General Creativity

Pixel Bombs

Believe it or not I knew before I saw the name! I tend to do that with names, too.

He is my favourite Firefly character. I was so sad when the thing that happens in the movie happened. It still makes me sad.

Lots of writers about I see (clyde)

Unfortunately I don't have the time to write as much as I did, most of the writing I'm doing now is for dialogue and story branching for my game. It's one of my favorite hobbies, and something I was looking to seriously get into, money wise.

I think for anyone to be an aspiring writer, you should always start with short stories. I learned at least that short stories is very good practice and helps you learn the craft. Share them about with your friends and get their honest opinions, feedback is essential for any writer and without it you don't really know how it will be perceived by others.

Also, challenge yourself with difficult subjects, although naturally you want to maintain an interest in your work so it would have to be a genre your interested in.

One of my working novels, has to be going four years now, is a Halo fan fiction story. Odd thing, since I'm not a halo fan! However, I've got quite a few friends who are into Halo, and at least two of them are diehard fans of the series. They asked me to write a short story for it, and what was meant to be a short story turned into a full novel. I wouldn't have continued it if it wasn't for the positive feedback, which was motivation in itself to expand it.

Cue endless hours and weeks of research into the Halo universe... Urgh. But it's nearly finished, and once done it will be posted on several of the fan sites. It was a very difficult story to approach, because being a non-halo fan I had to be constantly aware that I don't piss off any potential fan readers in the future. Course, I had the good fortune of having mates who would proof-read my work, and point out any irregularities. But yeah, one of my most difficult challenges yet, in terms of writing. Had a few writer-block moments but overall once its finally finished it will be worth it, even if I endure the hatred of any fan-readers for it..

I had two more larger stories planned, but are on indefinite hold at the moment. One of them was a infected (not classic zombies, sorry!) survival series called Dark Days (working title), revolving around the adventures of myself and my mates, in Dublin, during the initial outbreak. There would also be chapters with a few friends over in England, whom one of them was going to write up his England chapters, with myself editing and overseeing it. Had some nifty idea's for it, including a survival tracker of sorts, so the reader could look up how many supplies we had, etc.

Another one, which was my first step into writing a large story, must be 10 years old now, was a fantasy set in a fictional world that I had designed myself. A Song of Ice and Fire was the main inspiration behind it, as mine was also set in a low-fantasy world, but it was a far far more linear tale. The protagonist of the story, a former guild assassin called Barrick Mane, gets involved in some seedy political maneuvers by the reigning Major of the city that he resides in. This would have branched out into a much bigger story had I finished it. The story itself was called Xydonus (took the name of the character and used it as my own online nickname, from then on), whom of which is the antagonist, although that's what I wanted the reader to believe anyhow :P

Can't remember the entirety of the plot, but Xydonus was a member of a forgotten order of Necromancers, practitioners of the dark arts. Magic has since all died out so Xydonus is one of the rare few left from a bygone era. Eventually Barrick Mane gets embroiled in a plot that would see him hunt down Xydonus. Can't really remember any more than that, might have the few chapters I did on a old hard drive somewhere.

The longest running work I've got is a novel that I've been writing for... probably 6 years now? Like I said above (I think), it's been through 3 full re-writes (from scratch) and more than two dozen major drafts. And still not finished D=

Since I recently posted about my long-lost musical escapades in another forum... you shall get haunted by a copy of that post, too. :D

So, I went digging inside my - to my own surprise quite big (more than 200 songs) - musical archive. It's interesting, surprising, awkward and embarrasing to listen to these in some cases almost 8 years old songs. In short: It's a lot of fun (to me)! I hope you'll not feel like your time was utterly wasted by reading this thread or even listening to some of the stuff. clear.png

I debated on whether to torture you guys with my terrible vocals or just upload some instrumentals. I decided to give you the best (worst?) of both worlds! clear.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Asche des Lebens
This was my main (solo) project back in the day. It's English name is something like "Ashes of Life". It's Gothic Rock/Metal with neo-classical touches, often including pretty cliché DARK lyrics.

Instrumentals
These songs are meant to have vocals (actually there are versions with - really bad - vocals), so you will encounter musical repetitiveness.

• Schicksal Mensch ("Destiny Mankind") ~ Kind of a slow and longer piece. Heavy on piano and orchestral stuff.
  • Schwarze Seele ("Black Soul") ~ This was my "hit" at the time (it was even played regularly on some German internet radio stations). It's a straight forward Gothic Rock song.
  • In der Dämmerung ("At Dawn") ~ Piano-heavy semi-ballad. Dark and sad. Lol. clear.png
  • Quo Vadis ~ Early work here. Somewhat pop-like.
  • Equilibrium ~ Supposed to be some epic orchestral piece full of SAD emotions, of course.
  • Suizid der Menschlichkeit ("Suicide of Humanity") ~ Yeah, had to upload something ROCKING, too.
  • Rote Tränen ("Red Tears") ~ I don't know, I like this somehow. It's more uplifting at times compared to my other stuff. Still, obviously no major chords, haha.

Songs with obnoxious Vocals
Be aware!!!

• Messiah No. 2 ~ Hey, English lyrics! It's a totally over the top self-indulgent song. Please, don't take it seriously... but that's probably obvious?
  • Für die Ewigkeit ("For Eternity") ~ Electronic gothic pop song. Well, it has a somewhat nice refrain, I suppose?
  • Der Fluch des Meeres ("The Curse of the Sea") ~ Okay, here you'll hear me scream! Bombast Black Metal galore!

Black Sol
A side project supposed to be much more METAL than Asche des Lebens.

Warning: "Vocals"

Fun Stuff
Okay, two bonus songs. This is me on drums with my FATHER(!) on vocals and all the rest. Recorded (almost) live, a decade ago in a dark basement somewhere in the south of Germany. Now, is this the underground shit or what? That was how I got into making (composing) music in the first place. It was great fun and I really miss the times! clear.png

Haha those songs were fun Nacht. Your vocals aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be XD I like your "ballad" vocals especially. I always kind of forget how interesting German rock can be, then I hear something like this and it reminds me! Thanks for the post.

We should do a writing contest again. But Red can't join, because he'd make me look bad.

• 3 weeks later...

CLEAR! *bzzt*

Good 'ol thread revival. I don't have much to show but damnit I refuse to let this thread die!

A self portrait that is unfinished due to me formatting of my hard drive and lack of backing anything up.

TcrqEJG.jpg

Bruce Lee study using only hard brushes. More of an experiment really.

F89or9G.jpg

And a bonus. College can get boring okay...

MVRJ0jy.jpg

The bonus one makes me smiley face. Why'd you decide to not use colour?

I never intended it to happen but I like drawing with just values. It started out as value practice but I just got really comfortable with it and stuck.

*blank stare*

I... uh... yeeees, I agree.

(that went over my head so fast I think it trimmed my mohawk)