" when I've got thick skin.  

The math I'm seeing around here is also different than the math I was assuming on.  I thought if you were scratched you had a flat 25% rate, and if you were bitten you had a 96% chance to become a zombie.  Are you all saying that it's a 25% chance that you will be bitten when it rolls for scratch or bite when you take a hit?

Edited by Quigleyer

As I recall it goes like this: when a zombie hits you, it rolls to determine if it's a "punch", a scratch or a bite. This roll is affected by thick skin, I just have never seen any values on that. If you get a scratch, a second roll is done to determine if you will zombify. This roll is also affected by thick skin (-10% reduction according to the wiki, thx for looking that up King Kitteh!). Finally, if you get a bite, it's a second roll with a flat 96% chance of zombification with no possible modifiers (that I know of). So the roll that determines damage is separate from the roll that determines whether you zombify or not.

FYI, even if you're lucky and do not get infected from a bite, you are still extremely likely to die from the massive fever you're still going to get. You're not pulling through unless you have a huge food supply you can afford to eat up within a few days :/

Could just be the odds, but I usually survive scratches that don't cause bleeding, and am about a 65% chance of death when the scratch causes bleeding; this is cleaning with alcohol wipes and using sterilised bandages every time.

Spending a few days staying well-fed, only sleeping for 1-3 hours at a time so as to be able to change dirty bandages straight away, regularly taking painkillers and vitamins, and stripping off to avoid the sick/fever moodles seems to help, in the sense that I live long enough to eat all my canned food and use all my first-aid supplies before I die lol

2 minutes ago, hyperchondriac said:

Could just be the odds, but I usually survive scratches that don't cause bleeding, and am about a 65% chance of death when the scratch causes bleeding; this is cleaning with alcohol wipes and using sterilised bandages every time.

Spending a few days staying well-fed, only sleeping for 1-3 hours at a time so as to be able to change dirty bandages straight away, regularly taking painkillers and vitamins, and stripping off to avoid the sick/fever moodles seems to help, in the sense that I live long enough to eat all my canned food and use all my first-aid supplies before I die lol

After the first few hours, you'll know if you get zombified as it will say so next to your health meter. If you have a fever but do not get the zombified status within a day or so, having the max food moodle will keep you alive. You raise your chances further by using sleeping pills between meals. While you sleep you regenerate faster/lose less health to the fever. You  won't be able to change the bandages, but a common infection won't kill you nearly as fast as the fever will, might as well just change the bandages when you wake up and disinfect as needed.

So in short: Check for zombification, eat until stuffed, pop a pill, sleep 6-7 hours, check bandages, rinse and repeat until fever is gone.

If you get zombified status, might as well go drink some bleach :/

I always thought the chance of scratches infecting was much lower than 25%! Most of my characters are able to survive about a dozen scratches before getting zombified. Does anyone know if the scratch breaking the skin has any impact on the infection rate? I can't recall if I've ever got infected from a non-bloody scratch.

6 hours ago, Mouse said:

I always thought the chance of scratches infecting was much lower than 25%! Most of my characters are able to survive about a dozen scratches before getting zombified. Does anyone know if the scratch breaking the skin has any impact on the infection rate? I can't recall if I've ever got infected from a non-bloody scratch.

If it didn't break the skin it wasn't a scratch. It has to say it was a scratch. If you're talking about when a scratch is not bleeding, I'm pretty sure that just means it has already clotted.

That shouldn't change the chance of infection. Also note it has to be a scratch from a zombie, not window or otherwise. Those won't cause zombification.

Note that certain traits change infection rate, like resilient.

18 hours ago, King Kitteh said:

If it didn't break the skin it wasn't a scratch. It has to say it was a scratch. If you're talking about when a scratch is not bleeding, I'm pretty sure that just means it has already clotted.

That shouldn't change the chance of infection. Also note it has to be a scratch from a zombie, not window or otherwise. Those won't cause zombification.

Note that certain traits change infection rate, like resilient.

Huh, I could have sworn I've been scratched by zombies without it breaking the skin! I very rarely get scratches from things like windows, since I always remove glass before climbing through broken ones.  I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, thanks for clarifying c:

2 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Huh, I could have sworn I've been scratched by zombies without it breaking the skin! I very rarely get scratches from things like windows, since I always remove glass before climbing through broken ones.  I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, thanks for clarifying c:

Zombies don't just bite and scratch. They also have a "punch" attack, which does damage but doesn't leave an open wound. How did you know you were scratched? If it was from the injury or pain moodle, then that could have just been from the punch.

On 3/27/2016 at 11:05 AM, Mouse said:

Unless something's changed, the "punch" attack is where your health screen shows "slight damage" but there's no scratches, bites, etc.

Then you can get just "scratched" ie not bleeding, then you can get "scratched" and "bleeding".

In my experience, once you have the fever moodle it really doesn't matter if you're zombified or not, you'll probably die anyway.

I just had a fever kill my character 2-3 days after the scratch finished healing, the fever lasted around 8 days.

:?

On 3/27/2016 at 5:10 PM, King Kitteh said:

Zombies don't just bite and scratch. They also have a "punch" attack, which does damage but doesn't leave an open wound. How did you know you were scratched? If it was from the injury or pain moodle, then that could have just been from the punch.

I usually check my health panel immediately if I hear the crunchy/squelchy sound of a zombie landing a hit, so that's how I see if I've been scratched. So that's also how I've been keeping track of how many scratches I've gone without infection. I also sterilize and dress any and all wounds as soon as I can, but maybe the non-bleeding scratches have been from times I wasn't able to apply first aid before they stopped bleeding on their own?

8 hours ago, Mouse said:

I usually check my health panel immediately if I hear the crunchy/squelchy sound of a zombie landing a hit, so that's how I see if I've been scratched. So that's also how I've been keeping track of how many scratches I've gone without infection. I also sterilize and dress any and all wounds as soon as I can, but maybe the non-bleeding scratches have been from times I wasn't able to apply first aid before they stopped bleeding on their own?

I always bandage my wounds immediately (I always have rags in main inventory) so I don't think I've ever had a scratch that never bled from the start or that stopped bleeding before I got to it.

If it said it was a scratch then you indeed have a chance of infection (if it was from a zombie), though I'm pretty sure that sterilizing it reduces your chance of infection. It could be that it reduces it enough that you could manage to survive a dozen scratches.

Although I am rather dubious of you surviving up to 12 scratches anyway. Not so much from surviving the scratches, but the fact that you managed to get 12 without being bitten once.