General Creativity

Pixel Bombs

It's been a while, have some random stuff I've been working on. 

vlOiRsh.png

hXOMG7u.png

BzPAxtx.jpg

jvhkZzJ.jpg

7f58FjJ.png

T4adPFb.jpg

From top to bottom:

• A small scene thrown together to test a low resolution pixel art style - Soon to be an animation project for college
  • Multiple Border Collie poses - First attempts at rigging, went pretty well
  • PBR Trash Bin - Refining my Physically-Based Rendering workflow, brushed metal was fun and the model itself was simplistic enough.
  • A phone based on the Nokia 3310 - Fan art for Project Reality, hence 'REKIA' instead of 'NOKIA'
  • An unfinished IED, first attempt at PBR.

-image-

Progress!

That's really, really clean and awesome. Mind if I ask you how you're doing it? I've seen a bunch of people on Polycount do similar things and it's a piece of information that I'd love to know!

To put it bluntly, because I kind of just stumbled through it:

-Make a car model (I didn't skin it, will get to that)

-Render with some kind of cartoony shader in somewhat of a high resolution. The exact size really doesn't matter, as long as its significantly larger than what you want to end up with.

-Scale it to the proper size in Photoshop with nearest neighbor interpolation (This is why it looks so clean. I've tried rendering at the proper resolution beforehand, but the finer details tend to get lost or muddled)

-Overlay colors and fine details like door cracks and grilles (If you do it this way instead of texturing it, theres the added bonus where you can swap paint colors by just adjusting the hue on whatever layer you put it on. Also easier than skinning, but admittedly still kind of tedious)

-If it needs to be cut into pieces like zomboid requires, you either need to fruitlessly try to follow contours in Photoshop, or fool around with clipping planes and render each tile separately.

Probably not the most help, but its about all I can remember right now.

-image-

Progress!

That's really, really clean and awesome. Mind if I ask you how you're doing it? I've seen a bunch of people on Polycount do similar things and it's a piece of information that I'd love to know!

-Render with some kind of cartoony shader in somewhat of a high resolution. The exact size really doesn't matter, as long as its significantly larger than what you want to end up with.

-Scale it to the proper size in Photoshop with nearest neighbor interpolation (This is why it looks so clean. I've tried rendering at the proper resolution beforehand, but the finer details tend to get lost or muddled)

-Overlay colors and fine details like door cracks and grilles (If you do it this way instead of texturing it, theres the added bonus where you can swap paint colors by just adjusting the hue on whatever layer you put it on. Also easier than skinning, but admittedly still kind of tedious)

-If it needs to be cut into pieces like zomboid requires, you either need to fruitlessly try to follow contours in Photoshop, or fool around with clipping planes and render each tile separately.

Actually really helpful and concise,  much appreciated. :)

I'm assuming you'd render it from an orthographic view rather than perspective? Seems to make more sense.

-image-

Progress!

Actually really helpful and concise, much appreciated. :)

I'm assuming you'd render it from an orthographic view rather than perspective? Seems to make more sense.

Yep. Or you can do it with perspective if you mess with the lens settings if that poses a problem.

I'm no regular sketcher, but I sometimes have outbursts of creativity and try to put them on (virtual) paper.

The first one's probably the idea I'm the proudest of. I even made a t-shirt out of the last panel (without the text) for my bro's birthday a few years ago.

Then the rest... a few ideas here and there. I may try to apply for a teefury design, one day. Overall, I've never really tried to create my own things but I feel quite comfortable modifying what already exists, in a more or less humorous way.

My outdated DeviantArt for those who wouldn't mind a glance.

grab_all_the_items__by_tee_see-d65xsjb.j

the_n_team_by_tee_see-d6kwk5c.jpg

duck_nukem_by_tee_see-d6qfs3q.jpg