Possible solution to sleeping in multiplayer

hrot

From realistic and balancing reasons sleeping is needed feature in multiplayer but there are not really good ideas how to do it at the moment.

I thought about something like this:

Character goes to bed/chair etc. and then he goes into invulnerability state when he can't be harmed for about 5-10min depends on how sleepy/exhausted he was.
So it would be something like forced afk.
Balance beetwen how fast character is getting exhausted in multiplayer and this "sleep" should be something around 1h of standard player activity and then need to go to "sleep" for 5-10min.

This system could be paired with safehouse system that is already in multiplayer.

Possible option could be that in safehouse you are perfectly safe and in other places when you sleep you could get robbed etc.

Other things that this sleep could affect:
ability to still chat with other players or not
ability to look at map when it will be introduced

I am sort of against a forced AFK as well as any form of invulnerability. If you are going to AFK, might as well just log out. Also, 5 minutes of sleep every 1 hour. That's sort of like Polyphasic Sleep cycles, where you are awake like 4 hours then sleep like 20 minutes, it is known as the "Uberman". But that is very hard to manage from what I have heard. I believe the military uses 45 minutes, but recommends 2 hours of sleep after a block of activity. I haven't read about the side effects of the Uberman. But i'm pretty sure the long term penalties of such sleep patterns would be fairly severe

I presented another Idea on the Reddit I will copy here. I was thinking something like this and while your character was sleeping you can log in as another character. 

Copied from Reddit

I think the problem of sleep can only be solved by taking a look at those... Shiver "Free to play games"

You boot up the app, you play for a few minutes till you run out of energy, then you close the app. Except in the case of Multiplayer PZ, you don't disappear from the world when you log out, you are still there... asleep until you log back in or until you reach the sleep timer in which case you are logged out.

If your character would instead be woken by something terrifying.. you "wake up" by automatically logging out. Then when you log back in, you get a note that your sleep was interrupted. So you can't really be killed by anyone while you sleep unless they stealth up on you and knife you. but you can have your sleep interrupted a lot by people shooting off guns or breaking stuff.

You can possibly set how you want to sleep. "Trusted Sleep" which means you don't log out till you take damage. "Regular Sleep" you don't log out until you hear something threatening like gunshots or broken glass or zombie moans. or lastly "Paranoid Sleep" you log out if you hear anything other then the nature soundtrack.. I mean if you woke to lightning.. you would just go back to sleep.

Edited by Slice985

When i was talking about hours i meant normal time not in-game time.

People just want to play so i don't think your idea is very good. This kind of "forced" afk is good idea of balancing realism and being good for players/game itself.

3 minutes ago, hrot said:

When i was talking about hours i meant normal time not in-game time.

People just want to play so i don't think your idea is very good. This kind of "forced" afk is good idea of balancing realism and being good for players/game itself.

Fair enough

1st thing is why we want to sleep in MP ?

For most of us its a part of realism, way to force us to find a safe stop during long travel. To limit number of things we can do during the day.

For big MP servers it will never be possible to skip the night.

a 5 min of sleep during the 45m-1h day imo its a sweet spot. We will have to find a safe place to survive that 5 min or ask someone to look after us.

Ofc depending on traits we could get an option to wake up faster if thers a noise around, it can be "black screen" or we would have some vision around.

I hope that sleeping will be part of multiplayer soon in one way or another.

and if...

(we know each avatar has its own sleep features.)

example : i'm very tired, need to sleep 10hours, so i rest 5 min (10*30s for example), during which my screen is black, and i'm afraid to be attack... and hope my friends covered me...

5 min is no so long... although..

Even tho i do not play multiplayer i propose a solution: hidden sleep. So like you can opt to sleep under the bed. So nobody can see you sleep but players have the option to search beds so they are still discoverable but very hard to do so. Large garbage bins and many other hiding places can be used too. After a certain time the player is assumed to be refreshed and are no longer discoverable until he or she logs in. So after sleep player loggs off then after 7 hours server daylenth time player dissapears.

Edited by ShuiYin

Agree, something like this would be a good solution. Could work like this:

1) Characters only need 5min of sleep / hour. That's a good time span to take a quick break from playing.

2) Coffee, energy drinks and amphetamines lower the need to sleep (temporarily?).

3) Logging off in a bed counts as sleeping. Add some mechanic that makes sure that this is only useful in a safe area.

I think a minecraft-esque sleep system could work fine in multiplayer.

Those who sleep in a bed will stay there and lose their tiredness, but when everybody gets to bed, the minimum hours everybody sleeps for is passed, and those who need more sleep are still sleeping.

The big issue with that, though, is larger servers. But that is definitely better than having nothing.

They should just add sleeping the same exact way it is in single player... end of story. You can do split screen multiplayer in single player mode and sleeping works just fine. The only thing you need to worry about is getting stuck sleeping for hours in real life. Which can easily be solved by allowing us to interrupt sleep.

Best way to do this mechanic for mp would be to implement sleeping animation for beds and chair, sleep would be based on real time factor in game while you are online as well as offline. If you log out and are sleeping obviously you can get killed in your sleep if not in a safe place.

15 minutes ago, wintermuteai1 said:

Best way to do this mechanic for mp would be to implement sleeping animation for beds and chair, sleep would be based on real time factor in game while you are online as well as offline. If you log out and are sleeping obviously you can get killed in your sleep if not in a safe place.

I kinda like this, but it would really screw weekend warriors. They can't sleep between sessions and if they do then spending a week logged out they login dead. 

While I am forced to go 'AFK' while my player sleeps I could go play: http://store.steampowered.com/app/445730/?snr=1_4_4__123

It would be about as much fun.

I like the game play element of having to find a safe place to sleep like you do in SP, but forcing me to do nothing IMO does nothing for game PLAY.

Edited by CaptKaspar